Preseason Depth Chart

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Good find.

Stinger positioin I take it is the hybrid LB/Safety position that includes the "stand up rush end" role that Campbell talked about. Man, PERFECT for Jalen's physical talents. I've wanted to see him in that type of role for a while now. Thank goodness JJ has a DC that's willing to look outside the box and use players in various roles. Even though he only has 1 year left, it's better than leaving without seeing his talents realized at all.

Man, I'm super excited to see this defense. I think the Brant Mitchell is going to be the primary beneficiary of this new defense as he was miscast in Roof's scheme. Brant has all the tools to excel in CNW's scheme. BJS is going to be a MONSTER in inside as well...his speed/size/athleticism in the middle is going to be fun to watch.
Mrs. Johnson is that you? ;)

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Stinger position is interesting. A safety playing as a "stand up defensive end".

Almost sounds closer to a walked-up 335 than a traditional 34
When CNW was first being floated as a candidate for our DC position I remember reading that his defense was almost more similar to a 5-2 than a traditional 3-4 with his OLB's oftentimes being right at the line of scrimmage. The description of the stinger being a "stand up defensive end" lends a little more credence to that idea.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
When CNW was first being floated as a candidate for our DC position I remember reading that his defense was almost more similar to a 5-2 than a traditional 3-4 with his OLB's oftentimes being right at the line of scrimmage. The description of the stinger being a "stand up defensive end" lends a little more credence to that idea.
Yep, I remember that as well. I just wasn't expecting 215 pounders to be those DE's :)

TBH, the hire of woody has made me enjoy rooting for GT more, because now I get to watch interesting defense that forces the opposition to play left handed, at the same time as I get to watch interesting offense that forces the opposition to play left handed.

I am a big, big believer in forcing the other guy to beat you fighting your fight as opposed to his. This is what always drove me so nuts about Roof. Yes, he'll beat you sometimes, but at least the fight is contested on your terms.

GTRoy

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like a pretty strong 2-deep, honestly. We're weakest at WR and DB, in my opinion. Hopefully we'll be able to get pressure on the QB more consistently. We may also see a return to 2016 tactics and throw to ABs more often.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice looking depth chart... If Marshall develops and makes the right reads and hits on some more passes, the offense has a chance to be really good. Good offensive line, great cast of play-makers between Marshall, Benson, Howard, Lynch, Cottrell, and Searcy.

Defense looks like it will be pretty good too. I like the new 3-4 alignment.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Rofl don’t you realize you’re not supposed to enjoy rooting for Tech? Do you not read most of the posts here???
Well, that's the thing about being a second hand fan.

I root for Georgia Tech in my head, I root for UVA in my heart.

During a Georgia Tech game I analyze the game. During a UVA game I I suffer.

I know what it's like for you guys. When Georgia Tech loses it's like a gut-punch, and when Georgia Tech wins all you feel is relief.

Yeah, the Highs are higher when it's a team you love, but the lows are lower too.

Georgia Tech is fun for me, and to paraphrase Danny Ocean's wife, they don't make me cry.

I have wept over UVA football. Georgia Tech was involved.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's the thing about being a second hand fan.

I root for Georgia Tech in my head, I root for UVA in my heart.

During a Georgia Tech game I analyze the game. During a UVA game I I suffer.

I know what it's like for you guys. When Georgia Tech loses it's like a gut-punch, and when Georgia Tech wins all you feel is relief.

Yeah, the Highs are higher when it's a team you love, but the lows are lower too.

Georgia Tech is fun for me, and to paraphrase Danny Ocean's wife, they don't make me cry.

I have wept over UVA football. Georgia Tech was involved.

No fan better than a sidewalk gt fan.

Sorry i dog on uva, but you all have been in a funk for a while.

Hope your team gets on a good run and beat v t bad for about many years. We would like to help u give them a good dose of humble pie.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
No fan better than a sidewalk gt fan.

Sorry i dog on uva, but you all have been in a funk for a while.

Hope your team gets on a good run and beat v t bad for about many years. We would like to help u give them a good dose of humble pie.
LOL, dogging on the opposition is half the fun of sports. Dog away, my friend, we deserve it.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I dunno about that. I'm still trying to figure out how we can force eight punts and get a pick 6 in Charlottesville and still manage to lose.
roofing_shingles_replacement.png

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
No, all joking aside, Benkert is a feast or famine type. Sometimes he is a destroyer, like against you guys. Other times he's awful, like against Navy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the Brant Mitchell is going to be the primary beneficiary of this new defense as he was miscast in Roof's scheme. Brant has all the tools to excel in CNW's scheme. BJS is going to be a MONSTER in inside as well...his speed/size/athleticism in the middle is going to be fun to watch.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, part deux.

With Mitchell and Swilling we have the potential for a Rogers/Brooking combo at LB, something I've been hoping for a good long time. Brant is a lot like Ron was; a big guy who's good at holding ground and stopping things up. Bruce is a lot like Keith; a big guy with great speed who can cover or clog as the play dictates.

So far, this is only potential. If it turns out to be fact, it will be a massive headache for opposing OCs. Let's hope for that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before and I'll say it again, part deux.

With Mitchell and Swilling we have the potential for a Rogers/Brooking combo at LB, something I've been hoping for a good long time. Brant is a lot like Ron was; a big guy who's good at holding ground and stopping things up. Bruce is a lot like Keith; a big guy with great speed who can cover or clog as the play dictates.

So far, this is only potential. If it turns out to be fact, it will be a massive headache for opposing OCs. Let's hope for that.
We had some nice LB combinations in the Tenuta years. Wheeler/Hall comes to mind.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Yep, I remember that as well. I just wasn't expecting 215 pounders to be those DE's :)

TBH, the hire of woody has made me enjoy rooting for GT more, because now I get to watch interesting defense that forces the opposition to play left handed, at the same time as I get to watch interesting offense that forces the opposition to play left handed.

I am a big, big believer in forcing the other guy to beat you fighting your fight as opposed to his. This is what always drove me so nuts about Roof. Yes, he'll beat you sometimes, but at least the fight is contested on your terms.
+++++

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was struck by the size of our defensive backs. The average weight of the 8 db's on the depth chart is 199 lbs. I looked it up, and found that the average FBS db weighs in at 189.

Other FBS averages are...

LB - 223 (we average 220, including the ILB, STGR and JACK)

DL - 270 (our average is 275)

OL - 297 (our average is 286)

WR - 190 (our average is 201)

QB - 207 (our average is 198)

RB - 202 (our average is 192)

These numbers are from the "Next College Student Athlete" website and were supposedly compiled from the last 5 years of rosters.

I know they're just statistics, but kind of interesting. Overall, we're just about average. Heavier at DB, DL (!), and WR, and lighter at OL, QB, and RB. About average at LB.

So, the defense is a bit heavier than average, and the offense is on the light side, overall. FWIW.