QB battle

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Never understood this cliche. There's only one starting spot for each of the 22 spots. Most positions are specialized not interchangeable. Some are, not many.
It simply means that if your #2 at position X can be better than your #1 at position Y, then you should move the #2 position X player to position Y to maximize available resources.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
My grandson tells me Belichick puts his #2 db with a double team on the opponents # 1 receiving target and puts the Best DB single coverage on #2 receiving target.
I have no confirmation of this and am seeking one if true, but to me it makes some sense to play coverage like that. Maybe mix it up down to down. . Do we do things like that?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
My grandson tells me Belichick puts his #2 db with a double team on the opponents # 1 receiving target and puts the Best DB single coverage on #2 receiving target.
I have no confirmation of this and am seeking one if true, but to me it makes some sense to play coverage like that. Maybe mix it up down to down. . Do we do things like that?

Probably sometimes. But if you consistently double team a specific WR, an NFL QB is going to carve you up.

Milwaukee

Banned

Yes that is true. Revis usually took the #2, now he has Butler taking the #2 I believe. It was a big reason Revis signed with him iirc. But it's not a cakewalk for his number 1 CB, he leaves them completely isolated with zero help on the #2 wr so he can roll safeties to the opposite side and underneath. Revis took it as a challenge. It's pretty cool.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Yes that is true. Revis usually took the #2, now he has Butler taking the #2 I believe. It was a big reason Revis signed with him iirc. But it's not a cakewalk for his number 1 CB, he leaves them completely isolated with zero help on the #2 wr so he can roll safeties to the opposite side and underneath. Revis took it as a challenge. It's pretty cool.
Thanks for confirmation. He is getting to know the NFL like I knew MLB in my teens decades ago.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think Butler got traded.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
It simply means that if your #2 at position X can be better than your #1 at position Y, then you should move the #2 position X player to position Y to maximize available resources.

Example would be Anthony Allen at A-back, moving back to B-back after Dwyer went pro.

This. We are so blessed with talent at QB right now. Hard to remember the days when we had a sophomore JfN with zero option experience, freshman Jaybo Shaw who looked like a middle school kid out there physically, and CALVIN BOOKER! (undefeated as a starting QB, baby!) And even recently we have been thin at the position. There was a time when guys like Chase Martenson were legit #3s there.

Now look at us. A RS-Jr. with a big road win under his belt, a strong arm, power run game and leadership skills... a Jr. burner with game experience and high confidence who was one of our best ABs as a freshman... a RS-Fr. with size, speed, and real passing talent... another RS-Fr. who reminds us of a 6' 200 lb. JeT... and an incoming freshman who may be as good as any of them.
Yes, it wasn't so long ago CPJ was being criticized for not being able to get a quality quarterback for this offense. Now, after two seasons with arguably the best quarterback in more than a decade, we have four that appear to be more than capable and another waiting in the wings. Looking forward to sustained qb play for the next few years.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No film from the scrimmage... they asked for no pictures and no video. I would never post film of a scrimmage anyways.

Here are some observations not mentioned clearly else were... and some added perspective.

The 1st defense came on strong for MJ's first few series. Keep in mind there was also a lot of juggling of the OL to start out as well. This put MJ at a disadvantage. Even with that disadvantage, MJ did not have smooth meshes. It almost looked like Mills was getting to the line to fast at times with MJ as well. I think some of those missed pitches will show defended on film (I could be wrong ; ). Although there was one were the defender taking the pitch was 5 yards back and MJ could have pitched given the distance of the defender. The defense was taking away the pitch just like the spring game. There was a general smoothness missing during the MJ series for the whole offense and for MJ in particular. There were several offensive penalties to start out. As CPJ said, the O has a long way to go to get ready for UT. But, this was just the first scrimmage.

TM took on the second team defense to their endzone. Keep in mind second string also had some 3rd string due 1st strings missing. He also ran the 2s at least twice.

LJ got to take the 1st O after MJ. The OL did start to perform better after the juggling (which should have helped LJ and would have helped MJ). LJ did show some very good abilities, was smooth and showed poise. LJ got to take the 1st O at least twice.

Jay Jones got in on the 2s and showed some serious sparks. Jay was dynamic, takes big risks, and has the potential to have big plays for either team (as CPJ said). He had some back field double reverse scrambles and a wild pitch. He is going to continue to improve as he starts following/staying inside the system and making the right decisions in a bad situation.

TM got to go with the ones and moved the 1s down the field. I will qualify that the D had some minor regression as the scrimmage went on. I know it sounds like I am hedging on TM, I am not... I am just letting you know what I think. I am not anti TM. In fact I was very impressed with TM's two midline plays! I think I have some internal bias for LJ for some reason and I don't know why... I can see TM starting and would be happy with his performance.

I think anyone there, if they look back with an honest eye, can factor in some of the issues MJ was facing with the OL and a fresh D, TM playing against almost 3rd string defense to start, and the defense losing steam as the scrimmage progressed.

Right now I am a toss up on LJ and TM (looked the best in the spring game and had a great scrimmage) with MJ and Jay following with individual areas needed for improvement.

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
No film from the scrimmage... they asked for no pictures and no video. I would never post film of a scrimmage anyways.

Here are some observations not mentioned clearly else were... and some added perspective.

The 1st defense came on strong for MJ's first few series. Keep in mind there was also a lot of juggling of the OL to start out as well. This put MJ at a disadvantage. Even with that disadvantage, MJ did nor have smooth meshes. It almost looked like Mills was getting to the line to fast at times with MJ as well. I think some of those missed pitches will show defended on film (I could be wrong ; ). Although there was one were the defender taking the pitch was 5 yards back and MJ could have pitched given the distance of the defender. The defense was taking away the pitch just like the spring game. There was a general smoothness missing during the MJ series for the whole offense and for MJ in particular. There were several offensive penalties to start out. As CPJ said, the O has a long way to go to get ready for UT. But, this was just the first scrimmage.

TM took on the second team defense to their endzone. Keep in mind second string also had some 3rd string due players so many 1st strings missing. He also ran the 2s at least twice.

LJ got to take the 1st O after MJ. The OL did start to perform better after the juggling (which should have helped LJ and would have helped MJ). LJ did show some very good abilities, was smooth and showed poise. LJ got to take the 1st O at least twice.

Jay Jones got in on the 2s and showed some serious sparks. Jay was dynamic, takes big risks, and has the potential to have big plays for either team (as CPJ said). He had some back field double reverse scrambles and a wild pitch. He is going to continue to improve as he starts following/staying inside the system and making the right decisions in a bad situation.

TM got to go with the ones and moved the 1s down the field. I will qualify that the D had some minor regression as the scrimmage went on. I know it sounds like I am hedging on TM, I am not... I am just letting you know what I think. I am not anti TM. In fact I was very impressed with TM's two midline plays! I think I have some internal bias for LJ for some reason and I don't know why... I can see TM starting and would be happy with his performance.

I think anyone there, if they look back with an honest eye, can factor in some of the issues MJ was facing with the OL and a fresh D, TM playing against almost 3rd string defense to start, and the defense losing steam as the scrimmage progressed.

Right now I am a toss up on LJ and TM (looked the best in the spring game and had a great scrimmage) with MJ and Jay following with individual areas needed for improvement.
Top notch report!