Previous Offense and Recruiting

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
In High School, we ran the single wing. And that was in the late 60’s and early 70’s. I never thought I would ever see a direct snap to a RB or QB. Things change.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
$3 million is real money so don't get blinded by the superstars making $6 or $7 million. I can't be the only one bothered that in the year the AD decided to throw money at the football program, finally, they showered it on an unknown of modest accomplishment. (And I think even Collins' boosters will acknowledge his track record is modest.)

What were dabo and kirby's accomplishments? Didn't stop them from getting $

And Collins isn't unknown. I and many others had him as a strong candidate day 1. His accomplishments are only modest if you ignore his whole career as a defensive coordinator and recruiter. His 2 years of head coaching experience just added to an impressive resume.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
$3 million is real money so don't get blinded by the superstars making $6 or $7 million. I can't be the only one bothered that in the year the AD decided to throw money at the football program, finally, they showered it on an unknown of modest accomplishment. (And I think even Collins' boosters will acknowledge his track record is modest.)
Again, who was available with greater 'starpower', so to speak? The Whiz is the only name commodity I recall being available and that would've been a boring hire IMO.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta has become the center of the SE for culture, especially in pop culture. Having an old school offense and coaching style isn't wrong, but it doesn't take advandtage of what the off campus offers that GT can provide. As stated above, the changes in recruiting services also makes people wonder if in a post-chip kelly world if having a different offense would allow GT to make up the tiny difference in talent gap that the coastal division has. There isn't a huge correlation for recruiting ranking and end of season ranking, but the one for recuritng ranking and division placement is pretty damn high.

As for the actual topic of the thread, Feel like we should get a better view of the offense in two weeks or so in the spring game, but until we actually see it in action, this will be nothing but a debate thread as there is nothing tangible to talk about due to the unique situation we are in.
I agree with almost everything you said. But

When I look around at successful programs I don't see much in the way of off campus advantages showing up as part of the equation. Is there a big cultural boost for Vandy, for instance, from being in the home of country music or for Memphis from being in the home of the blues? On the other hand, I can't think of any place in the known universe that is more devoid of off campus appeal then Tuscaloosa. Or College Station. Or Manhattan, Kansas. Or Lincoln, Nebraska. Or … well, dang near every town that has a college with a winning football program. About the only exception is - God help us - Athens.

But, yes, I look forward to seeing the spring game too. I hope there encouraging news we've heard so far about how the players are adapting to new schemes on both sides of the ball are accurate.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with almost everything you said. But

When I look around at successful programs I don't see much in the way of off campus advantages showing up as part of the equation. Is there a big cultural boost for Vandy, for instance, from being in the home of country music or for Memphis from being in the home of the blues? On the other hand, I can't think of any place in the known universe that is more devoid of off campus appeal then Tuscaloosa. Or College Station. Or Manhattan, Kansas. Or Lincoln, Nebraska. Or … well, dang near every town that has a college with a winning football program. About the only exception is - God help us - Athens.

But, yes, I look forward to seeing the spring game too. I hope there encouraging news we've heard so far about how the players are adapting to new schemes on both sides of the ball are accurate.
LA and Miami are more comparable examples. Memphis and Nashville are entirely different beasts especially when it comes to raw population. 7 million people is a lot. Especially with local talent nearby. More so that than the culture, more so pointing out Atlanta is a different beast than what it was 20 years ago. Especially after Katrina and the population migration. IMO Atlanta’s biggest appeal is being close to family

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Let what go? Did I catch something loose in the hen house? All I know for sure is that a "pro style offense" is to "new" what the Green Bay sweep was to deception, and Collins 2-year record at a mid-major was 15-10, or kind of okay. His hiring by GT indicated to me that Tech is not a glamor magnet for top coaching prospects, and please, please spare me the "they got a Tech man" defense. I like a couple of his hires, with the caveat that we don't really know if they can coach or even recruit, And am I wrong -- I can be, you know -- but was not Geoff Collins the architect of that Mississippi State Defense that Georgia Tech shredded in the 2016 Orange Bowl? (Not that I would hold bolting from Starkville against him.) I'll forgive a lot of sins if he can win. And that is the only sales job that counts.
You realize Collins wasn’t there for the Orange Bowl? And his Mediocre track record includes being apart of MSU reaching the #1 Ranking and their best season in recent history, and as DC leading Flordia to the SEC Title . Collins also beat USF last year with a dominant defense that forced the turnovers to win them the game, a team that ran us off the field defensively.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You realize Collins wasn’t there for the Orange Bowl? And his Mediocre track record includes being apart of MSU reaching the #1 Ranking and their best season in recent history, and as DC leading Flordia to the SEC Title . Collins also beat USF last year with a dominant defense that forced the turnovers to win them the game, a team that ran us off the field defensively.

