Previous Offense and Recruiting

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Kinda like triple option offense, huh?

So, will we run an offense that 50% or more NFL teams run?
I believe the real difference will be obviously the formation it’s ran out of, hopefully in time it will be bigger and faster lineman not diving at legs, and we will throw more than 11 times a game. We get it. Teams run the option. But it isn’t the only way to play football.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I believe the real difference will be obviously the formation it’s ran out of, hopefully in time it will be bigger and faster lineman not diving at legs, and we will throw more than 11 times a game. We get it. Teams run the option. But it isn’t the only way to play football.
My point is that the triple option is a play not an offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
C’mon man, you’re just being difficult now. You know exactly what the point is, CGC said it pretty clearly when he started. We will show the players the blocking techniques, route trees, etc that the NFL uses and call plays to let them use them in games. We will let linemen use a two point stance sometimes for pass pro, we will use a shotgun and throw to the TE. Yes football is football but we have been teaching our guys to do a lot of it differently than everybody else.
Lack of route tree really hurt D. Thomas in the draft. Shaq has done quite well, too. If guys are good enough, they'll go.

I hope the song and dance works. We need to up our recruiting big time because now we don't have the uniqueness of the offense on our side. We'll be doing basically the same as everybody else and have to outrecruit them to win.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Lack of route tree really hurt D. Thomas in the draft. Shaq has done quite well, too. If guys are good enough, they'll go.

I hope the song and dance works. We need to up our recruiting big time because now we don't have the uniqueness of the offense on our side. We'll be doing basically the same as everybody else and have to outrecruit them to win.
It worked for them because they were exceptional talents. Lots of other guys have been overlooked. Plus they both had to put in a lot of extra work to learn what they didn’t learn in college.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It worked for them because they were exceptional talents. Lots of other guys have been overlooked. Plus they both had to put in a lot of extra work to learn what they didn’t learn in college.
You have to be an exceptional talent to make at the next level no matter what. All draftees have to work hard to make teams and excel at the next level. I think it's way overblown.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Kinda like triple option offense, huh?

So, will we run an offense that 50% or more NFL teams run?

**Shakes magic 8 ball**

ASK
AGAIN
LATER
2iGfwAj

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. One of the main things I think we'll miss is being able to convince players that weren't that heavily recruited for positions they preferred to come to Tech. One good example of this is Mills. He wanted to play RB. Nobody wanted him to; he was being recruited as an LB. He didn't fit the shotgun spread RB profile and he was a pretty good LB. But he came to Tech because we wanted him to play BB, a position he was born to play.

Now we are competing with everybody else for roughly the same profile of players. If we are going to succeed long term, we will have to get really good at identifying prospects. I think we can succeed, given the proper level of resources, but it won't be as easy to pick up players who will make a difference.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think there exists a unique offense that only 1 of 32 NFL teams use. I haven't watched since the Falcons blew the super bowl, but it seems like they were all similar and mixed concepts, with the teams with particularly athletic QBs maybe doing some different stuff. Ultimately, and I think what you are getting at, is that we can pretty much call anything we run "NFL style"....except the flexbone triple option.

absolutely no one is running 30 QB Keepers / game in the NFL lol

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Trying to beat more talented teams on scheme alone was having diminishing returns, anyway. If we can get in the same ballpark with the better teams talent-wise, then coaching could put us over the top.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Trying to beat more talented teams on scheme alone was having diminishing returns, anyway. If we can get in the same ballpark with the better teams talent-wise, then coaching could put us over the top.
I agree. Both ways to skin the cat include some pretty big "ifs" going your way. CPJ's model for success required exceptional talents at key positions like qb, rb, wr and at least one OL, see 2014. He was snake bit by injury, dismissal and untimely graduation. Some of his best recruits/signees never saw the field or had their GT careers cut short. Luck plays a pretty big part when you live on the margins. Getting JeT and Smelter was luck working in our favor, but a lot of luck worked against us, too (Ratliffe, Mills, Benson, Lucas J, plethora of OL injuries).

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

agreed, it was pretty clear that the unique offense wasn't giving us a real advantage any longer while still hindering our defense, for reasons discussed elsewhere, and our recruiting, also discussed elsewhere. I think the move to a scheme that more players want to play in, coupled with a better defense and improved recruiting is the better path to sustained excellence than what we had.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
agreed, it was pretty clear that the unique offense wasn't giving us a real advantage any longer while still hindering our defense, for reasons discussed elsewhere, and our recruiting, also discussed elsewhere. I think the move to a scheme that more players want to play in, coupled with a better defense and improved recruiting is the better path to sustained excellence than what we had.

Our defense, recruiting and kicking game all better improve because we will no longer have the unique option offense as an equalizer. We will no longer have the luxury of mediocre to poor defenses or kicking games being mitigated by ridiculous rushing yards, TOP and greatly reduced possessions for opponents that all served to shorten the game, usually to our benefit. Our problems under Coach Johnson largely stemmed from not getting difference makers at receiver, never having enough defensive linemen and ongoing issues in the offensive line from injuries, lack of depth, and recruiting mistakes. "It WAS what it WAS" Now we can find new things to ***** about.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No kidding. If you’re good enough for the NFL, they’ll find you. Problem is, the top high school recruits apparently didn’t believe that in large enough numbers.

Finding you is one thing, but not getting drafted where you should because scouts just don't have enough relevant film on you can cost you a whole lot of money. If we are selling recruits on a 40 year plan and they have the talent to play at the next level, CGC feels that we should be developing them for their next career just like GT's academics develops the rest of the players for their future careers, as well.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Our defense, recruiting and kicking game all better improve because we will no longer have the unique option offense as an equalizer. We will no longer have the luxury of mediocre to poor defenses or kicking games being mitigated by ridiculous rushing yards, TOP and greatly reduced possessions for opponents that all served to shorten the game, usually to our benefit. Our problems under Coach Johnson largely stemmed from not getting difference makers at receiver, never having enough defensive linemen and ongoing issues in the offensive line from injuries, lack of depth, and recruiting mistakes. "It WAS what it WAS" Now we can find new things to ***** about.

It's been a few years since the previous regime offense was much of an equalizer. 6-7 win seasons aren't anything to brag about but "was what it was" when it mercifully ended.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
The Ravens did...and they got smoked in the first round of the playoffs because their passing game was worthless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No, the Ravens weren't running Lamar Jackson 30 times/game. Last time BALT won a Super Bowl, Joe Whacko Flacco led the way with his arm, not a bunch of stupid QB Keepers. L-Jax won't lead BALT to anything but playoff losses.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's been a few years since the previous regime offense was much of an equalizer. 6-7 win seasons aren't anything to brag about but "was what it was" when it mercifully ended.

Since 2016, the offense was ranked 21st, 23rd, and 14th respectively in OFEI. Our offense wasn't the problem. It was the abysmal defenses we fielded that proved to be our undoing. Had we ever solved the defensive side of the ball, we'd consistently win 8-10 games a year with CPJs O.

Our offense was the ONLY thing keeping us in games.