Potential DC for Next Year

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
These are indeed great but, if I can be candid, i might plagiarize from the Steve Miller Band if I were going to annoint myself with a title. How does the "gangster of love" sound? (Others might simply refer to me as 'Maurice")

However, if I decide to apply for any vacant DC position this offseason, I might just take a variant from your ideas. Field Marshall of Field Position? Sargeant of Stops? Duke of Destruction? Prefect of Pain? Archbishop of Anarchy? Which one might catch the eye of a prospective employer? ;)
Some people might call you the space cowboy.😉

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm not an advocate for bringing Ted Roof back, but if a 20th ranked DFEI is underperforming then I'd love to be as bad as they are...
Oklahoma easily has top 10 talent in the country, and they don’t play anybody outside of Texas that can match up with them talent wise. 20th is okay for them, but definitely below what most would expect from a team with that much talent, and one of the most renowned DCs of this century as their HC. Especially when you consider teams like Louisville, Duke, Troy, Nebraska, and offensive powerhouse Oregon ranked ahead of them in DFEI.

Also, I never said they were bad. I said they were underperforming.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oklahoma easily has top 10 talent in the country, and they don’t play anybody outside of Texas that can match up with them talent wise. 20th is okay for them, but definitely below what most would expect from a team with that much talent, and one of the most renowned DCs of this century as their HC. Especially when you consider teams like Louisville, Duke, Troy, Nebraska, and offensive powerhouse Oregon ranked ahead of them in DFEI.

1699307173055.png

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I honestly feel like we should give the new DC some time. Even though we are still bad what I have seen in the last few games are

• Greatly improved tackling
  • No more trying to make the big hit and not wrapping up
  • More fundamental play. forcing the runners back inside where there is help
  • Knowing your responsibilities
  • I am seeing better D line and LB play

For those who think we should switch after a few games in my opinion that is very foolish. We are seeing rapid improvement and I would like to see where this levels off. Good coaching is so hard to find apparently. lets win more recruit better and let good coaches do their thing

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Also, I never said they were bad. I said they were underperforming.

Did you take into consideration this is only his second year there and he's moved them from 43 in his first year to 20 this year?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I honestly feel like we should give the new DC some time. Even though we are still bad what I have seen in the last few games are

• Greatly improved tackling
  • No more trying to make the big hit and not wrapping up
  • More fundamental play. forcing the runners back inside where there is help
  • Knowing your responsibilities
  • I am seeing better D line and LB play

For those who think we should switch after a few games in my opinion that is very foolish. We are seeing rapid improvement and I would like to see where this levels off. Good coaching is so hard to find apparently. lets win more recruit better and let good coaches do their thing
3 games left to prove he is worthy of the job

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did you take into consideration this is only his second year there and he's moved them from 43 in his first year to 20 this year?

Cpj allowed TR to bend bend and use time to shorten the game that gave our offense and advantage. But he got fired because at a key time late in one game he REFUSED to switch. He was running out the clock and leaving the offense w not enough time to drive the whole field.

We dont need him back.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
no to Roof - I like Sherrer but can he recruit..... We are still not a good defense. We need a good coach but also a good recruiter for defensive coordinator. We have talent issues in the front 7 and DB's are upper classmen. Don't have any idea who to get but need an upgrade.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Former Penn State defensive coordinator Ted Roof won't forget his one season in Happy Valley.

But home is home. And after the opportunity arose quickly to take the same position at his alma mater, Georgia Tech, he said he made the difficult decision to leave the Nittany Lions and return to his native Georgia.

10587128-large.jpg

Former Penn State defensive coordinator Ted Roof.

"That was a real privilege and special deal for me to be part of that football team," Roof said about the 2012 Penn State season in a phone interview Thursday with The Associated Press. He called it a special year and the team a "special group of guys."

After Roof told Nittany Lions coach Bill O'Brien he was leaving Wednesday morning, new defensive coordinator John Butler got a visit in his office from the boss.

"Billy came in and said, 'I'm going to promote you to defensive coordinator,'" said Butler, the former secondary coach, in recounting the conversation. He responded, "That's great, thanks a lot. What do you need me to do?"

