Potential DC for Next Year

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That doesn't change the fact that he was never fired from GT. While I am not a fan of bringing him back to GT, it's not a good look to be spreading lies about him as reasons for not bringing him back.
He left 2 times and the GT fan base was happy both times. Had he stayed he likely would have been fired. Is that better!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No. It's doubtful GOL was going to fire him and CPJ was not pleased when CTR left, so him leaving just before the axe is not accurate either.
We dissagee - his defenses were bad both times at GT. Tenuta was a much better DC. Gailey would not have retained him. CJP's run was ending and he knew that so he wasn't making changes as doing so within a year of resigning screws any new hires.

Are you related to TR? Do you think he was a good DC at GT?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
We dissagee - his defenses were bad both times at GT. Tenuta was a much better DC. Gailey would not have retained him. CJP's run was ending and he knew that so he wasn't making changes as doing so within a year of resigning screws any new hires.

IMO, Roof and TStan are similar in a few ways: both lettered in FB at Tech, both really love Tech and are good "Tech Men", both were mediocre ( at best ) at a job they held for many years. Point being, just being a loyal Tech man does not entitle a person to hold a particular position. That reason alone cannot be the prime criteria someone is hired.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Roof's bend-don't-break defense was passive and that drove me crazy. Maybe that is what we needed to do because we didn't have the Jimmy's and Joe's to match up one-on-one and go toe-to-toe with the more talented teams we were playing. I don't know enough about defensive schemes and am not a good enough talent evaluator to know what we had. I do know that his defenses were very frustrating to watch as a fan. I love the guy to death and have no idea why he left, but I want to see an attacking defense, not a soft, flexible defense meant to slow down the opposing offense long enough for them to make a mistake.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Roof's bend-don't-break defense was passive and that drove me crazy. Maybe that is what we needed to do because we didn't have the Jimmy's and Joe's to match up one-on-one and go toe-to-toe with the more talented teams we were playing. I don't know enough about defensive schemes and am not a good enough talent evaluator to know what we had. I do know that his defenses were very frustrating to watch as a fan. I love the guy to death and have no idea why he left, but I want to see an attacking defense, not a soft, flexible defense meant to slow down the opposing offense long enough for them to make a mistake.
Right or wrong, it was always my feeling that Tenuta got the lion's share of the talented players CCG's staff recruited who could have played on both sides of the ball. I never felt that was the case under CPJ.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Stats do not bear out your argument regarding either Roof or Tenuta. When Tenuta left GT he went to ND and had a 39th ranked DFEI his first year, which is severely underperforming according to the arguments on this thread, and made them worse. 62nd in 2009. He then went to UVA and had 50, 17, then 69. He has spent the years since then working as a college assistant coach, but never again as a DC until picked up by a USFL team a couple of years ago. Roof, however, keeps getting hired.

I am not related to CTR. I do think he was a good DC. I do not think he was a great DC here as he was limited severely by the talent he could get to play here. Whenever he has had talent, he has gotten results. That may seem a cop out but think how many schools that bring in talent by the boatloads have struggled over the years getting results out of that talent.

I am, however, someone who likes to deal in truth and not feelings. Most of the GT fan base doesn't like him and actively refuses to recognize that he has been a successful DC because if we did, we'd have to ask the really hard question: "Why has a coach who has seen success elsewhere seemingly struggled at GT?"

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

This. This is why, even though I feel he is a good DC, I wouldn't necessarily want him back here.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I always wondered about how much PJ was involved with the actual coaching decisions of the defense. It seemed to me, as an observer, that he tried to hire a competent DC and let them run it. He seemed more interested in his offense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think if we show improvement in the D that he is kept for another year. I think Thacker may move on which I think will be good for him to have additional experience. He has been OJT for the most part while here. He needs to be around other programs to learn. I would not be surprised to see him at Nebraska.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Ted Roof is a great Tech man and representative of the Institute. I also think he is a solid defensive coordinator. I don’t think he is a good fit for the defensive coordinator job at Tech. It’s a really tough job and requires creativity. It’s too bad Bud Foster was so attached to Beamer and Blacksburg; if we could have gotten him to come work with CPJ, we would have been a terror on both sides of the ball.

As far as our current situation goes, what we need right now is someone who can clean up the defense and get it to a decent level of play. That very well could be Sherrer.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think Ted Roof is a great Tech man and representative of the Institute. I also think he is a solid defensive coordinator. I don’t think he is a good fit for the defensive coordinator job at Tech. It’s a really tough job and requires creativity. It’s too bad Bud Foster was so attached to Beamer and Blacksburg; if we could have gotten him to come work with CPJ, we would have been a terror on both sides of the ball.

As far as our current situation goes, what we need right now is someone who can clean up the defense and get it to a decent level of play. That very well could be Sherrer.
And a superstar recruiter.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

Could be Sherrer, Saturday is a big test for him.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
3 games left to prove he is worthy of the job
Philosophy changes and performance changes rarely occur at the same rate. I think we are improved as the season progresses, but I do agree our new DC has a short audition window, whether that's fair or not.
I'm not sure how I feel about him. I'll feel better if we beat some team(s) we are not supposed to with a good defensive effort.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof’s defense is underperforming at Oklahoma, under a head coach who is probably a way better defensive coordinator than Roof himself. Literally nobody wants Ted Roof to be our DC except for you, apparently… for some reason.
Incorrect. I would welcome Ted Roof back as our defensive coordinator. Do you think the defensive guru Veneables would have hired Roof if he in his expert opinion thought Ted was hot garbage? You are entitled to your opinion but that does not make it correct.

Go Jackets!