Potential DC for Next Year

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I can’t tell if our fanbase is ridiculously loyal or just lacks creativity. There are no reasonable reasons why Ted Roof should be in this conversation. Defense was our Achilles’ heel during Roof’s last tenure and while the stats may not back up some of the more emotional negative memories, one has to also consider the effect that a ball controlling offense has on some of those numbers. Any religious GT viewer during those times will testify that our defense often looked bad and on good days, looked merely average. Even the magical 2014 had a defense that gave up a lot of points, but masked many of their faults with an unprecedented amount of turnovers. Yes, the defense under Roof wasn’t as bad as we negatively remember, but that doesn’t mean it was good,

Likewise, I would hope we keep our options opened for the next DC. The defense looked quite bad against BC and UNC. They also had the fortune of playing against a back up QB for a 2 win UVA team. This is not me taking credit away, but it’s me trying to realistically contextualize the “success” since the DC change and the “success” seems to mostly be due to us finding ways to win games despite not having a consistent effort by the defense versus earlier in the season when we were losing games, while also not having a consistent effort by the defense.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Ted Roof wasn't fired either time at GT. When GOL left GT, he moved to Duke. In 2017, he left for NCSU on his own as well. When the media asked CPJ if he would retain Roof at the end of the 2017 season, he told the media to "ask Ted Roof" whether or not he'd be staying.

Now, there was a LOT of fan discontent and rumors that he'd left ahead of the axe, but they have never been substantiated and CPJs reaction indicates it wasn't a firing.
The One thing I will say that roof has always been on staff when we beat the mutts

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ted Roof’s defense is underperforming at Oklahoma, under a head coach who is probably a way better defensive coordinator than Roof himself. Literally nobody wants Ted Roof to be our DC except for you, apparently… for some reason.
I don’t want to make any changes unless things go south which right now things are really good. As long as we keep getting better on defense I’m for keeping the DC we have now and I’ve said that for weeks now. I don’t care who the coaches are as long as we are competitive and winning football games. Just win baby lol

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want to make any changes unless things go south which right now things are really good. As long as we keep getting better on defense I’m for keeping the DC we have now and I’ve said that for weeks now. I don’t care who the coaches are as long as we are competitive and winning football games. Just win baby lol
I have zero issue with changing several defensive coaches. Changing out several offensive coaches and getting in some good transfers on offense has mad the offense light years better. No reason to think similar changes couldn't at least get the defense to below average from terrible.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I have zero issue with changing several defensive coaches. Changing out several offensive coaches and getting in some good transfers on offense has mad the offense light years better. No reason to think similar changes couldn't at least get the defense to below average from terrible.
If change is needed CK will make it. Just say I see a defense playing better that’s getting after the football since CK made the DC change. I believe the team is finally getting on the same page and we’re seeing it on the field. If things keep getting better I believe CK will keep things as is. I’m just a fan that loves to see Ga Tech win baby.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If change is needed CK will make it. Just say I see a defense playing better that’s getting after the football since CK made the DC change. I believe the team is finally getting on the same page and we’re setting on the field. If things keep getting better I believe CK will keep things as is.
Better is relative. The defense is still bad. UVA is a one off due to the key injuries they suffered. Clemson will be a better gage. They are an average offense. Holding them in the mid 20 would be good.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
44 is Efford- redshirt freshman, he was 6’2” 230 coming out of high school
Wow, he sure moves around well for that size. I guessed - 210 since he is way more active than anyone. No doubt he is getting to the tackles to help out, which is really a very good thing.
I saw this in spring game make hustle plays and will watch him in next 3 games.
These teams have serious utm rb/qb.

