Redshirt report coming

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
My point stands regardless.
Not sure how, because Paul is a good coach and I tend to believe he knows more about football than just the flexbone. Our passing game would most likely improve so it's not just to "look prettier", and if it does in fact help recruiting get even 10-15% better I find it hard to believe that we'd do much worse than 7 wins a season.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I love Laskey but he just does not have that breakaway speed like Dwyer did. Laskey is very dependable for tough chunks of yards but not home runs.

in a review of the long Laskey run in uM game, 84-Summers had a chance block the tackler but QUIT running to him and didn't even get in way! THAT may be one of reasons we are not breaking long runs

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
in a review of the long Laskey run in uM game, 84-Summers had a chance block the tackler but QUIT running to him and didn't even get in way! THAT may be one of reasons we are not breaking long runs

I know you, or someone, has mentioned this play before, but fwiw, Summers has been a very good blocker for us. There's a reason why he's been starting most, if not all, games opposite Smelter.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In terms of recruiting to our offense vs other offenses, here is my opinion: With all other factors considered equal (big statement), any offense will be able to recruit players that fit that offense. End of story. Case in point, Justin Thomas. I think we all agree that JT is a pretty phenomenal athlete who could succeed anywhere, even at other positions. He came here because he fits the offense. Second case in point, CJ Leggett. I spoke to him in person at fan day. There is zero doubt in my mind that he WANTS to be a BB in OUR offense. That kid can play. Third case in point, MLD, have you looked at his film? Nuff said. We are all making wayyyy to much out of this. FWIW I wouldn't take Gurley to play BB in this offense, seriously. He is great with the deep handoff, but I seriously doubt he upgrades in our situation. Most likely he would be an AB.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
In terms of recruiting to our offense vs other offenses, here is my opinion: With all other factors considered equal (big statement), any offense will be able to recruit players that fit that offense. End of story. Case in point, Justin Thomas. I think we all agree that JT is a pretty phenomenal athlete who could succeed anywhere, even at other positions. He came here because he fits the offense. Second case in point, CJ Leggett. I spoke to him in person at fan day. There is zero doubt in my mind that he WANTS to be a BB in OUR offense. That kid can play. Third case in point, MLD, have you looked at his film? Nuff said. We are all making wayyyy to much out of this. FWIW I wouldn't take Gurley to play BB in this offense, seriously. He is great with the deep handoff, but I seriously doubt he upgrades in our situation. Most likely he would be an AB.

I agree somewhat, but good players are probably going to be good anywhere. I think Justin could play quarterback successfully in many systems if he was given a chance, just like demaryius and Jonathan would have probably been good in any college system. We had guys that weren't recruited for our system the first two years Paul was here but they were just good players and it worked better than it has since because we haven't recruited to that level. It has gotten better but we haven't seen those guys play yet so we don't know what could be in the future. Recruiting a bunch of 4 and 5 stars (yes, unrealistic) wouldn't hurt our offense, in fact we would probably be much better than we are now weather they are "fit" for us or not. I have to think although Gurley may not accelerate through the hole any faster than Zack he would make cuts, run over a linebacker and take a lot of carries to the house because he is that good. Faster and stronger players are faster and stronger no matter what system you are running.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree somewhat, but good players are probably going to be good anywhere. I think Justin could play quarterback successfully in many systems if he was given a chance, just like demaryius and Jonathan would have probably been good in any college system. We had guys that weren't recruited for our system the first two years Paul was here but they were just good players and it worked better than it has since because we haven't recruited to that level. It has gotten better but we haven't seen those guys play yet so we don't know what could be in the future. Recruiting a bunch of 4 and 5 stars (yes, unrealistic) wouldn't hurt our offense, in fact we would probably be much better than we are now weather they are "fit" for us or not. I have to think although Gurley may not accelerate through the hole any faster than Zack he would make cuts, run over a linebacker and take a lot of carries to the house because he is that good. Faster and stronger players are faster and stronger no matter what system you are running.

This is a good point, but I think it overstates the problem with recruiting a bit.

According to footballoutsiders F/+, our 2009 offense was our best offense with an Off F/+ of +14.4%. Our 2011 offense wasn't that far behind though with an Off F/+ of +12.0% . Currently, our 2014 Off F/+ is +18.8%.

The other years (2008, +6.6%; 2010, +2.0%; 2012, +8.6%; 2013, +8.3%) show that we were better than 2008 in every year but 2010.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This is a good point, but I think it overstates the problem with recruiting a bit.

According to footballoutsiders F/+, our 2009 offense was our best offense with an Off F/+ of +14.4%. Our 2011 offense wasn't that far behind though with an Off F/+ of +12.0% . Currently, our 2014 Off F/+ is +18.8%.

The other years (2008, +6.6%; 2010, +2.0%; 2012, +8.6%; 2013, +8.3%) show that we were better than 2008 in every year but 2010.

True, our defense those years was better than it has been since. Definitely in 2008.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of what view is more accurate, my belief is that a run dominated offense and the B-back position specifically would be desired by many high school running backs. (personally, I think the running back position in the NFL is not nearly the spotlight position it once was) Additionally playing in that same offense for the next couple of years with a quarterback like JT would get many excited.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This thread really went places. I was actually amused by it. 5-1 and finally, FINALLY, beat VT and UM and in the same season to boot; and we get 6 year old offseason ax grinding about "this offense" and "not getting Dwyer recruits."

On Leggett how he will perform after completing the rest of the teams practices this year plus all of next springs practices, plus practicing the mesh over the summer, and all of next preseason camps practices . . . will have far more to do with determining how ready he is to go in games next year than getting 8 snaps a game this year in 6 or so games. I think the value of only a few real game snaps at the bback position is being greatly exaggerated at this point in the season.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Did ramblincharger watch last years games? We tried it. We sucked at it. Move on. Maybe next year, if we master the basic concepts of our base, then we can add in some wrinkles. But, I prefer us to be good at AT LEAST one thing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wow....funny how a thread about a redshirt report turns into a five-page discourse on offense with the mention of just one player. Since my boy is going to be on the redshirt report I was looking forward to reading that thread.

Yeah, I'm glad ol' Eric chimed in to let us know the report will be in a separate thread. I gave up on this thread after page 1.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow....funny how a thread about a redshirt report turns into a five-page discourse on offense with the mention of just one player. Since my boy is going to be on the redshirt report I was looking forward to reading that thread.

I hope your boy comes in ready to knock the snot out of people. We need a real headhunter. Tell him to watch plays of KaMichael Hall from the 2005-2007 Tech teams!