Potential DC for Next Year

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing if the truth were known the real in charge guy calling the shots for the OU defense is Venables, Roof probably fits in the role needed for that situation very well.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Someone please remind me, why are we pooping on Ted Roof? He's had some good D's, but struggled a bit under CPJ. His D's under CPJ were as good as any CPJ had. He was DC at GA Tech for 5 seasons, from 2013-2017. Here are his points against by season:

2013 (7-6): 297 (22.8 ppg)
2014 (11-3): 360 (25.7 ppg)
2015 (3-9): 309 (25.8 ppg)
2016 (9-4): 318 (24.5 ppg)
2017 (5-6): 292 (26.5 ppg)

2018 (7-6): 381 (29.3 ppg)

2019 (3-9): 389 (32.4 ppg)
2020 (3-7): 368 (36.8 ppg)
2021 (3-9): 402 (33.5 ppg)
2022 (5-7): 341 (28.4 ppg)

2023 (5-4): 271 (30.1 ppg)

Looks pretty OK to me - a lot better than the previous 6 seasons since he left.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Someone please remind me, why are we pooping on Ted Roof? He's had some good D's, but struggled a bit under CPJ. His D's under CPJ were as good as any CPJ had. He was DC at GA Tech for 5 seasons, from 2013-2017. Here are his points against by season:

2013 (7-6): 297 (22.8 ppg)
2014 (11-3): 360 (25.7 ppg)
2015 (3-9): 309 (25.8 ppg)
2016 (9-4): 318 (24.5 ppg)
2017 (5-6): 292 (26.5 ppg)

2018 (7-6): 381 (29.3 ppg)

2019 (3-9): 389 (32.4 ppg)
2020 (3-7): 368 (36.8 ppg)
2021 (3-9): 402 (33.5 ppg)
2022 (5-7): 341 (28.4 ppg)

2023 (5-4): 271 (30.1 ppg)

Looks pretty OK to me - a lot better than the previous 6 seasons since he left.

PPG is a horrible measure for defense. Especially, when CPJ was coach. What about PPP or YPP?

Also, comparing him to the crappy defense of the last few years is silly. No one wants that. Compare Roof to Tenuta's time at Tech

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
PPG is a horrible measure for defense. Especially, when CPJ was coach. What about PPP or YPP?

Also, comparing him to the crappy defense of the last few years is silly. No one wants that. Compare Roof to Tenuta's time at Tech
Sure, but Tenuta’s gone and is not coming back. If there’s another one out there, by all means, hire him.

Tenuta hasn’t really succeeded anywhere after GT. Today everyone is running 5 WR sets and scoring more points. Tenuta’s D’s that averaged 17 PPG, would not do that today. His best would be around 20 PPG.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Sure, but Tenuta’s gone and is not coming back. If there’s another one out there, by all means, hire him.

Tenuta hasn’t really succeeded anywhere after GT. Today everyone is running 5 WR sets and scoring more points. Tenuta’s D’s that averaged 17 PPG, would not do that today. His best would be around 20 PPG.
Best place to look is at DC with very successful defenses at G5 schools. Good track records over several years is important. Any DC can have a one off good year.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Best place to look is at DC with very successful defenses at G5 schools. Good track records over several years is important. Any DC can have a one off good year.
Sure. Looking at this years' scoring D, the top 50 cut off is 23 PPG. Most of Roof's GT D's are not much worse than that, and he'd get better talent under Key.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Sure. Looking at this years' scoring D, the top 50 cut off is 23 PPG. Most of Roof's GT D's are not much worse than that, and he'd get better talent under Key.
Just say no to Roof. 10 different school/jobs in the past 20 years. Been there and done that.

Get a proven G5 DC. Need someone hungry and that has a future not a last.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's comical how every time we need a DC, this guy's name gets forced down everybody's throat. Smh

I'll ask again. If he went to Arkansas, would yall keep wanting to hire him?

The answer is "f*ck no", but none of yall have the guts to admit it.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m having a really hard time reconciling all the No Roof talk to that Oklahoma, who — let’s face it — has a hell of lot of more to play for at the start of a season than we do, specifically selected Roof to lead the defense. Same applies to Penn State, his stint before us.

And, sure if he’s at Arkansas or Middle-wherever State perhaps he wouldn’t be mentioned here now — but he’s not at those places .. he’s at OK and got that gig out of all other candidates for some damn good reason.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

My point was not that should hire Tenuta, but to make a more relevant comparison for Roof. The other DCs under CPJ are also not coming back. Neither are we giving the job back to Thacker. Why compare Roof to anyone from Tech at this point?

Also, who cares about PPG? But since you used it, 20 PPG is a lot better than Roof.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My point was not that should hire Tenuta, but to make a more relevant comparison for Roof. The other DCs under CPJ are also not coming back. Neither are we giving the job back to Thacker. Why compare Roof to anyone from Tech at this point?

Also, who cares about PPG? But since you used it, 20 PPG is a lot better than Roof.
Yes, it is better, and we agree that Tenuta was a better DC for us. Odd that he's not been that good elsewhere. My opinion is that Gailey gave him the lion's share of 2-way talent that he recruited. It seems that Gailey believed in defense, and indeed it saved him more than one game.

Anyway, on PPD, TR in 2023 is currently ranked #28. Oddly enough, they are ranked #122 for long drives and #17/16 for medium and short drives. Maybe they've given up a lot of long explosion plays?

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That's fair. But it also makes this push to continuously have him in the conversation whenever we need a DC a comically embarrassing endeavor.
I don't understand this conclusion. Reference MusicalBuzz' response above. If it's comical, how does he keep getting hired by really good programs to be their DC?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Rules changes (holding) and offensive development (RPO) made Tenuta's approach a failure. That's the problem with comparing older results to today's results....things are simply different today.