#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I start to feel bad for Key because this was the game he couldn’t lose. Then when Sims went out, Tech never had a chance. But, then I think about how flat we looked when Sims was still out there, and I don’t feel as bad.

JacketFan137

Banned
How did he go to the next level? The terrible recycle machine of the NFL??
as a ravens fan, we have the absolute worst WRs in the nfl and it’s been that way for well over a decade. the bar for wr coach is 6 feet under ground at this point. if you know how many yards are on a football field you are probably deemed ok for the job

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I start to feel bad for Key because this was the game he couldn’t lose. Then when Sims went out, Tech never had a chance. But, then I think about how flat we looked when Sims was still out there, and I don’t feel as bad.
Simms didn’t look right from the first snap. It did prove he does lead the offense literally

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand this. We are talent shy on offense, particularly without Sims.

But the players play hard. People are in the right place. The play calls make sense. The strategy makes sense. The sideline decisions are solid. The ST have been cleaned up.

What I'm saying is the coaches are doing a good job with what they have. We look competent for 3 games in a row, which was at least a season's worth for the prior HC.

Tonight's game reminded me of a couple of the early games in O'Leary's regime. We lost, but you could see the coaches were coaching well but we were missing key pieces. That's what I see here. There's nothing that says Key and Co. aren't doing a good job of pulling this thing as far out of the ditch as humanly possible.
Sorry, could not disagree more. The strategy makes no sense. Running Dontae (and running him well), then completely abandoning him makes no sense. Repeatedly calling slow developing pass plays for a QB who is slow as molasses and gun shy behind an OL that is essentially a turnstile makes no sense. The ST HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED UP. We literally missed a PAT, had ANOTHER!!! punt blocked, and hit several more low line drive punts which were returned for 10+ yards after being abused on punt coverage last game.

To your next point, in no way did we look competent tonight. In no way. What I watched was one of the most poorly played games of football I have ever seen by two teams that are in the bottom of the barrel of the ACC. Complete incompetence on both sides highlighted by countless miscues. Wide open drops, missed blocks, senseless penalties, poorly thrown balls by both teams. Truly one of the more comical games to watch in recent memory because of how inept both teams were tonight. An average to above average team beats either GT or UVA tonight by 3+ scores.

I like Key and love his passion for the Institute but he is simply not the answer long term. Long is not good either. We need to cut ourselves off from any remnants of the Collins era and go clean. Your post reads like something for the 2019 team; this isn't year 1 anymore and our roster is almost completely turned over. If players are playing hard and in the right place and the coaches are doing a "good job with what they have", why did we lay an absolute egg under the lights in prime time against one of the worst teams in P5?? Are we that devoid of talent?? The answer is no we're not, there is clearly some talent on this roster that is being badly mismanaged.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
as a ravens fan, we have the absolute worst WRs in the nfl and it’s been that way for well over a decade. the bar for wr coach is 6 feet under ground at this point. if you know how many yards are on a football field you are probably deemed ok for the job
Guess that is how you lose 6 straight double digit leads... that’s gross

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty good crowd tonight, enjoyed watching the student support and connection with the players. We’ve wished for a good defense forever, we now have one.
Gibson wasn’t ready to deal with game pressure, nor mobile enough to survive our shaky OL. Interesting to see how success at a lower level (Akron) doesn’t translate up to next level easily, even against a bad P5 team like UVA. I’m not going to dig up stats, but Sims was either our #1 or 2 runner this year, huge loss. Will be interesting to see how the playbook gets tweaked to accommodate Gibson’s skill set. Or maybe we’ll get lucky and Sims is ok (I haven’t heard a solid update).

JacketFan137

Banned
Guess that is how you lose 6 straight double digit leads... that’s gross
yep. we have one WR who would be rostered on other NFL teams and i truly mean that. don’t know if most of our guys would even make the 3 deep.

ravens football has a lot of dysfunction and is very similar to tech. offense is just pray lamar makes a play, and understanding any success is likely in spite of our gm and oc. eerily similar to tech football just with a better qb.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I could write a nice novel about the horrible recruiting by Collins. He was not a good recruiter.
I'd love to read that because man it just looked like we were going after ratings rather than any evaluation of talent. I've seen classes ranked half of what Collins classes were that looked like it had twice the D1 talent even from guys that weren't seeing the field.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Here y'all go.

