QB battle

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know. You really only have maybe the next week to decide who you're taking to the dance.

I would think it's hard not to pull for JJ. But you're trying to guess there exactly how coachable he is and how much can develop in the time available. But it sure seems like the sky is the limit with him.

Taquon, seems like the light bulb is really turning on for him at QB. I would think for all of the QBs you want to really apply the heat this week and see how they respond to the pressure.

I think you have to try and balance how well the QBs are making the base reads and getting the team into the right play, but also who is making the best decisions when things are breaking down. When the everyone is blocking well and the other team's defense is on it's heels the game is easy. But which one handles things better when there are missed blocks?

I don't know what has happened with MJ, but I have a hard time putting my money with him after this spring and now the fall. For whatever reason he's a bit gun-shy, and now he's a little dinged up too.

I don't get all of the love LJ personally. It IS important when we throw the ball, but more important is the run game. If he's making good reads ahead of the others, OK, play him.

They don't pay me the big bucks, but I'd bench MJ and nurse him along, unless he's back to 100% tomorrow. I'd cycle TM, JJ, and LJ through with the 1's all this week and see how they sort themselves out. Hopefully they'll start to separate so you can pick one and focus on honing that one for the first game and the season.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Rewatching the spring game I think TM did a lot better in the game then he got credit for. He didn't have any explosive plays, but he made good reads, burst through seems for extra yards, and took care of the football. I've been a Jordan fan this off season, but I'm starting to like TM as the front runner more and more.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Whoever doesn't turn the ball over and has a good grasp of the offense. Like CPJ has said over and over. It's tough to win when you turn the ball over and give them a short field.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Rewatching the spring game I think TM did a lot better in the game then he got credit for. He didn't have any explosive plays, but he made good reads, burst through seems for extra yards, and took care of the football. I've been a Jordan fan this off season, but I'm starting to like TM as the front runner more and more.

I think TM has some explosion plays in the spring just from the few highlights above. He seems to run through tackles better than anyone, including MJ. Not by pure power, but that elusiveness that allows a player to slightly move a certain way that makes defenses not get a clean hit on him. It's just something natural. Marcus Marshall had it as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We have 4 qb's. There's 4 quarters in a game. Each QB plays a quarter. No defense can prep for that. This keeps all 4 qb's happy! Problem solved. Alcohol makes me a genius...

I don't know why wives have such a hard time understanding the truth of that last sentence ...

Now, the argument against multiple QBs is rhythm with the various other pieces. However, that problem can be easily solved. Each QB can have their own B-Back, we got 4 of them who can play. We could probably get 4 A-backs and 4 WR's too.

So, in practice, you run two lines with 2 QBs and 2 BBacks for each pair of A-Backs and WRs. 1 line will emphasize one set of plays, and the other set will emphasize another set of plays. The starting OL has to learn them all anyway, so that won't matter. Every week, you have two game plans.

In games, you use B-Backs or QBs to bring in the plays.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Jordan takes the snap, pitches to Taquon, who pitches to Johnson doing a reverse, who throws a 60 yard td bomb to JJ. undefendable in my mind

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our ol will need some rest at end 3rd and start 4th. That's a fact..
I could see a more mass sub with some change in scheme.
As def adjusts ee send starters in w new
wrinkle .

Oh it's the pre season - we never fail to get first down and route everyone.

On the off chance we need to adjust, a major adjust could be just the trick.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our ol will need some rest at end 3rd and start 4th. That's a fact..
I could see a more mass sub with some change in scheme.
As def adjusts ee send starters in w new
wrinkle .

Oh it's the pre season - we never fail to get first down and route everyone.

On the off chance we need to adjust, a major adjust could be just the trick.

You make a good point. If our D can actually make stops this year, we may need all our QBs

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't get all of the love LJ personally. It IS important when we throw the ball, but more important is the run game. If he's making good reads ahead of the others, OK, play him.

People tend to forget that LJ is a very effective runner within our system. I didn't see the scrimmage, but LJ had another nice run to go along with his 70+ yard TD during the spring. It seems LJ has been labeled the "passing QB" of the group, but his legs are a legitimate weapon. He also has the size to grind it out ala Nesbitt with midlines and QB follows. I don't think CPJ calls scrimmages like he would a game, and I don't think he'll call a scrimmage like he did with MJ against VT. CPJ is smart to save the "mileage" on his QBs for actual games that count, so we may not be seeing the entire picture. Personally, I think all 4 QBs competing for the job is capable of playing reals games where we'll need to grind out yards.

IMO, the best QB to ever play in this system is probably the first QB to play for CPJ when this system was first implemented. A guy by the name of Tracy Ham. He wasn't a blazer ala JeT or Jay Jones, he was more like Nesbitt in terms of speed and between the tackle running ability, but understood the offense inside out, and he was a VERY good passer:

The point is, CPJ is going to go with the guy who will make plays and that put us in the best position to win. I keep saying it, but there are 4 legitimate guys who can all be QB1, but in the end, the guy who wins is going to be VERY good for GT because of the competition demands it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Jordan takes the snap, pitches to Taquon, who pitches to Johnson doing a reverse, who throws a 60 yard td bomb to JJ. undefendable in my mind

I love it, bring in LJ at qb, TM and JJ at A-back, and MJ at B-back, i would love to see the opposing DC's face!

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm just glad people finally admit there is a competition. Personally pulling for LJ because I like the idea of passing more, but no real bias.