Quick Lane Bowl Postgame Discussion

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I've enjoyed the ride but was ready to get off in 2015. 2016 was nice but losing Mills and Marshall hurt. I know his record might be up there among the greats but other than 2014 and 2016 (which was a Uga loss away from being mediocre) those were really the only years CPJ was successful with his offense and his players.

It was definitely time for a change.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
For a team that fought back this year from 1 and 3 to become bowl eligible, it's hard to reconcile this performance. As many have already stated, why he left Oliver on the bench after the first 2 and outs is mystery to me as it has been all season long.

I love the triple option offense and CPJ, but his stubbornness to make patently obvious changes at QB throughout his coaching stint at GT has now come to an inauspicious end.

We had hoped for a much better result. But as CPJ has said on numerous occasions: "It is what it is!"

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Tough to watch tonight. It really isn’t unfair to say that there was a lack of pride on display in many facets...I think we can all agree Minnesota isn’t 24 points better than we are. Thanks to PJ for some memories but we have to turn the page on this chapter. Best of luck to CGC

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Man this is a very sad ending. CPJ deserved to go out better. The kids have been talking about how much this game means and how much of an effort they put in b/c this is it... I could still take a loss if the game was like the UVA game.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Couple of things wrapping up the season and an era:

I always appreciate every player who puts in the grind academically and athletically playing for GT. It takes a lot of effort to be successful at both. So I say this not trying to diminish our players, but some of the guys in this senior class shouldn’t have been playing the minutes they got and I feel only got them due to PJs loyalty to some of the older players.

Not to beat the dead horse any more, TQM is a great kid and a great representative of the school, but PJ keeping him at QB and kept trying to make him something he is not, was one of the most frustrating and confusing things in the PJ era. I really feel like Paul got to the point he kept playing him just to spite all the people calling for a change.

Paul can cry about the media being against him all he wants. It’s his right to feel that way, and there’s some truth to some of the guys discounting his offense from the beginning, but he also dug his own grave a lot by sounding bitter anytime someone disagreed with him or questioned him at all and coming off like an *** many times. It doesn’t make you very likeable to a lot of people. He can say he doesn’t care about what those people thought, but obviously he did based off his final comments.

Paul’s ego took a hit at GT. He was humbled here. It’s hard to go from being highly successful at southern and navy and told how great you are and people always kissing your butt to having the feeling of being kicked out the door. Yes, I know, he retired on his own terms, but who can honestly say they didn’t think it was time for a change? Including Paul himself.

Animal02

Banned
Couple of things wrapping up the season and an era:

I always appreciate every player who puts in the grind academically and athletically playing for GT. It takes a lot of effort to be successful at both. So I say this not trying to diminish our players, but some of the guys in this senior class shouldn’t have been playing the minutes they got and I feel only got them due to PJs loyalty to some of the older players.

Not to beat the dead horse any more, TQM is a great kid and a great representative of the school, but PJ keeping him at QB and kept trying to make him something he is not, was one of the most frustrating and confusing things in the PJ era. I really feel like Paul got to the point he kept playing him just to spite all the people calling for a change.

Paul can cry about the media being against him all he wants. It’s his right to feel that way, and there’s some truth to some of the guys discounting his offense from the beginning, but he also dug his own grave a lot by sounding bitter anytime someone disagreed with him or questioned him at all and coming off like an *** many times. It doesn’t make you very likeable to a lot of people. He can say he doesn’t care about what those people thought, but obviously he did based off his final comments.

Paul’s ego took a hit at GT. He was humbled here. It’s hard to go from being highly successful at southern and navy and told how great you are and people always kissing your butt to having the feeling of being kicked out the door. Yes, I know, he retired on his own terms, but who can honestly say they didn’t think it was time for a change? Including Paul himself.
This loyalty BS is simply that.... BS. The coaches see them day in and day out and know them far better than we ever will.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I hope our guys, overall, just had a really bad night and will come back refocused and rededicated. That said, there were a lot of deficiencies on display.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Was impressed with the Gophers D. They improved tremendously after they canned their DC.

Was not impressed with our D. Minnesota had exactly ZERO punts.

And Percy had a game he and we wouldn't have even dreamed possible. Longest put was 23 yards!! 4 punt for a total of 75 yards... Yikes!!!
I could not watch the game but followed on game watcher...what happened with harvin?

slugboy

Staff member
It was a strange game.

Over the last 11 years, we’ve earned a reputation as a tough team that will grind it out and play physical. We earned a reputation as a disciplined and patient team that would keep doing the right thing until the other team screwed up or flinched.

We didn’t look like that in our last two games. We went downhill from our UGA game.

