Previous Offense and Recruiting

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Since 2016, the offense was ranked 21st, 23rd, and 14th respectively in OFEI. Our offense wasn't the problem. It was the abysmal defenses we fielded that proved to be our undoing. Had we ever solved the defensive side of the ball, we'd consistently win 8-10 games a year with CPJs O.

Our offense was the ONLY thing keeping us in games.
Folks, read the first sentence above.
Stop...
Go read it again.
Let it sink in. Facts are facts.

Milwaukee

Banned
Folks, read the first sentence above.
Stop...
Go read it again.
Let it sink in. Facts are facts.

Huh? Why would you ignore the facts about the abysmal defenses and special teams? I think most of the rational fans don't think the offense was Paul's undoing and they're aware that he put up good efficiency numbers on spreadsheets.

The shi**y part about what's happening here lately is a couple of us Paul fans have to point out his flaws to the few Paul apologists who won't face facts. Paul is an offensive genius. Fact. Paul can't coach a P5 defense or a P5 sp teams group. Fact.

That's fair and honest.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Huh? Why would you ignore the facts about the abysmal defenses and special teams? I think most of the rational fans don't think the offense was Paul's undoing and they're aware that he put up good efficiency numbers on spreadsheets.

The shi**y part about what's happening here lately is a couple of us Paul fans have to point out his flaws to the few Paul apologists who won't face facts. Paul is an offensive genius. Fact. Paul can't coach a P5 defense or a P5 sp teams group. Fact.

That's fair and honest.
Point is that defense has in general been our downfall the last decade.
Did the offense over the last decade have problems against top 10 defensive teams? why yes they did just like all other offenses on all of the teams had problems against those defenses.
Not being Paul Johnson apologist just looking at the data. And yes that data includes a few good seasons, a couple of great seasons and some seasons that I'd rather not remember.

Please tell us that you are not considering having a top 25 or 30 offense efficiency rating is not being good.

Milwaukee

Banned
Did the offense over the last decade have problems against top 10 defensive teams? why yes they did just like all other offenses on all of the teams had problems against those defenses.
Not being Paul Johnson apologist just looking at the data. And yes that data includes a few good seasons, a couple of great seasons and some seasons that I'd rather not remember.

Please tell us that you are not considering having a top 25 or 30 offense efficiency rating is not being good.

I'm confused by the question and how you even arrived at it based on my post. "Please tell us that you are not considering having a top 25 or 30 offense efficiency rating is not being good". Why would anyone here think that is a bad thing?

I promise I don't think it's a bad thing.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm confused by the question and how you even arrived at it based on my post. "Please tell us that you are not considering having a top 25 or 30 offense efficiency rating is not being good". Why would anyone here think that is a bad thing?
Technically that's not a question. But could be considered an opportunity for a response, which you did do. :)

It seemed that you were picking up on some folks who are stating facts about offensive and defensive statistics. Maybe because I've been up for about 36 hours I'm a little too scatter shot in the head tonight.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

The head coach is equally responsible for both sides of the ball. So if one is good and the other is awful, it averages out to...average, which our recent records have been. Ya'll talk about CPJ as if he was just an OC.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's been a few years since the previous regime offense was much of an equalizer. 6-7 win seasons aren't anything to brag about but "was what it was" when it mercifully ended.
The offense wasn’t suddenly figured out. We didn’t have the right pieces to run it due to injury/discipline issues/recruiting misses. Those things are cyclical. We had Graham and Yates in the qb pipe and some good looking young backs, too. OL and wr were still questionable, though. Even the D showed promise with Woody in yr 2.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Since 2016, the offense was ranked 21st, 23rd, and 14th respectively in OFEI. Our offense wasn't the problem. It was the abysmal defenses we fielded that proved to be our undoing. Had we ever solved the defensive side of the ball, we'd consistently win 8-10 games a year with CPJs O.

Our offense was the ONLY thing keeping us in games.

I don't disagree that the D was a weakness but it played well enough to win against Pitt and Duke, 2 teams with similar talent that our offense no longer gave us an advantage against. The D can really only be blamed for USF loss in 2018. The loss to Clemson and mutts were team losses.