The decade before last years 2 good lb, our LB often got velcroed to their o lineman. Everyone went BIG yds. Rb happy for good gain and lb got a tackle. Got to have a lb that can get. HEAD AND NOT JUST ARM to the hole side of the offensive lineman.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Better is relative. The defense is still bad. UVA is a one off due to the key injuries they suffered. Clemson will be a better gage. They are an average offense. Holding them in the mid 20 would be good.
Results are relative to the talent on hand. The defense is probably going to stay relatively bad, more or less, until we can get some more experience and some more players in here.
The question is, are we improving? So far, results are encouraging. Time will tell, three games to go.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
44 is Efford- redshirt freshman, he was 6’2” 230 coming out of highschool
He has really come on the last 4 - 5 games. I noticed him often against UNC and UVA. He is now taking a lot of playing time from the combo of Moala/Tatum. I read somewhere that he is 3rd or 4th on the team in number of tackles and has really only played significant minutes in the last 5 games.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Good players do make coaches look good, I know we need an upgrade in players on defense, I do not know enough to have an opinion as to whether Sherrer can be a good DC or not. I hear all the arguments about TR but for me it has been pretty bad 2x he was here, that tells me enough is enough, it would be absolutely foolish to even think about trying that again. What is it that they say, "keep doing the same thing you have always done expecting different results is ------".

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He has really come on the last 4 - 5 games. I noticed him often against UNC and UVA. He is now taking a lot of playing time from the combo of Moala/Tatum. I read somewhere that he is 3rd or 4th on the team in number of tackles and has really only played significant minutes in the last 5 games.
He really has, 10 tackles against uva, I think he’s getting more comfortable in the scheme and not having to think too much. He def seems to have a better nose for the ball than our other lb’s.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Results are relative to the talent on hand. The defense is probably going to stay relatively bad, more or less, until we can get some more experience and some more players in here.
The question is, are we improving? So far, results are encouraging. Time will tell, three games to go.
The defense was terrible against UNC. It was literally impossible to get worse as we were 128 of 129 on defense.

Clemson game should be a tell.

Yes we need better players. Can this staff get better defensive players. No so far.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The defense was terrible against UNC. It was literally impossible to get worse as we were 128 of 129 on defense.

Clemson game should be a tell.

Yes we need better players. Can this staff get better defensive players. No so far.
UNC was Sherrer's first game as DC going against the top offense in the conference, by far. I like the confidence they played with against UVA, but it's early.

Indeed, recruiting acumen is a major factor in choosing a DC. At least getting into a bowl game (and hopefully winning it) will help that.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
The good news is we are trending up no matter what. This is not a 3 win season. The kids coming in for visits will see that. And it won't be terribly difficult to improve our starters and our depth on D.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
UNC was Sherrer's first game as DC going against the top offense in the conference, by far. I like the confidence they played with against UVA, but it's early.

Indeed, recruiting acumen is a major factor in choosing a DC. At least getting into a bowl game (and hopefully winning it) will help that.
Miami was his first game

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Key isn’t getter my rid of Sherrer. So, unless Key can pull off demoting him back to LB coach and him being OK with that under a new DC, then it’ll be him.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Sherrer was hired as Co-Defensive Coordinator to work with the LB's. Thacker was Co-Defensive Coordinator without specific group duties because he was focused on calling the defensive plays. After the BG game, Sherrer was given the playcalling duties, and the "co-" was removed from his title because Thacker was demoted to an assistant coach, working with the Safeties. To me, Sherrer was not "promoted" to anything, but Thacker was demoted. Other than clarifying the roles, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ted Roof’s defense is underperforming at Oklahoma, under a head coach who is probably a way better defensive coordinator than Roof himself. Literally nobody wants Ted Roof to be our DC except for you, apparently… for some reason.

I'm not an advocate for bringing Ted Roof back, but if a 20th ranked DFEI is underperforming then I'd love to be as bad as they are...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Holdovers on the offensive side of the ball: Chris Weinke
Holdovers on the defensive side of the ball: Thacker and Tillman (Thacker has been demoted) ]

Not really much "old" to change out. More coaches on offense (5) than on defense (4).