Roof Out as DC

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This tells me that Johnson is under some pressure. Who is going to take the job knowing that the head coach only has 3 years left on his contract and is under pressure? Are we going to guarantee a DC's contract?

Not sure how this is going to work.

Wasn’t GO’L hired with kind of a wink-wink that if something went wrong with b.l. that he would be the next guy?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
IF the replacement is Nate Woody. I wonder how much GT will pay him? I also wonder if Woody is hired will he bring anyone with him from his current App. State staff? Will it be less than what Roof was making which would enable GT to spread the money out amongst current coaches with raises or enable us to go after other position coaches with larger salary offers w/o having to increase the overall budget. Or it would be even better if Stans...gave us more money for the overall football staff budget. Thoughts?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Auburn is on their third DC since Roof left them. I hope we do better than Auburn on our next pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With holding practically a given on every offensive play, spread offenses with burners everywhere and quarterbacks who can thread the needle these are perilous times for defensive coordinators. It is a tough way to make a living. Blitz and you run the risk of getting burned deep. Stay in zone and they pick you to death. Long gone are the days when a touchdown lead in the fourth quarter was better than a pond full of catfish.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why should we expect anything different from CPJs fourth DC?

We shouldn't. What we can expect is two years where people make excuses saying "wait until *insert coach* gets his guys and can play his style". Year 3, when it doesn't improve, they'll set the groundwork for the next reason Johnson isn't at fault, and start to blame the next DC. In year 4 calls will begin for the DC to be fired and once against people will ask why this time will be different.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We shouldn't. What we can expect is two years where people make excuses saying "wait until *insert coach* gets his guys and can play his style". Year 3, when it doesn't improve, they'll set the groundwork for the next reason Johnson isn't at fault, and start to blame the next DC. In year 4 calls will begin for the DC to be fired and once against people will ask why this time will be different.
Coach fixed a lot after 15.
With Roof departure he will get an agressive dc.
I just hope we can teach the offensive players their assignment. Sewalk and company had 4 years to teach stick and he missed a ton of assignments. I hope coach fixes the offensive execution . I fear he will let those ast coaches slide.

Milwaukee

Banned
giphy (2).gif

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Seeing it on reddit and twitter a bit, but it could just be people jumping to conclusions. One of the folks who kind of confidently made the claim deleted their comment when people started asking questions, so it looks suspicious. Though I'm taking everything with a grain of salt, since everyone claims to be an insider. I would just say if we hear nothing by Monday, it's probably not happening. You want a DC in as soon as possible as damage control for recruiting and to start establishing a plan.
Recruiting? They already signed, we need 4 more guys.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was at a party in NC last night when a NCSU graduate told me that Roof was coming there. He is co DC with Huxtable who also spent time at Tech. Roof and family are familiar with the RDU area. Dorean just got a contract extension so staff should be stable a few more years. Huxtable may not be coaching that much longer. They already play a bend don't break style at NCSU. Wasn't happy when I said that is Roof D. The big thing was they want to improve recruiting in Atlanta. That probably was the big attraction.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Think about this... all these kids were well aware of roof leaving yet we only lost one recruit.

As I recall, we often lose players and recruits through mid-January (e.g. start of Spring Semester).

Let's wait to pop the cork on the players and recruits till then. (I recognize you only talked about recruits but I'm also thinking there could be player losses.)

Eli

Helluva Engineer
1. Are we sure they were well aware?
2. Is it possible that Ted went out with an extra measure of class, being positive toward staying with GT to the current recruits?

Because I don't think Ted Roof is like Jimbo Fisher. We never heard a word about Ted recruiting this off season which is very unusual

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ted is a good guy however I have never liked his schemes or his defenses. They weren't good under two stints. I hated the nickel all the time with an undersized defensive line (maybe not his fault) matched up with an undersized nickel. We didn't ever have 7 runstoppers in the box. I think it hurt the pass defense some that struggled to stop the run. His blitz packages were predictable and unsuccessful. Ironically his 17 defense may have been one of his better but couldn't knock down a pass ie UM and VT game or they might have been more respected. I still would prefer a new coach. Hopefully one that is less predictable and geared to stop the run.