Not sure what those offensive rankings mean. Points? PPP? Rushing? Also not sure how much of an influence the VPI and Louisville games had on them?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
The offense wasn’t suddenly figured out. We didn’t have the right pieces to run it due to injury/discipline issues/recruiting misses. Those things are cyclical. We had Graham and Yates in the qb pipe and some good looking young backs, too. OL and wr were still questionable, though. Even the D showed promise with Woody in yr 2.

Woody only had 1 yr. Duke and Pitt had done a pretty good job against our O for the past few years. Neither of those teams out-talent us.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's been a few years since the previous regime offense was much of an equalizer. 6-7 win seasons aren't anything to brag about but "was what it was" when it mercifully ended.
Ah, how soon we forget! I remind you that we won 9 games in 2016 and curb stomped a favored Kentucky team in the Taxslayer. It's true that having a losing season in 2017 then a 7 win season last year (including, however, a classic 49 - 28 larruping of VT at Lane stadium and defeating both Miami and UVA at Grant Field) wasn't optimum. But I would point out that of the 6 Tech teams that won 9 or more games in the last 20 years, 4 of them were Paul's teams and one was only three seasons ago.

Let's hope we can do as well as you think with the new program. Personally, I'd be satisfied if Coach does as well as Paul in his time at Tech; if we give him the resources he needs, I'm pretty sure he can. Shoot, he might even do better. We'll find out soon enough.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
See above. A 9 win season is not average. Anywhere.

With the number of bowls, about half of FBS is now playing 13 games a year. With an FCS team on the schedule every year, 9 wins a year isn't outstanding, either.
And before people start with the "everyone plays an FCS team"---no they don't. And Johnson had 13 FCS wins in 11 years at Tech. Gailey only had 3 FCS teams on the schedule in 6 years.

Johnson was 53-53 against FBS in the last 9 years. If Collins is .500 vs FBS post year 2, maybe you will be satisfied, but I won't. I don't believe Collins will be either. I don't believe Johnson was satisfied with his results, which is why he left.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a good year, but we are averaging 6-6 over the past 4 and 7-5 over the past 3. Thats what I meant by recent records, plural.

The great Bobby Dodd only averaged 5 wins (4.5 losses and .75 ties) from 1957 to 1960. And in that period won as many as 6 games only once. I guess you would have been ready to fire coach Dodd by 1960?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

That's fair and honest.

Agreed. I was addressing the poster who said the O was no longer an equalizer for us. That's simply inaccurate.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That was a good year, but we are averaging 6-6 over the past 4 and 7-5 over the past 3. Thats what I meant by recent records, plural.
You know, when Paul was hired there were a lot of people here who said the same thing about Chan. They also said that they'd be willing to take average seasons or even a losing one, if Paul could get Tech to some really good years. He delivered and it wasn't enough. For some people.

What you seem to be asking for is that Coach give you 8 - 9 wins a year on average and the occasional 2014. I hope you're expectations are correct, but I seriously doubt that'll happen. As I said, I'll be satisfied if he can do as well as Paul. I'll take 9 wins every three years any day of the week. He'll have my support, however, no matter what.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't disagree that the D was a weakness but it played well enough to win against Pitt and Duke, 2 teams with similar talent that our offense no longer gave us an advantage against. The D can really only be blamed for USF loss in 2018. The loss to Clemson and mutts were team losses.

Not sure what those offensive rankings mean. Points? PPP? Rushing? Also not sure how much of an influence the VPI and Louisville games had on them?

This is a classic example of redefining the argument. Your original assertion was that "It's been a few years since the previous regime offense was much of an equalizer." Now, when I point out otherwise, you point merely to two specific games. Everyone has a bad game or two, and only two teams managed to beat uga and Clemson last year, so I'm pretty sure that, considering how atrocious our D has been, it's the O that's been winning games for us.

Also, in the Pitt game, down 21-0 at half, CPJ adjusts and brings us right back into it. The interception cost us that game, but our O was charging back in the second half.