QB battle

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
size? he's listed at 6'0", 188. The last qb to run inside a bunch was Tevin at 210. For reference, MJ is 208, Lucas is 210. I wouldn't expect much qb follow or midline with JJ or Taquan (5'10", 185). He does bring a lot of other skills to the table, but I imagine CPJ would call a game more like he did with JeT, only less passing. That kinda worries me because the threat of the pass opened up a lot on the ground with JeT.

I know you did not see the scrimmage but actually T Marshall was very effective in that scrimmage running the follow and the midline. His quickness and ability to really scoot through tight holes was very effective running in the middle.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah bc of an injury. Without injuries only time see a dif qb is goalline. But now i think i want Taquon or Jay to start, than Lucas. Good with any of those 3. Nothing against MJ. He can still do goalline. But i feel the other 3 will make our abacks more involved which is big bc theyve proven they can make big plays.
This is a very good point. Bottom line: whether wildly athletic or a physical plodder, our QB must be a distributor first. We have guys at the AB position who have proven they can make plays. Ultimately, IMHO we need a QB who forces the opposing DC to scheme to stop HIM, then he can distribute. We need a QB who will be slapping fan hands at the back of the EZ if DCs fail to do this. With JT, the threat was always there, even if he did nothing but give, pitch and pass all day.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He looks a little bigger to me, although I could be wrong. I don't always trust the sizes listen. Also TM was just running midlines in the scrimmage so idk why JJ wouldn't be able to. And I'm talking about it being just an every once in a while. He could call a JT type game with a little inside runnin game, not like he would call for MJ.
There is no physical reason why JJ couldn't run midline. It is just that the reads are different and the feel is different. JT never really seemed to grasp the feel of interior option running vs getting to the outside. Man was he good in space.

Personally, I think JJ will become to "running with the football" as Calvin was to "catching it". I am not sure from what position he will be doing it or how long it will take for him to win out at a position, but when he does, we will love having the ball in his hands. Hopefully it will be QB, but there is a defined list of things that need to happen before that will be the case.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know you did not see the scrimmage but actually T Marshall was very effective in that scrimmage running the follow and the midline. His quickness and ability to really scoot through tight holes was very effective running in the middle.
Good to hear. Is he good at getting down/contact avoidance?

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
If you liked the look of the offense in the JT era and would like the fewest stylistic changes (not to be confused with actual results), then that probably means TM.
I think this could be big in favor of TM. While MJ has the most game reps, if TM's game is more similar to Justin's, that could put him over the top.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It would shocking to me if CPJ chooses a freshman over MJ or TM to start the season, i do think that as the season progresses they will get their shots here and there and the cream will rise to the top if the starters aren't getting the job done. Time spent in CPJ's system as a QB matters tremendously and the freshman (while they may be ultimately more talented than the upperclassman) still have a lot to learn.

I'm expecting a rotation of MJ and TM, similar to how Cpj used Tevin-Vad....that should be hell to prepare for

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a very good point. Bottom line: whether wildly athletic or a physical plodder, our QB must be a distributor first. We have guys at the AB position who have proven they can make plays. Ultimately, IMHO we need a QB who forces the opposing DC to scheme to stop HIM, then he can distribute. We need a QB who will be slapping fan hands at the back of the EZ if DCs fail to do this. With JT, the threat was always there, even if he did nothing but give, pitch and pass all day.
Great point. The Qua leap worked because JeT had the attention of their back 8 and Kirby.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As has been pointed out above, there is no reason that a smaller QB can't run the midline. Rickey Dobbs was about the same size as Marshall and was very proficient at it.

I do take issue with the idea that our QBs have to be distributors first, however. Some have been, but many of our best since Coach came here were runners first, particularly Nesbitt and, in a different way, JT. I still think MJ starts against UT - I'd be shocked if he doesn't - and I would expect that he'd run the ball 25 or so times. He's that kind of QB. I think right now he's a little rusty, like Coach said, but I doubt that'll be the case for much longer. The result will be a QB/BB game with Jordan standing in for Will Worth. That'll be fun to watch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There is no physical reason why JJ couldn't run midline. It is just that the reads are different and the feel is different. JT never really seemed to grasp the feel of interior option running vs getting to the outside. Man was he good in space.

Personally, I think JJ will become to "running with the football" as Calvin was to "catching it". I am not sure from what position he will be doing it or how long it will take for him to win out at a position, but when he does, we will love having the ball in his hands. Hopefully it will be QB, but there is a defined list of things that need to happen before that will be the case.

JJ is certainly electric. The kind of talent fans really wanna see on the field. I know he's a QB first. He may or may not win that job and or stay there. Most see him as an Aback next if he indeed happens to move. Very possible. I think he'd be just as good at WR though. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in the future, wherever he ends up.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't see JJ changing positions. The reason he chose us was because we took him as a QB when the factories wanted him as a receiver or back. He wants to play QB.

CPJ made some "QB of the future" type comments in the post practice presser today. Big question still to be determined....how far out? The future is now?

Wish CPJ had been asked about LJ in the presser but he wasn't directly.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Been saying it, JJ has a good chance to be starting by seasons end. He's so electric if he can just take care of the ball and get those reads down I think he will be the guy for the next 4 years.