And let’s not forget he is also the DB Whisperer with another going in the 1st rd of the draft this year in Rock Ya Sin
FF941850-10E0-43C7-93CC-D4D8ACDF5455.jpeg

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In High School, we ran the single wing. And that was in the late 60’s and early 70’s. I never thought I would ever see a direct snap to a RB or QB. Things change.
We ran the single wing at my college in the mid-60s. Worked like a charm. Of course, having a 6'3", 225 lb. tailback who cut a 10.3 100 helped a lot too.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
his defense was.

Animal02

Banned
Not the ones sucking down the koolaid non stop

Milwaukee

Banned
Not the ones sucking down the koolaid non stop

Let me ask you a question Animal. I've been hard on you this week, I'll admit. But let me ask you a question honestly, because the quoted post above is a microcosm of your attitude since Paul quit.

What will it take to make you enthusiastic for GT football at the moment? Just answer the question as it stands now, what will it take? You have to realize we have a coach that hasn't coached a game for us yet. My 2nd question is based off the assumption that I know your answer to the 1st question: are you going to pout and kind of hope Collins goes down and Paul comes back in 3 to 5 years?

I'm assuming your answer is "Collins is just all big talk, he hasn't even coached a game...he could be crap and not sniff Paul's jock for all we know". So do you think it's fair to be miserable to all the GT fans and Collins and staff until he has 2 or 3 seasons under his belt? Dude it's gonna be a long summer for all of us with you around. And I'm not trying to pick on you I promise. We just don't know why something triggered with you when Paul quit. Nobody here made him quit, you seriously realize that right?

Please elaborate or explain your negative stance to the board, who are all Tech fans.

I've met Animal in person and he's a super nice dude. The Animal since Paul quit is troublesome.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
his defense was.
I don’t agree with a lot of what you have been posting but this is the first stupid one I’ve seen from you. I know you don’t think you just set up your offensive or defensive scheme and roll it out there. If that’s the case then PJs vaunted in game adjustments and playing chess to their checkers is complete BS. We ran them because they didn’t deal with CGCs absence and never made any effective adjustments

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
his defense was.
We also Dominated Clemson’s and Georgia’s defense that year, it’s almost like Georgia Tech was a talented team and the teams they beat were outmatched. We didn’t just out scheme MSU, I remember Days long run breaking multiple tackles and tightroping the sideline, Waller’s jump ball TD, JT’s juke to score. Those are great individuals making great individual plays. Tech had talent that year and beat a lot of good teams and if you think the 2014 Orange Bowl is a good representation of his Defense you’re not a Skeptic you’re just ignorant. Collins wasn’t there, he wasn’t involved with the preparation at all. Also if you want to keep comparing look at his Numbers against UGA while he was at Florida. Geoff Collins is an elite coach that was brought up around elite coaches, he was the perfect hire and has hit all his mark this offseason. You can continue to question the uncertainty of this up coming season but bringing up his Resume doesn’t help you.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with a lot of what you have been posting but this is the first stupid one I’ve seen from you. I know you don’t think you just set up your offensive or defensive scheme and roll it out there. If that’s the case then PJs vaunted in game adjustments and playing chess to their checkers is complete BS. We ran them because they didn’t deal with CGCs absence and never made any effective adjustments

Apropos of not a dang thing, but in 2017 Temple played Army and Navy. Lost to Army 31-28 in OT, and beat Navy 34-26 the following week.

In 2018, Temple beat Navy 24-17.

What does it mean? Nothing really, but it does kinda give you an idea of how CGC might have prepared Miss State a little better in the OB than they were. Of course, that 2014 offense was an absolute juggernaut. We put up some crazy numbers against some stout teams the last half of the schedule. If we had a half decent defense to go with that offense, GT probably makes the playoffs in 2014. Alas, the defense will always be a big reason why CPJ wasn't even more successful than he was.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you a question Animal. I've been hard on you this week, I'll admit. But let me ask you a question honestly, because the quoted post above is a microcosm of your attitude since Paul quit.

What will it take to make you enthusiastic for GT football at the moment? Just answer the question as it stands now, what will it take? You have to realize we have a coach that hasn't coached a game for us yet. My 2nd question is based off the assumption that I know your answer to the 1st question: are you going to pout and kind of hope Collins goes down and Paul comes back in 3 to 5 years?

I'm assuming your answer is "Collins is just all big talk, he hasn't even coached a game...he could be crap and not sniff Paul's jock for all we know". So do you think it's fair to be miserable to all the GT fans and Collins and staff until he has 2 or 3 seasons under his belt? Dude it's gonna be a long summer for all of us with you around. And I'm not trying to pick on you I promise. We just don't know why something triggered with you when Paul quit. Nobody here made him quit, you seriously realize that right?

Please elaborate or explain your negative stance to the board, who are all Tech fans.

I've met Animal in person and he's a super nice dude. The Animal since Paul quit is troublesome.
Did u meet Animal at BDS?