QB battle

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
anyone want to guess how long once the season starts before someone on here will say I told you we needed to start x ?
The first series that doesn't result in a TD. We could be up 50 points and I'm sure somebody will say QB x would have scored

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I haven't quite decided on who I would like to start. I really like what all four of them bring to the table. Would be really cool if we could play all four every game. I know that wouldn't allow them to get into a rhythm, but it would be really tough to gameplan for. CPJ see's that they are cheating up to stop the dive, send it TM to buts it on the outside. Safeties cheating up? Time for JJ or LJ. Death march time? MJ's turn.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I want whatever QB gives us the chance to win. I'm rooting for JJ to be that guy though, but if he's not I'll be content with whoever it is because that means they won the #1 spot. I trust CPJ will make the right choice. I like the fact that JJ has a big arm with the big play making ability when nothing is there. He also has great speed, but most of all a good burst/short area quickness. Imo he's the only QB that brings all of these things to the table. If he can get down the ball security and the reads we should have a very very good QB. I actually think he will have the chance to be as good if not better than JT, because he will have more of the playbook open to him with his size, he can run inside.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If it's a close race coming down to the end of the week, I bet it's Matt for game 1. He's played in a hostile environment and won which is huge. This game is gonna be slam full of hype and emotion. We don't need deer-in-the-headlights from our starting qb, no matter how talented. I'd expect to see another guy come in if Matt struggles early, however. We have multiple options, no pun intended, and that's a very good thing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I want whatever QB gives us the chance to win. I'm rooting for JJ to be that guy though, but if he's not I'll be content with whoever it is because that means they won the #1 spot. I trust CPJ will make the right choice. I like the fact that JJ has a big arm with the big play making ability when nothing is there. He also has great speed, but most of all a good burst/short area quickness. Imo he's the only QB that brings all of these things to the table. If he can get down the ball security and the reads we should have a very very good QB. I actually think he will have the chance to be as good if not better than JT, because he will have more of the playbook open to him with his size, he can run inside.
size? he's listed at 6'0", 188. The last qb to run inside a bunch was Tevin at 210. For reference, MJ is 208, Lucas is 210. I wouldn't expect much qb follow or midline with JJ or Taquan (5'10", 185). He does bring a lot of other skills to the table, but I imagine CPJ would call a game more like he did with JeT, only less passing. That kinda worries me because the threat of the pass opened up a lot on the ground with JeT.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If it's a close race coming down to the end of the week, I bet it's Matt for game 1. He's played in a hostile environment and won which is huge. This game is gonna be slam full of hype and emotion. We don't need deer-in-the-headlights from our starting qb, no matter how talented. I'd expect to see another guy come in if Matt struggles early, however. We have multiple options, no pun intended, and that's a very good thing.

I can foresee this, too, unless its TM that legit wins the job. I don't think you'll see a JJ or LJ start game 1, but I bet one of them will play.

Sometimes going round in circles about the QB spot gets old, but how exciting is this?!?! If you don't have a personal stake in this position battle, I hope you can sit back and enjoy the ride. I don't think this is one of those "if you've got 2 or 3 QBs, you really don't have one." Rather, I think we truly have 4 guys who could be the starting QB on a good team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
size? he's listed at 6'0", 188. The last qb to run inside a bunch was Tevin at 210. For reference, MJ is 208, Lucas is 210. I wouldn't expect much qb follow or midline with JJ. He does bring a lot of other skills to the table, but I imagine CPJ would call a game more like he did with JeT, only less passing. That kinda worries me because the threat of the pass opened up a lot on the ground with JeT.
He looks a little bigger to me, although I could be wrong. I don't always trust the sizes listen. Also TM was just running midlines in the scrimmage so idk why JJ wouldn't be able to. And I'm talking about it being just an every once in a while. He could call a JT type game with a little inside runnin game, not like he would call for MJ.

crut

Helluva Engineer

Since we're talking about 'em...
LtR: Matthew Jordan, Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, (Candeto), TaQuon Marshall, Chase Martenson, Jay Jones

