Previous Offense and Recruiting

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
1. We never have a problem seeing the ACC "eat it's own children" in basketball. That's what is happening in the Coastal and has been for years. And, since the team ending up as the Atlantic champ was either FSU or Clemson, two teams everybody has problems beating, I don't see the drought as indicting too much of anything, except that the Atlantic has the best team in the conference.
2. "The argument is that GT should be doing better, and with CPJ getting similar, if not worse, results than Gailey, especially the last few years." I remind you that in 2016, a time well within what most anybody would call "the last few years", we won 9 games. As we did four times during Paul's regime at Tech. And as Chan did once. It's interesting how selective people's vision can become when they are convinced that things are going badly. It would have been nice if we could have taken the reins in the Coastal, but that balance I wrote of earlier made that difficult.

Look, I know there are people here who were hot for a change because they thought we had stagnated and weren't doing as well as we should. Maybe they are right; none of us know right now. Like I said before, I'd be content if Coach does as well as Paul and happy if he does better. One thing that I don't think will change, however, is the balance in the Coastal.
Georgia won 10 games in 2015 but ended the season unranked as the average P5 team they beat had a winning percentage in the 0.369 range. Wins are a good indicator of success, but if the only thing you do is play ****ty teams, than no **** you should win. GAileys worst UGA team would be in the top half of the teams Johnson faced. CPJ Played multiple years of multiple FCS schools, and played fewer ranked OOC P5 opponents than Gailey did, despite coaching 5 more years. ACC also had an average of more ranked teams (4) in Gaileys tenure, than in Johnsons (3). Even more important, as Gailey was split 50/50 in having to play a 9 team confrence scheudle and then the split to two 8 game divisions. Johnson benefited from an easier schedule, and still only won the coastal twice (one more time than Gailey, in 8 more years. UNC won in 2012, followed by Miami, but both had to give up due to post season elgibility issues). Its amazing how much easier your schedule gets when two of your biggest opponents in VT and Miami go from competing for titles to competing for bowl legibility.
I again disagree of the aspect of balance. if it was a good kind of balance, there would be OOD success in confrence titles, BCS bowl wins, and strong OOC victories. The Coastal has weak OOC victories and is dead last in divisions for conference titles and BCS/NY6 wins in the last 8 years, much less the 6 since realignment. Its not like the top of the ACC in basketball kind of parity, which has had three different teams win titles in the last 5 years. Coastal has none of that success.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia won 10 games in 2015 but ended the season unranked as the average P5 team they beat had a winning percentage in the 0.369 range. Wins are a good indicator of success, but if the only thing you do is play ****ty teams, than no **** you should win. GAileys worst UGA team would be in the top half of the teams Johnson faced. CPJ Played multiple years of multiple FCS schools, and played fewer ranked OOC P5 opponents than Gailey did, despite coaching 5 more years. ACC also had an average of more ranked teams (4) in Gaileys tenure, than in Johnsons (3). Even more important, as Gailey was split 50/50 in having to play a 9 team confrence scheudle and then the split to two 8 game divisions. Johnson benefited from an easier schedule, and still only won the coastal twice (one more time than Gailey, in 8 more years. UNC won in 2012, followed by Miami, but both had to give up due to post season elgibility issues). Its amazing how much easier your schedule gets when two of your biggest opponents in VT and Miami go from competing for titles to competing for bowl legibility.
I again disagree of the aspect of balance. if it was a good kind of balance, there would be OOD success in confrence titles, BCS bowl wins, and strong OOC victories. The Coastal has weak OOC victories and is dead last in divisions for conference titles and BCS/NY6 wins in the last 8 years, much less the 6 since realignment. Its not like the top of the ACC in basketball kind of parity, which has had three different teams win titles in the last 5 years. Coastal has none of that success.
Our SOS in Johnson's best years: 2009 (11-3) 17th, 2014 (11-3) was 26th, 2016 (9-4) 38th
Our SOS in Gailey's best year 2006 (9-5) was 42nd.

I don't doubt that Gailey on average faced a tougher schedule, but I think it's overblown by people who like to #$#$ on Johnson's success here.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Our SOS in Johnson's best years: 2009 (11-3) 17th, 2014 (11-3) was 26th, 2016 (9-4) 38th
Our SOS in Gailey's best year 2006 (9-5) was 42nd.

I don't doubt that Gailey on average faced a tougher schedule, but I think it's overblown by people who like to #$#$ on Johnson's success here.

SoS, and it looks like S&P by the looks of it, guesses the estimated win percentage the average P5 team would have against that schedule. Having a schedule with a better bottom (e.g. the emergence of Duke from the basement, and switching the anual match with B.C, Maryland, and Wake Forest with Pitt) bumps a game with a winning percentage of like 90% to say like 50%. His SOS gets a bump from the bottom, while getting generally cut at the top. Because SoS is inherently a sum, having a stronger bottom makes the SoS stronger than having a great team become worse makes it get weaker.

Because confrence titles and big bowl games are decided by the division match ups, i still stand by Gailey having the more difficult schedule due to the VT and Miami roadblocks.

TechPreacher

Banned
Thank you for your confession, Preacher, that you are confused. Indisputably true.

You would have been a perfect candidate for one of our last 3 ADs, however, since you have little understanding about what or how long it takes to build a successful P5 football program (although there were extenuating circumstances with Radakovich). People like you will be the first to whine when the 2019 season turns out to be what it is--a rebuilding year.

Confused? You are the only one who seems to think that CPJ only coached 9 years at Tech.