QB battle

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not an MJ hater and love the midline he brings us. However I am worried about his throwing ability. It reminds me of Tevin who I was not high on. Tevin played to the best of his ability and rarely made mistakes - except the one against UM in overtime when he didn't run the play called that was awful. He did some good things, like running the mid-line. But our record with him as QB was not very good. We have been much better teams when we had the threat of a better passing game with Josh and JT. I know the defensive teams that we played alongside matters in comparisons but nevertheless, when we had to have a late TD, there were too many failures. That is why I believe one of the young guys will get a real chance this Fall practice.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I am not an MJ hater and love the midline he brings us. However I am worried about his throwing ability. It reminds me of Tevin who I was not high on. Tevin played to the best of his ability and rarely made mistakes - except the one against UM in overtime when he didn't run the play called that was awful. He did some good things, like running the mid-line. But our record with him as QB was not very good. We have been much better teams when we had the threat of a better passing game with Josh and JT. I know the defensive teams that we played alongside matters in comparisons but nevertheless, when we had to have a late TD, there were too many failures. That is why I believe one of the young guys will get a real chance this Fall practice.
MJ is bigger faster and stronger than Tevin, and is not that bad of a passer. Check out his senior year highlights. Also our OL, AB, and BB talent is way better than it was with Tevin.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Our offense was much better in 2011 and 2012 than any year but 2009 and 2014, years where bbacks and wrs made nfl rosters.

If MJ duplicates TW, we'll be fine.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You are not the first poster to question MJ's throwing ability. However, I find myself wondering why. Is it the small sample size of the VT game last year? If so, I kind of understand it, but man, you need to look at his entire body of work to this point. This much is sure: MJ has a way stronger arm than TW ever did. By the end of his tenure, perhaps TW was the best we've had under PJ in terms of seeing the field and getting the ball to the right guy. The problem was though, that he didn't have enough arm strength to stretch the defense or zip it into tight spaces. Nor did he throw well on the run. MJ has plenty of arm strength and can throw if he can set this feet. In fact, at this point, I am less worried about his throwing than any of the other 3 guys competing. Any way we slice it, it is going to be tough replacing JT through the air. He had a quick release and threw very well on the roll out. He had enough arm strength to go deep and enough accuracy to make back shoulder throws etc. Perhaps chucking from the pocket and seeing the middle of the field was his only real weakness. Without a doubt, our flavor is going to change on offense, but I seriously doubt we are headed back to a "chuck it and pray" era in the passing game no matter who wins out.

SlawDog

Banned
Careful I was called a weenie for questioning another QBs abilities. And he's not even on the team

Last edited:

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

Check out the passing at 1:20. Yes it is just one pass, but it should lessen the concern about his arm. The problem he was having in the VT game was not setting his feet. I'm sure he has worked on that and again it was VT and they always have a great pass rush against us.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Oddly I agree about Tevin in throwing generally but what I also remember was him PASSING us to the lead up at VT--- and the def did a HORRIBLE fold-up to lose.

Milwaukee

Banned
MJ will be fine for us. He's been through the battles, he's physical, and he runs the O well. And then JJ will give us that homerun/elite athlete type stuff. We're in good shape fellas.

You also have to realize that MJ was limited last year as far as playcalling. CPJ even said so after one of the games. We were all moaning (myself included) about MJ keeping it on a ton of plays and not making the pitch, but PJ mentioned after the game that he instructed MJ to do that. He wanted him to keep it 90% of the time as long as we had a positive yard, even if the pitch was there. I don't think CPJ will have that leash on MJ this year; that should open things up a ton for MJ, personally, and the offense.

Last edited:

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Oddly I agree about Tevin in throwing generally but what I also remember was him PASSING us to the lead up at VT--- and the def did a HORRIBLE fold-up to lose.
You are right. He lead a nice passing drive that should have won that game if the D didn't blow it. They did and then in OT he threw an interception.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Your concerns are legit and as always poor Tevin is the measuring stick. Look, I complained about him all the time but the fact is that we are just about better across the board now but most especially in the offensive line than what he had in his day. Not to belittle the ability and contributions of Orwin, Robbie, and those guys but we have recruited better. Upon further review on the internet and given a chance to step back and objectively look at our teams then compared to now PJ got just about all that he could out of those teams. They played hard and represented our program in a class manner. You can't ask any more of a football player. It should be noted that our opponents, most particularly UNC, Duke, and Clemson have gotten measurably better as well. IMHO

GTFLETCH

Banned
There is NO QB Battle... MJ is the Starter.... Not sure why you think he is a poor passer?? He has only started one game (Beat VT in Blacksburg).... In practice he has shown he can throw the ball... He can make all the throws in our offense... He is going to be great the next two years!!!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Looking at his Senior Highlights he threw the ball just fine, I think because he runs the Midline so well.... Fans lump him with Tevin Washington...

Basically if you run the Midline well you must be a poor passer..

Two things... Tevin was recruited by Chan as a RB, CPJ asked him to stay and play QB... MJ was always recruited to play QB for us and always going to take over for JT...

Link

GTFLETCH

Banned
Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. TW was recruited by CPJ and came to GT after CCG was long gone.
You may be correct.. Chan Gailey was fired on 26 Nov 2007.... Paul Johnson took the Job 7 Dec 2007 and Tevin signed 1-21-2008... It would be interesting to find out if Tevin was considering GT before CPJ was hired.... Not sure But I will tell you this, this class is not considered a full recruiting cycle for CPJ.... I will take your word that before 7 Dec 2007, Tevin never got a piece of mail or heard from GT..

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You may be correct.. Chan Gailey was fired on 26 Nov 2007.... Paul Johnson took the Job 7 Dec 2007 and Tevin signed 1-21-2008... It would be interesting to find out if Tevin was considering GT before CPJ was hired.... Not sure But I will tell you this, this class is not considered a full recruiting cycle for CPJ.... I will take your word that before 7 Dec 2007, Tevin never got a piece of mail or heard from GT..

http://www.scout.com/college/georgia-tech/story/729701-georgia-tech-08-recruiting-review-qb?s=140

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nesbit was a terrible passer. like brutally bad. Tevin had no arm. that was a lot of his problems. Jordan has a good arm, but hasn't had the chance to throw a lot in game situations. look at his HS tape. he seems to throw just fine in that film
Do you think Nesbitt would've stayed at Qb if Gailey hadn't left? He threw for a ton of yards at Greene County.

GTFLETCH

Banned
THANK YOU.... It seems I had Tevin and Jaybo mixed up... Or maybe I just twisted things in my head...

Here is what I find interesting about the article..

Recruiting Analyst Scott Kennedy on Tevin Washington:
"A pass first quarterback with excellent mobility, Washington uses his elusiveness to scan downfield first, then to take off and run second. He has a quick release and is accurate on the short and intermediate routes. He has nice touch on the long ball, but struggles just a bit if he has to muscle up on a deep out. Deceptively fast, he's not a shake and bake type of runner, but possesses tremendous open field speed."

Do we have a Recruiting Analyst Scott Kennedy on Matt Jordan???

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you think Nesbitt would've stayed at Qb if Gailey hadn't left? He threw for a ton of yards at Greene County.

Maybe but the only thing gailey ran with him was wildcat stuff. Im sure he would have had more passing reps if gailey wasn't canned.

Also, Jordan threw a lot in high school but just about everyone thinks he's terrible.