Redshirt report coming

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm all for seeing CJ get in if he is good enough to get more carries than Days was getting. Burning the shirt for 5-6 plays a game doesn't seem justified to me.

What if he takes it to the house on a few of those 5-6 plays each game? Is it worth it then?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Leggett would get whatever number of snaps he earns with his chance. That is how it works. He won't start his first game. I feel sure of that. However, in the first series he does get, if he trucks a guy on the dive and turns 3 into 8 and follows it up on the next carry with an explosion play to the house, I guarantee you he will be right back out there the next series. If he doesn't he probably won't.
That's what I meant by:

"If he's successful, he'll earn more snaps."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You'd think people would have the ability to understand the difference between "could" and "would" and "should"... Guess not.

There's no need to make a sarcastic personal attack. Let me make my point clearer. The data does not support the suggestion that our current scheme results in significantly lower ranked classes.

The meaning of "could" does not change the fact that the data does not support your premise.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
There's no need to make a sarcastic personal attack. Let me make my point clearer. The data does not support the suggestion that our current scheme results in significantly lower ranked classes.

The meaning of "could" does not change the fact that the data does not support your premise.

Wasn't personal, just sarcastic. My point was that the general perception is that we run a "high school" or "old school" offense even though auburn, Nevada, Oregon etc. run very similar offenses just at a faster pace that is more spread out. I'll change my wording to "in my opinion" if we simply backed the QB, ABs, and BB up 2-3 yards into the diamond, the perception would change and therefore help recruiting. PJ has improved recruiting the past 2 years and I think it would make a difference. Top 25-35 is realistic in my opinion. Also Russell hurts recruiting and that is just fact, no data needed. Talk to players or college kids and you'll find your answer. Data wouldn't be possibly because the only teams that wear Russell still are in awful conferences and can't recruit well. Our "high school offense" (perception, because I love our offense) doesn't need to be played wearing high school uniforms.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I don't care if Leggett plays or not this year. I just want ball security. If we don't turn the ball over we are very difficult to stop.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You probably understand the X's and O's part better than I do, can you shed some light on that for me, because I feel like it would keep safety's deeper and open up our offense even more.
We lose the quick hitting nature of our offense and everything else is predicated off of that. Ever notice how we almost always seem to gain yards on the dive even when we miss blocks? It's because of our wide splits and quick hitting dive. When we actually make clean and sustained blocks we get huge chunks of yards assuming our reads are correct.

Btw, Laskey's most valuable skill is his speed to and through the mesh and gap. He's only lost yards 3 times in over 300 carries. You'd be hard pressed to find another back in the country with that stat. A lot of that is him, a lot of it is the design of our O.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't personal, just sarcastic. My point was that the general perception is that we run a "high school" or "old school" offense even though auburn, Nevada, Oregon etc. run very similar offenses just at a faster pace that is more spread out. I'll change my wording to "in my opinion" if we simply backed the QB, ABs, and BB up 2-3 yards into the diamond, the perception would change and therefore help recruiting. PJ has improved recruiting the past 2 years and I think it would make a difference. Top 25-35 is realistic in my opinion. Also Russell hurts recruiting and that is just fact, no data needed. Talk to players or college kids and you'll find your answer. Data wouldn't be possibly because the only teams that wear Russell still are in awful conferences and can't recruit well. Our "high school offense" (perception, because I love our offense) doesn't need to be played wearing high school uniforms.

I understood your point. However, sometimes a "what makes sense to me" opinion can be tested with data. In this case, the data does not support the opinion that we get less talent because of the offense.

And yes when you reply to someone suggesting that they don't understand basic words, it's a personal attack. I don't have any problem with it, but you are that guy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I understood your point. However, sometimes a "what makes sense to me" opinion can be tested with data. In this case, the data does not support the opinion that we get less talent because of the offense.

And yes when you reply to someone suggesting that they don't understand basic words, it's a personal attack. I don't have any problem with it, but you are that guy.
size0-army.mil-92792-2010-11-23-081125.jpg

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We lose the quick hitting nature of our offense and everything else is predicated off of that. Ever notice how we almost always seem to gain yards on the dive even when we miss blocks? It's because of our wide splits and quick hitting dive. When we actually make clean and sustained blocks we get huge chunks of yards assuming our reads are correct.

Btw, Laskey's most valuable skill is his speed to and through the mesh and gap. He's only lost yards 3 times in over 300 carries. You'd be hard pressed to find another back in the country with that stat. A lot of that is him, a lot of it is the design of our O.

We would definitely lose the dive and its ability to quickly gain 2-3 yards, but there would be some very good power running plays in the diamond that we cannot create as easily in our current formation. I think a RB standing up behind the QB would make it easier to recruit a BB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We would definitely lose the dive and its ability to quickly gain 2-3 yards, but there would be some very good power running plays in the diamond that we cannot create as easily in our current formation. I think a RB standing up behind the QB would make it easier to recruit a BB.
My point is you are fundamentally changing our offense. It's not a little tweak.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

That seems like a personal attack when you call me "that guy", but I digress. I apologize for the snide remark, I didn't intend for it to come across as rude as it did.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I
My point is you are fundamentally changing our offense. It's not a little tweak.
I agree, which is why I think it would take a year or two for Paul to figure out completely and implement properly, but I don't think it would be nearly as big of a change as going to say a west coast offense or something along those lines. I hear what you are saying though, I just think in the long run it would be really beneficial for our program.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Leggett had a hamstring injury when the season started, right? I assume he's been cleared to play and this is why we are having the burn the redshirt discussion.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Leggett had a hamstring injury when the season started, right? I assume he's been cleared to play and this is why we are having the burn the redshirt discussion.
He's been practicing fully for a while now. Coach is unsure if he's up to speed enough with the playbook to be able to play. We'll find out Sat.