Potential DC for Next Year

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This thread needs to be separated into a "Roof...love him or hate him" thread.

I'm still curious as to whom else might be a good idea...besides Roof.
I think you'll need to wait until the end of the season to find that out, right? Most of the guys you'd want are currently employed.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Lets just see how it plays out with Sherrer in the next 3-4 games. Dude is interviewing for the job in real-time.
I agree. This convo needs to wait. However, since it's here, and been asked, the guy at Ohio University, Spence Nowinski, seems to have done a good job there and it his previous stop at Miami, O.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Somehow some way we need to find another defensive coordinator like Don Linsey (the black watch) if that person is on the staff or not, we need to find him.
This. I talked to him for about 20 minutes at a booster club meeting and he was very impressive and really nice guy.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
If they were to hire Roof, I’d be fine with that.
If they want to hire some hotshot up and comer, I’m fine with that.
Neither of those matter thy, because IMHO, Sherrer will be back for at least another year, and I’m fine with that (unless there’s no progress next year, then I will be on here saying we should have fired him, ‘cause no one is going to bother to go back and look up this post to prove I said I’m fine with keeping him).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m having a really hard time reconciling all the No Roof talk to that Oklahoma, who — let’s face it — has a hell of lot of more to play for at the start of a season than we do, specifically selected Roof to lead the defense. Same applies to Penn State, his stint before us.

And, sure if he’s at Arkansas or Middle-wherever State perhaps he wouldn’t be mentioned here now — but he’s not at those places .. he’s at OK and got that gig out of all other candidates for some damn good reason.
Poor decision by the HC who was also a poor choice by the AD. Okalahoma is not going to sniff the playoffs with their current coaching staff.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Let's hope we can plug some holes in LB room through the portal. The DL seems to be holding their own more and more but at the point in the season, we still need help badly at LB.

I'm hoping Tim McFarlin can get us some Frosh help with home grown talent. I believe he coached the kid, Steele Chambers, that is now a 4th yr LB at Ohio State and significant contributor there. One or two kids like that could make a big difference here with our D.

slugboy

Staff member
This thread needs to be separated into a "Roof...love him or hate him" thread.

I'm still curious as to whom else might be a good idea...besides Roof.
This thread isn’t really a “who could be our next DC?” thread as much as a venting session about our defense and fans remembering only the good or bad stuff about past defenses.

We probably have next year’s DC. He’s this year’s DC.

The yardstick is going to be real progress. Is the defense going in the right direction quickly enough? If it’s not, they’ll make a change. Key has already done that before.

We started the season unable to tackle consistently. Now, we wrap up most of the time. We started the season with a hyped secondary. Halfway into the season , they started to look like that secondary. There are still problems in winning at the line of scrimmage and hitting the right gaps.

We spent the first 5 minutes of the UVA game getting pushed all over the field. Either they lost their enthusiasm after 5 minutes or we increased our effort—either way, the defense that played the rest of the game looked good.

Our biggest weakness is the lack of havoc from the front 6. Related is the line surge from the opposing OL. Next to that, it’s not consistently getting 11 men to the ball. That’s not really a scheme issue

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Feels like it is mentioned too much.

What isn’t acknowledged enough is CPJ not being able to get the DCs he really wanted always having to shop in the bargain basement bin.
Both sides have been talked about enough, imo.

What isn’t talked about? Collins also couldn’t hire who he wanted.

It’s a GT thing. The budget is the budget. Some had it slightly better. For better or worse (hopefully better), we ended up with Key at HC because of the budget.

In other news, we are all going to die some day.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This thread isn’t really a “who could be our next DC?” thread as much as a venting session about our defense and fans remembering only the good or bad stuff about past defenses.

We probably have next year’s DC. He’s this year’s DC.

The yardstick is going to be real progress. Is the defense going in the right direction quickly enough? If it’s not, they’ll make a change. Key has already done that before.

We started the season unable to tackle consistently. Now, we wrap up most of the time. We started the season with a hyped secondary. Halfway into the season , they started to look like that secondary. There are still problems in winning at the line of scrimmage and hitting the right gaps.

We spent the first 5 minutes of the UVA game getting pushed all over the field. Either they lost their enthusiasm after 5 minutes or we increased our effort—either way, the defense that played the rest of the game looked good.

Our biggest weakness is the lack of havoc from the front 6. Related is the line surge from the opposing OL. Next to that, it’s not consistently getting 11 men to the ball. That’s not really a scheme issue
Our D was respectable last season. Not great, but respectable. Middle of the road. That D lost a crapton of talent in the offseason. This year’s D was always going to be a rough ride. We didn’t have the depth to overcome those losses, though we did to a degree through the portal. That they have made the progress you mention under Shearer is a positive, but just not enough. There are just not enough playmakers in the front 6, and there’s little depth. Shearer has brought toughness and hustle to that until, so there’s hope he can do more his second season. Barring some epic meltdown, I agree, he will be the DC next season.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Our D was respectable last season. Not great, but respectable. Middle of the road. That D lost a crapton of talent in the offseason. This year’s D was always going to be a rough ride. We didn’t have the depth to overcome those losses, though we did to a degree through the portal. That they have made the progress you mention under Shearer is a positive, but just not enough. There are just not enough playmakers in the front 6, and there’s little depth. Shearer has brought toughness and hustle to that until, so there’s hope he can do more his second season. Barring some epic meltdown, I agree, he will be the DC next season.
Plyers, players, players, NIL, NIL, NIL . Basic issue. Great players make great coaches, PERIOD !! This thread is useless.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Plyers, players, players, NIL, NIL, NIL . Basic issue. Great players make great coaches, PERIOD !! This thread is useless.
Agree with your assessment, but the point of the forum is discussion, right. At the bottom line, it’s all pretty useless since none of us are on speed dial with the GTAA. I agree totally with your main point, it about Jimmy’s and Joe’s.