Previous Offense and Recruiting

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with a lot of what you have been posting but this is the first stupid one I’ve seen from you. I know you don’t think you just set up your offensive or defensive scheme and roll it out there. If that’s the case then PJs vaunted in game adjustments and playing chess to their checkers is complete BS. We ran them because they didn’t deal with CGCs absence and never made any effective adjustments
Shoot, if this was the first you haven't been paying attention.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The cracks in the Miss. St. defense actually began appearing the game before against rival Ole Miss. At the time, MSU was ranked #4 and had hopes of reaching the 4 team playoff. After the game, Dan Mullen let his feelings be known about the meltdown.
https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/dan-mullen-defensive-coaches-egg-bowl/248777
So those long TDs by Tech in the Orange Bowl were not even unique to MSU, then. Goodness. I always wanted to be a fly on the wall when opposing teams were in the film room breaking down their next opponent from game film.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Let me ask you a question Animal. I've been hard on you this week, I'll admit. But let me ask you a question honestly, because the quoted post above is a microcosm of your attitude since Paul quit.

What will it take to make you enthusiastic for GT football at the moment? Just answer the question as it stands now, what will it take? You have to realize we have a coach that hasn't coached a game for us yet. My 2nd question is based off the assumption that I know your answer to the 1st question: are you going to pout and kind of hope Collins goes down and Paul comes back in 3 to 5 years?

I'm assuming your answer is "Collins is just all big talk, he hasn't even coached a game...he could be crap and not sniff Paul's jock for all we know". So do you think it's fair to be miserable to all the GT fans and Collins and staff until he has 2 or 3 seasons under his belt? Dude it's gonna be a long summer for all of us with you around. And I'm not trying to pick on you I promise. We just don't know why something triggered with you when Paul quit. Nobody here made him quit, you seriously realize that right?

Please elaborate or explain your negative stance to the board, who are all Tech fans.

I've met Animal in person and he's a super nice dude. The Animal since Paul quit is troublesome.

Troublesome because he doesn’t think just like you on a particular topic. Never expected you to join the thought police my friend.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The cracks in the Miss. St. defense actually began appearing the game before against rival Ole Miss. At the time, MSU was ranked #4 and had hopes of reaching the 4 team playoff. After the game, Dan Mullen let his feelings be known about the meltdown.
https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/dan-mullen-defensive-coaches-egg-bowl/248777
And Dec 16 Collins is DC for UF.

Mullens msu wins 10 games in 14

Couple years later Collins gets 300,000 pay raise to 900,000.
Leaves for temple head coach in 17.

Mullens to fla in 18. They win 10 games.

Mullens only 10 win seasons 14 and 18.

Eagles don't flock??

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing the acronym "RPO" pop up in posts about what our new offense will look like. I wonder if there are some who do not fully understand what this term means. "Run/Pass Option" is a specific set of plays that are designed to run block while the QB can make the decision to give it to a RB or pull it out and fling it to a WR. "Read Option" and "RPO" are not the same thing. RPO takes a high degree of mastery, and I would bet we will see a lot more Read Option than RPO (if any). It is an exciting play, though.
Kinda like triple option offense, huh?

So, will we run an offense that 50% or more NFL teams run?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Zero to 1, nice.

I don't think there exists a unique offense that only 1 of 32 NFL teams use. I haven't watched since the Falcons blew the super bowl, but it seems like they were all similar and mixed concepts, with the teams with particularly athletic QBs maybe doing some different stuff. Ultimately, and I think what you are getting at, is that we can pretty much call anything we run "NFL style"....except the flexbone triple option.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there exists a unique offense that only 1 of 32 NFL teams use. I haven't watched since the Falcons blew the super bowl, but it seems like they were all similar and mixed concepts, with the teams with particularly athletic QBs maybe doing some different stuff. Ultimately, and I think what you are getting at, is that we can pretty much call anything we run "NFL style"....except the flexbone triple option.

The patriots offense is actually pretty u ique even though the sets are reused it uses a ton run and shoot and option route concepts as the backbone. We will see how that changes with gronks retiring

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Which is the whole point of it. "WE'RE NOT RUNNING THE TRIPLE OPTION ANYMORE!!!"

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It’s more about what the players are doing than particular sets. OCs are always disguising things and doing anything they can to confuse defenses. The RPO has entered the NFL for example but they are still for the most part using the same blocking techniques, routes, etc. that’s what is different about the flexbone. Virtually everything we asked our players to do was different.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It’s more about what the players are doing than particular sets. OCs are always disguising things and doing anything they can to confuse defenses. The RPO has entered the NFL for example but they are still for the most part using the same blocking techniques, routes, etc. that’s what is different about the flexbone. Virtually everything we asked our players to do was different.
Block, get off blocks, tackle, break tackles, run, throw and catch. Football is football. If our guys can do these 7 things better than the other guys, good things happen!