QB bad evaluations:
Taisun Phommachanh: Had a pretty bad injury at Clemson, came in without playing football for 6-8 months, not a good or capable passer. Just overall bad.
Zach Gibson: Not a fit for the spread style offense, couldn’t start at Akron. Should have never taken a kid that didn’t fit your offense. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

AJ Swann: Offered way too late in the process. Swann wanted a tech offer all along and would have signed with tech if he had gotten the offer earlier on. Swann had some ties to the school with family members and was an extremely smart kid. Tech screwed Tech here and had Swann in the bag all along but managed to **** it up.

MJ Morris: Tech went all in on Morris as their QB for the 2022 class without a real backup plan. Morris was very very close to committing on multiple occasions which is why Tech hadn’t offered Swann at the time since they were under the impression they were getting MJ. After a while, Tech dropped Morris off of their board and quickly offered Swann but it was way too late. Conclusion: Tech waited too long on Morris, was letting MJ have all of the leverage in the situation and as a result, Swann got offered late which resulted in them not getting Swann.

If Tech had dropped Morris earlier on instead of waiting on him with no real backup plan, then AJ Swann is on this roster. Swann was expected to Commit during the big recruiting weekend during the 2021 summer but didn’t.

They got extremely lucky with Pyron. Pyron wanted to stay closer to home which is the reason for backing off his pledge to Baylor. Tech quickly offered Pyron 3 days after his decommit from Baylor. From March to October, it was a dry period on Tech and HS Qb’s. They got lucky Pyron fell into their laps and almost lost him to Alabama on signing day.

Tevin Carter: Before Zach Pyron, Tech was going after Tevin Carter. Tech was going to get Carter but due to some dream about his dead grandpa, he didn’t end up publically announcing his commitment to Georgia Tech.

Chayden Peery: This never made any sense from the start. This for some reason was Patenaude’s #1 QB target of the class. Never made any sense due to him being a west coast guy, underwhelming offer list and not playing a senior season.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Here y'all go.

QB bad evaluations:
Taisun Phommachanh: Had a pretty bad injury at Clemson, came in without playing football for 6-8 months, not a good or capable passer. Just overall bad.
Zach Gibson: Not a fit for the spread style offense, couldn’t start at Akron. Should have never taken a kid that didn’t fit your offense. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

AJ Swann: Offered way too late in the process. Swann wanted a tech offer all along and would have signed with tech if he had gotten the offer earlier on. Swann had some ties to the school with family members and was an extremely smart kid. Tech screwed Tech here and had Swann in the bag all along but managed to **** it up.

MJ Morris: Tech went all in on Morris as their QB for the 2022 class without a real backup plan. Morris was very very close to committing on multiple occasions which is why Tech hadn’t offered Swann at the time since they were under the impression they were getting MJ. After a while, Tech dropped Morris off of their board and quickly offered Swann but it was way too late. Conclusion: Tech waited too long on Morris, was letting MJ have all of the leverage in the situation and as a result, Swann got offered late which resulted in them not getting Swann.

If Tech had dropped Morris earlier on instead of waiting on him with no real backup plan, then AJ Swann is on this roster. Swann was expected to Commit during the big recruiting weekend during the 2021 summer but didn’t.

They got extremely lucky with Pyron. Pyron wanted to stay closer to home which is the reason for backing off his pledge to Baylor. Tech quickly offered Pyron 3 days after his decommit from Baylor. From March to October, it was a dry period on Tech and HS Qb’s. They got lucky Pyron fell into their laps and almost lost him to Alabama on signing day.

Tevin Carter: Before Zach Pyron, Tech was going after Tevin Carter. Tech was going to get Carter but due to some dream about his dead grandpa, he didn’t end up publically announcing his commitment to Georgia Tech.

Chayden Peery: This never made any sense from the start. This for some reason was Patenaude’s #1 QB target of the class. Never made any sense due to him being a west coast guy, underwhelming offer list and not playing a senior season.
Here y'all go.

QB bad evaluations:

so,.long story short...
we are screwed