Postseason Chances?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
SI has GT third from last in.

I'm with BDB and have been for weeks, just keep counting wins at losses, at this point go 3-1 the rest of the regular season and I think the odds are high of a bid regardless of ACC Tourney. 2-2 and you need at least 1 win possibly 2 in ACC, less than that and you likely have to win the tourney.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing to remember is that the committee won't be counting the Tusculum game. RPI is going to be more important than wins and losses. It matters where these wins come from and how those teams GT beats (or loses to) do in their remaining games.

3-1 will most likely do it depending on how else it shakes out.

Something else interesting to keep in mind. Tech is currently #10 in ACC. If season ended today they would play BC in first round followed by Miami -> Lou.

While BC would be an easy win it wouldn't be a good win. And a loss vs. Miami wouldn't be a great loss.

Instead as a 8-9 seed Tech would play VT / Cuse / Miami giving them an opportunity to knock off a bubble/tourney team before playing UNC. The UNC game would be RPI boosting no matter the result.

Plus the 8-9 game has an added day of rest.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
A win against BC + a loss against Miami is far better than a loss against Miami in the ACC Tournament.
A win against BC and a win against Miami is also far better than a win against Miami. 0-1 in the ACCT is 0-1 regardless of who you play. I'll take 1-1 any day.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Another thing to notice is how our opponents have done from an RPI standpoint. Our OOC schedule was still padded with a bunch of 151+ wins (like 7 or 8) and our worst loss to Ohio is a loss to the 101-150 RPI, but Ohio is closing in on being a top 100 RPI team which pushes it into a 51-100 RPI loss (lot better).

Granted BC is like over 200 RPI... literally terrible for an ACC team.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Dance or NIT?
NIT. Went to two games in person, Tulane and NC A&T. JO was impressive against Tulane but we didnt score for the first five minutes against A&T, amd tneeded Kellen McKormick to hit 4 threes at the end to win it. Seemed like getting lammers in foul trouble made us an average MEAC team. So if ACC teams would attack him, we were in trouble.

Neither left me thinking there were 9 ACC wins for us, but wow.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...-big-ten-pac-12-sec?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Finally, we come to the three most confounding teams in the ACC. Let’s start with Georgia Tech (16–11, 7–7), the only one of the three in the field in this week’s Bracket Watch. The Yellow Jackets had a split week, losing at Miami and beating Syracuse at home. They’re now 4–7 against the RPI top 50, and 6–10 against the top 100. Those numbers don’t scream “at-large bid,” especially when they’re paired with an RPI of 73 and a kenpom.com ranking of 76. But then you look at the names of the teams on the left side of the Yellow Jackets’ ledger and you see North Carolina, Florida State, Notre Dame and VCU, all four of which are ranked 26th or better in the RPI. The Tar Heels and Seminoles are top-12 teams in the RPI. In short, Georgia Tech owns the sort of wins that will allow the committee to overlook its bad RPI and kenpom.com ranking, as well as, for now, 11 losses. If the Yellow Jackets can go 3–1 in their four remaining regular season games and avoid a bad loss in the ACC tournament, they should go dancing. They host N.C. State and visit Notre Dame this week.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is ESPN's bubble watch to go along with the SI bubble watch from above.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Georgia Tech [16-11 (7-7), RPI: 73, SOS: 52] Josh Pastner's exile from Memphis could have been a quiet, unheralded rebuilding year, if not worse. Instead, he might just be headed to the NCAA tournament. Saturday's win over Syracuse was the latest mini-surprise of a very surprising Yellow Jackets season and added a win over a fellow bubble team to a resume that already includes victories over UNC, FSU, Notre Dame and VCU (at VCU). Georgia Tech is as bubbly as it gets at this point, but that's a huge improvement over preseason expectations -- Pastner's presumably included.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...-big-ten-pac-12-sec?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Finally, we come to the three most confounding teams in the ACC. Let’s start with Georgia Tech (16–11, 7–7), the only one of the three in the field in this week’s Bracket Watch. The Yellow Jackets had a split week, losing at Miami and beating Syracuse at home. They’re now 4–7 against the RPI top 50, and 6–10 against the top 100. Those numbers don’t scream “at-large bid,” especially when they’re paired with an RPI of 73 and a kenpom.com ranking of 76. But then you look at the names of the teams on the left side of the Yellow Jackets’ ledger and you see North Carolina, Florida State, Notre Dame and VCU, all four of which are ranked 26th or better in the RPI. The Tar Heels and Seminoles are top-12 teams in the RPI. In short, Georgia Tech owns the sort of wins that will allow the committee to overlook its bad RPI and kenpom.com ranking, as well as, for now, 11 losses. If the Yellow Jackets can go 3–1 in their four remaining regular season games and avoid a bad loss in the ACC tournament, they should go dancing. They host N.C. State and visit Notre Dame this week.
The SI analysis is a little shallow for my liking.

Comparing Syracuse, who they like, vs. Georgia Tech, who they find "confounding".
  • Syracuse's 5-6 vs. the RPI top 50 is not significantly better than GT's 4-7.
  • Syracuse has a worse RPI (86) than GT. It would be the worst ever for an at-large.
  • Best wins
    • GT.... UNC, FSU, ND, @VCU
    • Syracuse.... UVA, FSU, Miami, @Clemson.... I'm considering @Clemson more significant than top 50 wins vs. Wake and Monmouth

Advantage GT.

I don't think Sunday's result differentiates the two teams, particularly because guess what, #86 RPI Syracuse isn't a great win for GT. o_O The middle of the ACC is a cess-pool of wins against each other anyway (and I expect Syracuse to win the return game vs. GT in a couple weeks, thus diluting the direct comparison).

A lot can happen the next few weeks. Syracuse could knock off Duke at home tomorrow and weaken the resume argument.

Right now on paper GT is, at worst, even with Syracuse in my book.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd agree with you on the comparison of Syracuse and GT as of right now. I'd argue GT's is slightly superior right now - you didn't even mention a couple of Syracuse's big losses.

I'll also add that Ohio is slowly working back toward the Top 100, that would help us if they could get back inside of that.

One item that is hurting GT right now, Both BC and Wofford have just slipped below 200, making GT 8-11 against the Top 200 instead of 10-11.