Redshirt report coming

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
But we did with dwyer. Or are you saying doing that in this offense makes it even a taller task?

Both.

A prospect like Dwyer and us landing them is a rare thing. No matter what the offense we run, but I do think it makes it tougher with our current offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have a true star capable qb that is a soph. We need to find other true star capable people around him. 1^1=1, 2^2=4, 3^ ..... You get my drift. We need multiple stars - we only get a talent like JT so often. Stars attract stars. I say give leggett a chance

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think anyone is dissing Laskey. Most of us appreciate what he brings to the table. Almost sure fire positive yards every play. That is greatly beneficial in our offense. We are missing on the big explosion plays this year though....from pretty much every skill position on the team.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Many of you have had questions about the redshirt freshmen, I will do a report by the end of this week.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Back on topic....sort of....would it also be possible to advise how some others on scout team etc. are doing? Flea's older son at DE for example? Also JHD n Whitehead (and on that note...can you confirm this thought....I believe both can play in any bowl we go to this year if grades are good...will be a new semester )

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Both.

A prospect like Dwyer and us landing them is a rare thing. No matter what the offense we run, but I do think it makes it tougher with our current offense.

CPJ recruited Dwyer while CPJ was at Navy. When CPJ took the Tech job, Dwyer was, I heard, pretty excited about it. Would he have come to Tech if CPJ were at Tech instead of Gailey? Anybody's guess but I think the answer is closer to yes than to no.

And on the subject of Laskey, let's not be too quick to look past him to the redshirt corp. Two things Laskey does that are easy to take for granted: he never loses yardage and he almost never fumbles.

I'm fine if we burn a shirt or two but talent isn't always a substitute for a guy that understands his job and performs it very well and very consistently.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@00Burdell

If by recruited by CPJ at Navy you mean sent a offer then yes but of course he never considered them...

Disagree...Dwyer wasn't/isn't a fan of the offense. A lot closer to no than yes IMO.

For me, I haven't knocked Laskey. He's a good B Back...not great but he's very good. I want Leggett to play and be second string...for his explosiveness and to get playing time...also leave Days at A Back.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
@00Burdell

Disagree...Dwyer wasn't/isn't a fan of the offense. A lot closer to no than yes IMO.
Yeah, Dwyer has told several people (me included) that he wouldn't have come to Tech to play in this offense.

FWIW, I think much of the negative recruiting of the running back could be fixed by simply lining the RB up 1 yard deeper and letting him stand up. Dwyer's words were STTE of "glorified f***ing fullback", IIRC. It might not do away with all of the negative perception of the B-back but it would help.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Dabuzz, I see what your saying but, the offence is designed around a lot of smoke and mirrors - miss direction and quick hits! Hard to do that if you push the b farther back

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Dwyer has told several people (me included) that he wouldn't have come to Tech to play in this offense.

FWIW, I think much of the negative recruiting of the running back could be fixed by simply lining the RB up 1 yard deeper and letting him stand up. Dwyer's words were STTE of "glorified f***ing fullback", IIRC. It might not do away with all of the negative perception of the B-back but it would help.
The negative perception of this offense as a whole could be corrected with backing the qb and ABs up 2-3 yards into the diamond. Almost every play could be run almost the same way (maybe not the midline or other qb runs) but the perception would be so much better. I'm sure blocking assignments would have to be changed and it might take Paul a year or 2 of studying and tweaking but man it could change this program completely without changing the type of recruits that we go after or without changing the staff. The flexbone is the main issue when it comes to perception. I think that, and Russell really bring our recruiting from what could be top 25-35 every year to 45-55.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree with some of this, but fatty cakes woman hitter Dwyer ought to be grateful. In what other offense does he average !7! yards a carry his sophomore season? He'd have gotten AT BEST 5.5 yards a carry in a pro style. And 3.5 after his donut binge junior year.

On another note, every position requires team focus and self sacrifice in the 3-O, and if you don't want to block for someone else's yards... Well, I wish pro style offenses required such teamwork.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The negative perception of this offense as a whole could be corrected with backing the qb and ABs up 2-3 yards into the diamond. Almost every play could be run almost the same way (maybe not the midline or other qb runs) but the perception would be so much better. I'm sure blocking assignments would have to be changed and it might take Paul a year or 2 of studying and tweaking but man it could change this program completely without changing the type of recruits that we go after or without changing the staff. The flexbone is the main issue when it comes to perception. I think that, and Russell really bring our recruiting from what could be top 25-35 every year to 45-55.

There's no data to support this. We were not top 25-35 every year before CPJ.

herb

Helluva Engineer
IMO, especially with running backs, if you think they are going to be really good, then you play them right away. Even if they aren't maybe fully ready at the start of the season. The really good ones are going pro after their third year, whether a rs-soph or junior.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Why burn the shirt if ZL and SD and doing fine? Doubt that the coaching staff wouldn't already have him playing F they thought he'd do better than either of them at BBack.

We need someone to get some experience for next year, and the offense could use a change of pace back to stick in there on occasion

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I like the idea of separating MLD and Leggett by class, if Leggett's going to stay at BB. That's assuming, of course, that MLD isn't going to himself redshirt next year.

Since we'll have no one on scholarship at the position other than MLD and CJ next year, I can't imagine that we'd be able to enjoy that luxury. Barring another BB signee in this class, the only way we could make that happen is if we moved at least one guy over from another position.

The only guy that I can think of would be Snoddy. And since we'll only have Snoddy and Andrews with any experience at AB, I don't see that happening.

So we're in a weird spot. I think getting Leggett some experience now pays off.