I can make guesses, such as “why practice this offense/defense since it’s gone next year?”.

It only takes one player out of eleven playing less than their best for plays to fall apart, and someone (or two) was getting beaten on most plays.

Happy new year, in many, many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That was the most ill prepared I have seen a Tech team at any time since the B** L**** years. I was very disappointed when CGC did not keep any coaches off this staff, well not any more. I know some of the players said they were disappointed not to be picked for a better bowl, you may want to watch the film of this game and you will see why you were picked to play in this game. I can understand Clemson and uga but this was Minnesota not a great team maybe not a good team. As a fan of CPJ thanks for what you did at Tech and thanks for having the team so ill prepared for this game it does help me know it was time for you to go.
Note to the AD if at any time a coach leaves it would be a good idea not to let them coach in a bowl game.
Time to move on and everyone get behind the new coaching staff.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a crappy way to go out, but I think they basically maximized how many wins this year's team could get.
The idea that GT should have won vs Duke and Pitt is laughable. GT never led in either of those games.
Fans tend to remember games they think they should have won but forget the games they could have lost.
GT was very fortunate to go 2-2 over its final 4 games. The offense basically stopped working the last 4 games of the season (after UNC). The most yards GT had in those 4 games was 305 against UVA (who had 403) and that was the only game it hit 30 points where with the D and ST teams scored 9 points. Against Miami GT had almost 1/4 of its offense on its 1st drive and scored 13 points off of Miami TO where GT's offense only produced 46 yds of offense.

GT could very easily have lost to Miami and UVA and UVA was probably spitting mad they lost.

The game against MN reminded me alot of the game against Pitt, except the D did a better job in the first half of keeping the score close, but then fell apart in the 2nd half. The offense never looked good as compared to some of the Pitt game. Unfortunately this year's offense tended to sputter anytime it faced a defense that provided a modicum of resistance. It had 3 good games against P5 opponents and they happened to be the 3 worst P5 defensive teams we played - L'ville, VT and UNC. Outside of those 3 games the offense basically failed to score more than 21 points. 9 points from D and ST against UVA and OT. 13 of 27 points against Miami due to Miami TO's deep in GT territory.

I also think it was somewhat poor form for him to go off on the press afterwards. I remember talking to guys on the Navy board when we hired him. They mentioned when he was winning you would love him as the arrogant truth teller and fighter. But when he was losing his personality wears on the fanbase and press because that same attitude comes off as smug and condescending. The press is always going to ding you at times, but if you want to have good relations with them it is something you have to work on.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
From the game, watching it and reading CPJs comments about it ...
  • The players weren’t excited about it and didn’t want to be there.
  • CPJ wasn’t excited about it and didn’t want to be there.
  • The sponsor wasn’t excited about it and didn’t want to be there.
But ... Minnesota was. And ...

It did sell a few more lube jobs. Maybe.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I could not watch the game but followed on game watcher...what happened with harvin?
Shanked punts, then had one bounce off the back of the helmet of the Georgia Tech player who was covering in the bulb went back to our 48 as opposed to being around there 39. On top of that we were then called for illegal touching, which meant it wasn't downed where the ball hit him, but we're it stopped.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The press is always going to ding you at times, but if you want to have good relations with them it is something you have to work on.

Never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel.

The PGA Tour does this well. No matter how crappy they played, “This is a wonderful course, and the fans are just great. I look forward to trying again next year.” It’s not hard.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For a team that fought back this year from 1 and 3 to become bowl eligible, it's hard to reconcile this performance. As many have already stated, why he left Oliver on the bench after the first 2 and outs is mystery to me as it has been all season long.

I love the triple option offense and CPJ, but his stubbornness to make patently obvious changes at QB throughout his coaching stint at GT has now come to an inauspicious end.

We had hoped for a much better result. But as CPJ has said on numerous occasions: "It is what it is!"
You are giving too much credit to TM for blaming him for the poor results on the first two possessions. when the defense is in the backfield not much is going to happen that's good for the offense.

Last edited:

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Took some time to decompress after last night.
Some may say that was a fitting way for CPJ to go as many believe the option just can't work anymore and seeing that our last great team was '14 and maybe '16 that might be true.
We sure didn't look like the same team that rebounded through the season, we looked like a team that was out of sync, hungover from uga and just plain didn't want to be there.
Worst of all this team got press cause they thought we deserved a better bowl, yet we didn't even look like we belonged in this bowl.
All phases of the game looked off. Just wish Oliver had come in early on

CPJ said in his presser they didn't do one on ones because he didn't want to risk injuries, but it sure looked like we needed it that or this team thought Minnesota was going to be a cupcake team. Minnesota sure looked like they practiced for the option.