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1) I've never understood rooting for someone to win a position battle. I get having someone you think will win, but rooting for them to win would seem like I'm rooting that I'd be right or rooting against other guys. I want the best guy regardless of it's my guy. However, that's just me; I don't judge.
2) I was with @dressedcheeseside that the most likely outcome being MJ starting against UT and one of the RS Fr as primary back-up. CPJ twice mentioned the possibility of moving TM to A-Back. However, the scrimmage reports make me wonder whether this will still be the case. It's hard to downplay the importance of MJ"s big game experience going into the dome. Asking one of the other guys to have their first start be against an SEC team in the new dome would be a big ask. One of the things that CPJ has always praised about MJ is his confidence, but if he's playing tentative now, who knows.
3) I personally like the idea of LJ in the mix and would be happy for him to do well (is this rooting for him?). However, it's not about what he can do that the others can't in terms of helping our team win but rather what it would mean for future recruiting to see more of a dual threat QB running our offense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1) I've never understood rooting for someone to win a position battle. I get having someone you think will win, but rooting for them to win would seem like I'm rooting that I'd be right or rooting against other guys. I want the best guy regardless of it's my guy. However, that's just me; I don't judge.
2) I was with @dressedcheeseside that the most likely outcome being MJ starting against UT and one of the RS Fr as primary back-up. CPJ twice mentioned the possibility of moving TM to A-Back. However, the scrimmage reports make me wonder whether this will still be the case. It's hard to downplay the importance of MJ"s big game experience going into the dome. Asking one of the other guys to have their first start be against an SEC team in the new dome would be a big ask. One of the things that CPJ has always praised about MJ is his confidence, but if he's playing tentative now, who knows.
3) I personally like the idea of LJ in the mix and would be happy for him to do well (is this rooting for him?). However, it's not about what he can do that the others can't in terms of helping our team win but rather what it would mean for future recruiting to see more of a dual threat QB running our offense.
I don't think it's rooting against others, it's just simply saying you like what the guy brings to the table with his skill set and that's what you personally would like to see. I root for JJ because I like his skill set, but I want the best QB on the field even if it's not him. I do agree I would like to see a guy with experience to start game 1.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Taquon doesn't go to A-back (and it seems unlikely at this point). Then i wouldn't be too suprised to see JJ move there for this season only just to not waste his explosiveness and get him touches and more game experience

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If Taquon doesn't go to A-back (and it seems unlikely at this point). Then i wouldn't be too suprised to see JJ move there for this season only just to not waste his explosiveness and get him touches and more game experience
I think CPJ sees something special in JJ as a QB and won't want to take away from his practice time there. JMO.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Having a guy with experience who has lead you to a big win plays a big role in CPJs decision. However, if he were to start and have trouble early I could see a quick change. Sometimes your heart says one thing and your head says another. Some guys as y'all know are just gamers. They can put the team on their shoulders. I certainly believe that Paul Johnson is the guy that I want making that decision.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Based solely on what I saw Saturday, TM showed he should be the starter. He was confident, poised, had command of the huddle and control of the O. As others have pointed out we don't see practice so my opinion is necessarily limited to what I did see. I don't doubt PJ was wanting MJ to come out and shine, maybe the hit if the first series shook him up and if that is the case it's understandable that it might take him a bit to bounce back.

Now to the 3 babies, LJ, JJ and TO. I read upthread earlier someone mentioned LJ didn't jump out to them as a dynamic QB. To me that shows he plays under control and is making plays, not running around waiting to be a negative play or turnover. His long runs in the spring game and Saturday looked pretty dynamic to me! He understands when to throw the ball always and when to tuck it and get what you can. This may sound like I am down on JJ, nothing could be further from the truth. He IS dynamic but until he learns he cannot get away with the same type of loose play at the college level as he did at HS it is a major concern for me. Nothing kills offenses like big negative yardage plays and turnovers! When TO got his reps Saturday it was hard to believe he's just two week in the system, you can he has the tools to be a player in PJ's O.

As I sit here looking at game 1 to me its TM, MJ and LJ based on their grasp of the O and readiness to play. I love JJ but just don't think he's ready yet. TO is going to push them all going forward! Tech is well armed at the QB position, now and going forward!

PJ and Candeto know more than any/all of us so whoever is the starter I will cheering my heart out for to bring home a win!