Postseason Chances?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm definitely an Izzo fan. Think he's one of the best coaches around. Wicked sense of humor, too. That said, this is not an NCAAT team this year. If they get in, it will be on SOS (though mostly losses against good teams) and reputation / brand name
I had a "discussion" with a State fan about this last nite at a local sports bar. I told him the only thing that gets them in is there SOS and name. The haven't beaten anyone but have played a brutal OOC schedule with zero big wins to show for it. In B10 play there best win came at home to an average Michigan team who turned around and beat them by 30 a week later. Only significant road win is at Minnesota. They finish at home vs Nebraska and Wisconsin and then back to road haves at Illinois and Maryland. That should put them at 18-13/10-8. Record wise that's good enough in a weak B10 but I can't see them getting past the first day in the NCAAT

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nothing has changed. We still need to win at home and try to grab a game on the road. I think we still need to win one, maybe two games to make the NIT, so this is not a done deal.

Deleted member 2897

With the win yesterday, we are guaranteed to finish at least at 0.500. Just think about that compared to say, October expectations. 2 more weeks to glory, Go Tech!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With the win yesterday, we are guaranteed to finish at least at 0.500. Just think about that compared to say, October expectations. 2 more weeks to glory, Go Tech!

Actually, no worse than 1 game under .500, including post season play. I looked at the same thing last night.

Doesn't matter though. It's been a great season!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So brackets are starting to update - gives you a sense of how tight this is.

CBSSports (Palm) - First team out
ESPN (Lunardi) - Last team in
USA Today - 2nd team out
Bracketmatric - last team in
Dancecard - 2nd to last team in

Bracket Matrix hasn't updated yet, but we will certainly be in either last four in or out.

3-1 in the last 4 gets a bid imo.

Tomorrow is a big game. Can't have a let down on short rest.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, if we go .500 in the league (assuming we win the rest of our home games and lose the rest of our road games), we'll need a win and maybe two in the ACC tourney to feel comfortable. The bad losses out of conference kill us in that scenario and we'd be hoping that there aren't any major upsets in the conference championships with non-tourney teams going on a run and getting the automatic bid.

To feel really comfortable, we'd need to go over .500 in the league. I don't think we're going to beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, but I could be wrong. I don't feel like we snuck up on them like we did with some of the other good teams on our schedule. Notre Dame won't be easy either. They'll have revenge on their minds and will have adjusted their game plan. If we beat Cuse, we'd have beaten a team we may be competing with for a bid twice. If we beat Notre Dame, that's another signature victory, on the road, against a top-25 team. We've shown we're a tough team at home, but we need a good conference win on the road.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
So brackets are starting to update - gives you a sense of how tight this is.

CBSSports (Palm) - First team out
ESPN (Lunardi) - Last team in
USA Today - 2nd team out
Bracketmatric - last team in
Dancecard - 2nd to last team in

Bracket Matrix hasn't updated yet, but we will certainly be in either last four in or out.

3-1 in the last 4 gets a bid imo.

Tomorrow is a big game. Can't have a let down on short rest.[/QUOTE
How many wins in Brooklyn do you feel it'll take if we finish 9-9? I'd hate to have our bid being decided on a tough draw in the ACCT. 10-8 should lock it in regardless what we do in the ACCT.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm wondering if the NIT isn't the best finish for this team this season. Of course I want to see us make it to the dance, maybe more than anything since we haven't been there in so long. But our NIT chances of advancing are better and more post season play would help these guys down the road. Either way this is an accomplishment no one expected and I hope CJP gets ACC coach of the year.

I agree. If we could play the tourney at home, we'd have a chance. But I think our road record could be the determining factor in us not being selected ...... if I were selecting for any sport, the likelihood of advancing in a tournament would be a key factor.

That said, I think if we beat @ND and @ Syracuse, I think we go to the NCAAs.

I'm ecstatic about us having a respectable season. In my opinion, playing deep in the NIT will give us more momentum than getting bounced early in the NCAA. Either way, we are playing with house money.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Noticed a weird trend with Syracuse and Notre Dame games down the stretch (they only have 3 games left, vs. 4 for tech)

Before last night's game, Syracuse had 6 days off
Before the game @ND, Notre Dame has 7 days off
Before the game @Syracuse, Syracuse has 5 days off.

Meanwhile Tech plays a midweek game each week before those games.

Does staying fresh and active help the defense or would they rather have the extra rest? Based on the Tusculum game, it seems that Pastner likes midweek games so maybe this an advantage.