QB battle

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I bet MJ bowes up at practice this week and the narrative on the board shifts directions again. And then again and again each time coach farts after practice.

Competition is good for all parties involved, including the clueless fans sitting at keyboards trying to decipher and decode every syllable like Indiana Jones holding an ancient tablet.

Seems like someone is taking the MJ criticism personal.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am finding the drama surrounding our QB position this year to be the most compelling story yet in the CPJ era. For me, it is truly exciting, perhaps partly because I have been a little more removed lately, combined with the knowledge that we have four guys (perhaps a fifth) who all appear to be making a strong case. Based on my limited observation, each of these four, should they win the position, would change the overall flavor of the offense and the types of games that will be called. There is something (or somebody) for every fan, depending on what style you like. Eventually, we will need to pick before the fine tuning of our offensive game plan and team chemistry can take shape. Can you imagine what it would be like to be coach right now? Holy cow. It's a nice problem to have, but a huge decision at the same time.

If you want us to raise the pass/run ratio some, spreading the field through the air, while losing a little wiggle at the QB position, then LJ is probably your horse.

If you covet the power run game between the tackles with a higher percentage of follows and midline (probably fewer counter options than with JT) while smashing mouth, then MJ is probably your guy.

If you liked the look of the offense in the JT era and would like the fewest stylistic changes (not to be confused with actual results), then that probably means TM.

If you want the ball in the hands of a wildly athletic player every snap who can improvise (whether running or scrambling) when needed and turn nothing into a huge play, while learning to capitalize on the talent around him and work within the scheme, then JJ is your guy.

CPJ is no dummy. He is going to call the games towards the strengths of the guy he picks. This will, in turn, modify slightly the roles of the supporting cast. Considering this, it makes sense that the decision is made around the time that preparation for UT begins so that game plans can be fully implemented and repped out. Hang on tight.

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
We have a wealth of talent returning at the Aback and we have a true stud in Mills. We have a salty online, particularly at GCG.

I'm not worried about who the best passer is, that's not how we've won many games. We don't need a scrabble around, change directions 4 times in a play guy either...we have guys around the qb who should be able to do their job well.

Give me the guy who can run the veer, who can handle the ball well, and who gets north-south decisively and with athletic suddenness (Taquan!).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know if Summer term is still in session and whether MJ has started his graduate program?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully it means that each guy is taking their opportunities and using them with deliberate intent to improve. The downside is lack of reps and chemistry with the team. But personally I find reps useless if you're just trying to replicate something you already know how to do. You need to use them to get better. This doesn't mean more complicated. It can be with intent to build nuance or consistency. Too often people rep something without getting better.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am not sure any QB "won" the job yesterday. However MJ may have lost it!! This is going to be very interesting...

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am finding the drama surrounding our QB position this year to be the most compelling story yet in the CPJ era. For me, it is truly exciting, perhaps partly because I have been a little more removed lately, combined with the knowledge that we have four guys (perhaps a fifth) who all appear to be making a strong case. Based on my limited observation, each of these four, should they win the position, would change the overall flavor of the offense and the types of games that will be called. There is something (or somebody) for every fan, depending on what style you like. Eventually, we will need to pick before the fine tuning of our offensive game plan and team chemistry can take shape. Can you imagine what it would be like to be coach right now? Holy cow. It's a nice problem to have, but a huge decision at the same time.

If you want us to raise the pass/run ratio some, spreading the field through the air, while losing a little wiggle at the QB position, then LJ is probably your horse.

If you covet the power run game between the tackles with a higher percentage of follows and midline (probably fewer counter options than with JT) while smashing mouth, then MJ is probably your guy.

If you liked the look of the offense in the JT era and would like the fewest stylistic changes (not to be confused with actual results), then that probably means TM.

If you want the ball in the hands of a wildly athletic player every snap who can improvise (whether running or scrambling) when needed and turn nothing into a huge play, while learning to capitalize on the talent around him and work within the scheme, then JJ is your guy.

CPJ is no dummy. He is going to call the games towards the strengths of the guy he picks. This will, in turn, modify slightly the roles of the supporting cast. Considering this, it makes sense that the decision is made around the time that preparation for UT begins so that game plans can be fully implemented and repped out. Hang on tight.

I'm having a hard time believing CPJ let's that much talent sit on the sideline all year. But I'm also having a hard time figuring out how and where he uses that talent given the depth at all the skill positions. If they sit this year, won't they also sit next year as our personnel losses this year will be an OT and a WR? Maybe the answer is what happened at VT last year. A different style qb went into the game, CPJ called a different game, and Offense produced against a tough Defense on the road. We're going to see three QB's with significant minutes this year, and not because of injuries.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
LJ's long run was a triple.... No pitches for any QB except the wild pitch by JJ.
How wild was it? From the pictures posted they show a picture of him pitching it and it's behind the runner just a little but he still caught the ball. Was that a different pitch?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wild might be a poor word choice... how about high risk?

He was being tackled and on his way down tried to get the ball pitched and it was behind the slot back.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This is not a likely scenario but an interesting one: T Marshall is the starting QB, Jordan is available for short yardage and 4 down zone, LJ is available for game situations like the Duke game a few seasons ago where the pass is required on almost every down, and JJ is for when you get behind two scores, nothing is working, and you need something totally different. MJ is death march, LJ is two minute drill, and JJ is hail Mary. Lots of tools! This would be tough on the OC but a nightmare for the opposing DC.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Wild might be a poor word choice... how about high risk?

He was being tackled and on his way down tried to get the ball pitched and it was behind the slot back.
Ok, I honestly wasn't sure because I wasn't there. JT was a master at making that pitch late while being hit. I don't mind it if you are able to lead the guy.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
CPJ will make the QB decision and I will know that is right and I will accept and support it. I have an opinion based on limited info compared to CPJ but based on my own experiences and observations. Our O team speed with the non MJ QBs seemed to really give our own D some troubles as they gave up several big plays in the scrimmage. On the other hand our D stuffed our O when MJ was in (I recognize there are other factors and when we execute everywhere our O may be fine with MJ). If we are executing well the choice of MJ is lower risk but the speed of T Marshall especially may be a better choice early in the season against Tn when our execution is not quite up to form. TM seems to be able to make plays inside or out and can sometimes turn lemons into juice.

JJ at quarterback, Jordan at B-back, Quon and LJ at the A-backs. Problem solved.