Preseason Depth Chart

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Did Rivera play in the Spring?If he didn't how does he come in at #2 at SS? That is a strange to me?
If Curry had not been hurt so much (losing his speed) he would be ahead of Jalen Johnson at Stg,I believe.
Interesting that Carpenter is ahead of Bonds ,who looked really good on tape in hi school.
Sanders at #2 WR. He's the lightest WR maybe ever there at 185. No depth?
Carpenter is a stud, way underrated coming out of high school imo. He seems to be way more agile than Bonds as well. Bonds to be is more of an OLB and I actually think I saw something saying that’s where he’s at. Corey Griffin even said Carpenter will turn out to be a top 5 safety from that class.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Carpenter is a stud, way underrated coming out of high school imo. He seems to be way more agile than Bonds as well. Bonds to be is more of an OLB and I actually think I saw something saying that’s where he’s at. Corey Griffin even said Carpenter will turn out to be a top 5 safety from that class.
I can't wait to see Coach Woody's defense in action:cool:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how the "stinger" position is used in Woody's 3-4. From what I've read, the "stinger" position in other 3-4 is a type of hybrid OLB/safety. It has rushing and pass coverage responsibility. If that's the case with CNW's 3-4....THANK YOU!!!! I've been shouting for years that Jalen Johnson should be moved to LB with his size/speed/athleticism combo.

My understanding is that the stinger is much like the nickel and usually lines up on the strong side (jack on the weak side who more often is a pass rusher). Stinger coverage will often be the slot receiver. This position is very much like what Law Austin played last year and I believe J Johnson was a sometime backup to Law in that position and I agree his skill set is well suited to play the stinger.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Because other than Harvin, do we really WANT to know? lol Our Special Teams gives me anxiety...

I don't know that the PK would actually show anything anyway. If King is listed as the starter, it could be because Davis is still injured. I believe King's issues last year were likely because of his groin injury. In his HS film, his kick offs were mostly high and into the end zone. Some were to the back line of the end zone. Last year his kick offs were line drive high and only to the five yard line. A lot of his kicks last year had a helicopter twirl to them. His HS PATs and FGs didn't. He even had a 56 yarder in HS. I am hoping that he is back to at least his HS level this year. Davis's kicking wasn't stellar last year, but if King is kicking at the level of his HS video and Davis beats him out that is fine with me also.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that the PK would actually show anything anyway. If King is listed as the starter, it could be because Davis is still injured. I believe King's issues last year were likely because of his groin injury. In his HS film, his kick offs were mostly high and into the end zone. Some were to the back line of the end zone. Last year his kick offs were line drive high and only to the five yard line. A lot of his kicks last year had a helicopter twirl to them. His HS PATs and FGs didn't. He even had a 56 yarder in HS. I am hoping that he is back to at least his HS level this year. Davis's kicking wasn't stellar last year, but if King is kicking at the level of his HS video and Davis beats him out that is fine with me also.
Watching King warm up at Mill Creek was a thing of beauty. Our students would get into the student section an hour before kickoff (to get good seats) and everyone who cared about it was zoned in on King warming up. He would kick 60 yard field goals with room to spare.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Watching King warm up at Mill Creek was a thing of beauty. Our students would get into the student section an hour before kickoff (to get good seats) and everyone who cared about it was zoned in on King warming up. He would kick 60 yard field goals with room to spare.

I never saw him play in HS, but I just watched his HS video again. The first to kicks are the 56 yard field goal and a kickoff. The 56 yard field goal was higher than his kickoffs last year(or at least how I remember them). The first kickoff in the video actually goes through the uprights. Even with the extra 5 yards in college, that would have landed behind the back line of the end zone.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm anxious to see them too but I'm also hoping we see 'em a heck of a lot less than we did CTR's!!;)

I hope we see them a lot because we score a ton and the other guys don’t

I’m not sure what to make of the depth chart. John Ivemeyer was down the hall from me when I attended, so it’s great to see his kid starting. There are some other people that I hoped to see starting that I don’t see.

I’ll know more when we play Pitt.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I hope we see them a lot because we score a ton and the other guys don’t

I’m not sure what to make of the depth chart. John Ivemeyer was down the hall from me when I attended, so it’s great to see his kid starting. There are some other people that I hoped to see starting that I don’t see.

I’ll know more when we play Pitt.
We will find out a lot about the 2018 Yellow Jackets against the South Florida Bulls. South Florida is going to be a better team in 2018 than Pitt. I think USF goes 7-5 while i think Pitt wins 4-5 games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I really feel pretty good about this depth chart. Everybody either has decent playing experience or significant talent.

I suspect that if Cooper comes back healthy and game-ready, then Lee will move to LT and Will to RG on the starting OL.
Not so sure the ol coach is in his corner. After a kick as game at v t , he got a lot less playing time and we flopped.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree with AE that this chart is probably based on who gets well. If Marshall comes back ok, then he'll move in at OT and, if Cooper is ok, he'll take C. I sure do hope that's what happens. We need those guys for optimal performance.

Otherwise, this lineup will do for the time being. The schedule doesn't get really hairy until we play Clemson.
2 early season road games scare me.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish he could do that at GT here would be maginificient people that's exciting to see before any HS game imo

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Louisville scares me a little bit,but no lamar jackson,who's there's QB now?

FYI: https://www.louisvillecardinal.com/2018/06/football-position-breakdown-quarterback-2/

One thing you can count on with Petrino, his QBs will put up numbers no matter who is taking snaps. Pass is the going to be the starter, and he's a BIG QB with a big arm and ability to run. 4 Star QB out of high school. (BTW, Pass is out GA...GA is putting out a LOT of stud QBs lately).

This game could get out of hand if Petrino has his offense rolling, and our offense sputters. Luckily, Louisville's defense has not been very good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The stinger position

Good find.

Stinger positioin I take it is the hybrid LB/Safety position that includes the "stand up rush end" role that Campbell talked about. Man, PERFECT for Jalen's physical talents. I've wanted to see him in that type of role for a while now. Thank goodness JJ has a DC that's willing to look outside the box and use players in various roles. Even though he only has 1 year left, it's better than leaving without seeing his talents realized at all.

Man, I'm super excited to see this defense. I think the Brant Mitchell is going to be the primary beneficiary of this new defense as he was miscast in Roof's scheme. Brant has all the tools to excel in CNW's scheme. BJS is going to be a MONSTER in inside as well...his speed/size/athleticism in the middle is going to be fun to watch.