"It wasn't like there was a surprise party associated with it," said Butler, known for his animated histrionics on the field during games. "You just move on."

Roof's departure seemed to catch most people around the program by surprise. Roof said the opportunity at Georgia Tech only surfaced about two days ago.

In a statement Wednesday, Georgia Tech said Roof's hiring won't become official until a background check is completed, likely next week.

Roof played for the Yellow Jackets, and was an assistant under former coach George O'Leary, as well. O'Brien was also on that Georgia Tech staff. Roof was the head coach at Duke from 2003-7, where the Blue Devils went just 6-45. O'Brien was offensive coordinator at Duke from 2005-6.

A year ago, O'Brien lured Roof to State College just weeks after Roof had taken the defensive coordinator job at Central Florida under O'Leary. He was one of O'Brien's first hires as the new coach began shepherding the Nittany Lions through the rocky aftermath of the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.

At 8-4, this season turned out to be a success for O'Brien and Roof — especially given the scrutiny around the team after the NCAA handed down its sanctions over the summer.

The Nittany Lions were already known for good defense under Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno and longtime defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, and Roof tweaked the schemes with more blitzes and different looks. Under his watch, Penn State was second in the Big Ten in scoring defense (19.1 points), first in sacks (34) and first in red-zone defense. He was also instrumental in opening up recruiting avenues in the South for Penn State, including the trail that led to backup quarterback Steven Bench, of Georgia.

Roof appeared to forge strong bonds with players, including senior linebacker Michael Mauti, during the stressful year. He said this team would be remembered "because of the heart and commitment that they showed and exhibited ... Everything that's right about college football."

Article is on black shoes diary. Ted Roof was at Penn St for one year while the poop was hitting the fan and you see how he did. We had some studs on defense but I’m telling you, we hated seeing Ted Roof leave he was getting it done as DC and you see the stats. Give Ted Roof the studs and he’s as good as anyone I’ve seen it with my own eyes brother. I copied the defensive part. I’ll always be a cheerleader for Ted Roof because he makes college football fun and he’s a dang good coach and he’s a Ga Tech man lol….just my opinion though

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had resisted getting involved in this thread but I’ll say this. Tech lacks talent on defense. We could have the best DC in the country and it would not make a big difference.

Brent Key, so far, has been a very good judge of coaching ability (Yes, I still adamantly maintain Thacker was retained due to constraints beyond Key’s control). Though this thread is the kind of theoretical discussion we tend to like we are speculating with scant data whereas Key will have first hand knowledge of whether we need a change or not. After this year, Key will be completely in charge of personnel and staff configuration and, hopefully, the requisite funding to do exactly what he wants. Key is still baking the cake and I’m not ready to take it out of the oven until it’s ready.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
True, but it's not fair for him to say he was fired when he clearly wasn't.
CPJ wasn’t feeling the love in 2017 either. Maybe CTR saw the handwriting on the wall? We’ll never know unless he tells us, and that won’t happen. GA Tech in 2017 was in transition after a uber successful QB who beat UGA 2 of his 3 seasons. For some reason, that HC felt he was on the outs at Tech and resigned. It’s history now and his name is in our ring of honor. Back on topic, I doubt Roof comes back a third time.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
CPJ wasn’t feeling the love in 2017 either. Maybe CTR saw the handwriting on the wall? We’ll never know unless he tells us, and that won’t happen. GA Tech in 2017 was in transition after a uber successful QB who beat UGA 2 of his 3 seasons. For some reason, that HC felt he was on the outs at Tech and resigned. It’s history now and his name is in our ring of honor. Back on topic, I doubt Roof comes back a third time.
I agree for some reason that Roof, not receiving any love from fans, also expected the end of Paul's career at GT was coming soon and took a graceful way out, and also doubt if he would give GT a third go.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If Roof had gone to Arkansas, none of you folks that have been pining for him for the past decade would ever want him hired here. Please stop. We've seen that movie before.

"Yeah but this time will be totally different, kg!"

Just stahhp. Please.