Quick Lane Bowl Postgame Discussion

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
After 11yrs of PJ, you're just now realizing this?

That’s unfair, I honestly don’t remember Tech looking bigger than any major team we have ever played and only on occasion could you say we were faster. That’s not a CPJ issue.

Our winning seasons have been via heart and soul not brute strength and speed

Deleted member 2897

This was just a weird last month. We are completely changing both offensive and defensive schemes. There will likely be quite a few people who no longer fit here. Maybe they transfer, maybe they don't. But imagine the distractions - should you transfer? Should you ask to change positions? Should you just quit? Will this be a chance for you to finally excel? And all the gossip among the players... And we fired the entire coaching staff. I'm sure they spent a decent amount of time trying to find their next job. At best, it was a huge distraction and again, imagine what percentage of time was spent on that distraction.

In hindsight, it would be nice if we showed up ready to play, but I can't say its actually that surprising now that I think about it. We acted like a team and a coaching staff who didn't practice much lately, who ate too much Christmas food over the holidays, and who were really uninspired to really show up and do much.

It was also probably a top 5 worst-coached game I've ever seen from CPJ. And I say that as a huge fan of his. It was downright stubborn not to put Oliver in the game...well until it didn't matter. TaQuon missed some reads, Oliver's bread and butter plays were there, and TaQuon even looked banged up at times. In the least when things aren't working, you should change directions. Sad.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Im just saying that trashing our players and saying they have no self respect or dignity because they may not be completely motivated for a terrible bowl game after all of their coaches either retired or got fired is a bit of a stretch.

Understood. Most of us would think though that since there was -NO BOWL- last year that no GT man would un-diginify what had been received this year—terrible is getting no bowl. Not saying players ditched this either. Again, tonight was just as likely the shortcoming of the coaching staff rather than the personnel. Still, if I were coming back next year in my first meeting with CGC I’d be embarrassed and ashamed. If not also worried about my position next year given today’s performance. Again, for most involved there was a lot riding on an otherwise “terrible” bowl game, imo.

Milwaukee

Banned
It seemed to me and the crew I watched with was that the game obviously was VERY important to Fleck. He needed this win for momentum and they put a ton of gameplanning in for the game.

It doesn't seem to me like we cared to even be there. The tricky thing is though: did we look like we didn't care because we were getting drilled or were we getting drilled because we didn't care? We'll never know, and I hate using that excuse when a team loses a bowl game because it doesn't credit the other team. Kudos to Fleck, he put a ton of emphasis on this meaningless game and made his players believe it was meaningful. I like that in a pilot. That sounds like I'm being a smartass but I'm not, he should get major kudos for how they were ready for this game that's not even important in the cfb world. That's hard to do as a coach.

Paul didn't have to prove anything to me tonight to cement his legacy, he's an offensive legend in the cfb world. The Paul lovers will say this game doesn't mean anything and the Paul haters will say this is just a microcosm of what you get with Paul. Rinse and repeat. Sucks that we sent him out like this, but this isn't his last game coaching you can bank on that.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Worried about Parker Braun, looked pissed off.
Are you talking about when Oliver fumbled near the goal line and he just ran back toward the bench? That gave me the impression something wasn't right. However, I don't think he played well tonight. Looked like he got beat on one play that cost us. Hopefully a new offensive line coach can teach him pass blocking. He has a chance to make it to the NFL. But after tonight I realized all of our linemen are replaceable.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Interesting closing comments to the media made by CPJ. He basically stated that the local media played a big role in characterizing him in a way of being old, stubborn, grouchy, and having a general "dislike" of them. Trying to run him out of his job. He told them in a PG-13 kind of way that he didn't appreciate their comments, the way they covered him, nor the "public image" they helped shape about himself or his offense or team really in general terms. I also imagine that these sentiments have festerd worse during the transition out as CGC has been fawned over by the media and has been LIGHTS OUT everywhere being seeen/heard as the "new era" of GT football while CPJ and the staff continued to log hours on the field and answer unknown numbers of questions related to life, football, and life post football.
CPJ basically gave the local press the middle finger in a professional yet honest way by stating I did and gave you every interview you ever asked of me yet you painted a harmful stigma about GT to our audience and I hate you for it. I can't believe he said that he was going to watch film on the game. Where? And with whom? His OL coaching buddy? Why? I bet he isn't going to stay retired long and will be entertaining offers next year.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It seemed to me and the crew I watched with was the game obviously was VERY important to Fleck. He needed this win for momentum and they put a ton of gameplanning in for the game.

It doesn't seem to me like we cared to even be there. The tricky thing is though: did we look like we didn't care because we were getting drilled or were we getting drilled because we didn't care? We'll never know, and I hate using that excuse when a team loses a bowl game because it doesn't credit the other team. Kudos to Fleck, he put a ton of emphasis on this meaningless game and made his players believe it was meaningful. I like that in a pilot. That sounds like I'm being a smartass but I'm not, he should get major kudos for how they were ready for this game that's not even important in the cfb world.

Paul didn't have to prove anything to me tonight to cement his legacy, he's an offensive legend in the cfb world. The Paul lovers will say this game doesn't mean anything and the Paul haters will say this is just a microcosm of what you get with Paul. Rinse and repeat. Sucks that we sent him out like this, but this isn't his last game coaching you can bank on that.

I’ve enjoyed CPJ over the years. Is just crappy that last few seasons (outside 2014) felt like legacy==old. I hope that isn’t the story. I’m sure CPJ could go back to GSU, but that’s sort of like....well..it ain’t a legacy. Just a sad thing really.

Deleted member 2897

Interesting closing comments to the media made by CPJ. He basically stated that the local media played a big role in characterizing him in a way of being old, stubborn, grouchy, and having a general "dislike" of them. Trying to run him out of his job. He told them in a PG-13 kind of way that he didn't appreciate their comments, the way they covered him, nor the "public image" they helped shape about himself or his offense or team really in general terms. I also imagine that these sentiments have festerd worse during the transition out as CGC has been fawned over by the media and has been LIGHTS OUT everywhere being seeen/heard as the "new era" of GT football while CPJ and the staff continued to log hours on the field and answer unknown numbers of questions related to life, football, and life post football.
CPJ basically gave the local press the middle finger in a professional yet honest way by stating I did and gave you every interview you ever asked of me yet you painted a harmful stigma about GT to our audience and I hate you for it. I can't believe he said that he was going to watch film on the game. Where? And with whom? His OL coaching buddy? Why? I bet he isn't going to stay retired long and will be entertaining offers next year.

I took the same read - that he’s not done coaching. He just wants out of Atlanta and a little time off.