Quick Lane Bowl Postgame Discussion

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
It seemed to me and the crew I watched with was that the game obviously was VERY important to Fleck. He needed this win for momentum and they put a ton of gameplanning in for the game.

Maybe it's not a good test but here in Minneapolis THIS game was the proof that getting The Axe back was not a fluke for Coach Fleck.

Actually that's a compliment to Tech...no matter how disappointing the performance on the field for you guys.

Bowl games are even more fickle than regular games. Hard to gauge how each team will perform...and often the season stats are not upheld.

Just saying this is an astute comment. For what it's worth here's the motivational speech given before the Wisconsin game...not saying this one was the same level but this is where our Coach operates. Only watch this if you're still interested at this point in the mindset of the opponent...otherwise, time to move on...

Here's the link: https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...-of-all-time-during-minnesota-wisconsin-game/

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This was not how I expected the CPJ era to end. Really sad.

I really think it may have been a neat and tidy ending. A 500 yard rushing offensive clinic would have people waxing nostalgic about CPJ and his system going forward. I think it allows the entire fanbase to close the book on a unique chapter in GT FB history without sappy nostalgia and regret. It was an interesting ride but it's time to let it go and move forward.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
The next tap dance to watch during this transition will be to see how CGC handles the assumption of all the roles/duties/responsibilities of being the GT HC who has to do the following:
1. Double check his coaching staff hires especially OC and DC.
2. Really tricky task of being respectful to CPJ and the 3O yet while publicly drawing a clear line in the sand of that's not who GT is now nor the kind of results GT will embrace in the future.
3. Pick the players up who are frustrated/dazed/sore/confused with what the "next step" for them as individuals or as a team is.
4. Study film with his new staff to decide "Who's on first?"
5. Continue to expand the positives of the GT program,build/strengthen the brand, and execute a PR plan that aligns with the persona of GT fans who are "cautious of him" and hope the recruiting results and play on the field becomes what draws them to support the GT FB Program once his "new car smell" has worn off.
6. What is his game plan to get ready for Clemson?

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, one of the worst games I’ve ever seen. Uga 2012 and 2018, MTSU 2012, Air Force 2010, and this one are top of mind. Sorry PJ didn’t win his final game. But it looked like a staff / team who mailed it in. I can’t say I blame them - how motivated would you be if you were fired? But the lack of pride was f***ing bad. I honestly just want to move on.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how Temple Owls perform while in the midst of transition away from Collins and "supposedly" so many of his former coaching staff also leaving to join GT. Will his players and former team face a similar fate or are they joined together at the hips and overcome it and win for the Temple Owl fans. On the other hand if they win does it say more about the coaches left behind to finish the job or more about the man who built the staff strong enough to weather the storm of adversity?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Speechless. These bowl games used to mean so much. Admittedly now they have been relegated to some meaningless air time to support a few car commercials for ESPN. Still you would hope that those representing our great school would care enough to play with some semblance of give a damn. Oh well, another funky QLB Trophy that will not be in our shiny trophy case down on Edgewood. Maybe we will at least get a little QLB Participation plaque or something we can hang on a wall somewhere.

PJ did not get the Hollywood ending everyone (at least most every non butthole Tech fan) would have loved to have seen, but on the whole he went out on his shield. Having lost the battle, but lying down to bleed awhile hopefully to rise up and fight some more, some other day, but this time not at Tech. He rode out, laying across the saddle, on the horse he rode in on, the olde triple option. It was his greatest asset and his greatest liability.

You will be long remembered but your seasons have come and now gone.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Minnesota was PHYSICAL. They punched us in the mouth and we didn't do anything about it. It seemed like every time we tackled them, or they tackled us, our guys either were hurt, or were slow to get up. We couldn't touch them without something bad happening to us.

You guys thought Minnesota was just going to play the patsy and let GT win because it was CPJ's last game?! No, they probably took it personally that all the attention went to CPJ and GT sending him out a winner.

Sucks that our seniors and CPJ couldn't go out winners, but the team on the other side is also a P5 team. As we've shown all year, if we don't show up and play to the level we can, we'll get embarrassed.

No sense in breaking down this game other than to say it's over. Time to move forward into a new era.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Non-CFP Bowls, in reality, are meaningless. The idea that you transfer "momentum" into the next season is a stretch, IMO. The real advantage i te extra practice time for the guys coming back next year. With us changing both our O and D schemes, even the extra practices aren't really going to benefit us like they usually would. So, as far as today's game goes, it's over, I've flushed it, and I will look forward with hope for the CGC era on The Flats.

I will miss CPJ, and surprisingly, considering my opposition to his hiring in 2008, I will miss the option. But I will look forward to the new O under CGC.

I will not miss CNW. I wasn't excited about his hiring, and nothing we did this season convinced me we were improving on D. I hope he has better luck at Army. I hope like @#$% CGC can get our D back in order.

Looking forward to the announcement Friday of the remainder of the CGC staff. (I'm assuming after the Temple bowl game he'll announce he is bringing the bulk of his former staff with him)

It was a bad game. We've had worse. We will survive.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed to me and the crew I watched with was that the game obviously was VERY important to Fleck. He needed this win for momentum and they put a ton of gameplanning in for the game.

It doesn't seem to me like we cared to even be there. The tricky thing is though: did we look like we didn't care because we were getting drilled or were we getting drilled because we didn't care? We'll never know, and I hate using that excuse when a team loses a bowl game because it doesn't credit the other team. Kudos to Fleck, he put a ton of emphasis on this meaningless game and made his players believe it was meaningful. I like that in a pilot. That sounds like I'm being a smartass but I'm not, he should get major kudos for how they were ready for this game that's not even important in the cfb world. That's hard to do as a coach.

Paul didn't have to prove anything to me tonight to cement his legacy, he's an offensive legend in the cfb world. The Paul lovers will say this game doesn't mean anything and the Paul haters will say this is just a microcosm of what you get with Paul. Rinse and repeat. Sucks that we sent him out like this, but this isn't his last game coaching you can bank on that.
Very good post Milwaukee, I agree on everything. I would say we didn't care because we were getting drilled. I think we started off on equal footing. A part of me feels that we were expecting to roll over these guys, and win pretty easy. Once we got punched in the mouth, we went "screw it", and it went downhill.