#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I actually wanted to somewhat give Gibson the benefit of the doubt. We wouldn't let him play at all before this game. He lead our only scoring drive on offense. He showed some fire and grit in the process. He caught fire a bit at the end. But running out of bounds on the final play? Nah. Can't have that. Give the other guy a shot if Sims can't go. If he sucks too then find a walkon. We are screwed at that point anyways.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Cinderella Story: Denied.

Backup qb comes in with 2 snaps on offense even though we lost two blowouts. Deer in headlights. Took 7+ sacks, some almost untouched; some after holding the ball for 6 seconds. Made bad throws. His decent throws were dropped. Not ready, and that’s on the staff, both previous and current. Clamped on a bad zone read and gave them the ball on the 6. At one point was 0-11 in a row. Tough game, and if Jeff is unavailable for a while he’s got a long way to go.

Unable to run the ball without a 220 lb mini Vince young at QB. Throw long high difficulty passes in third down and short because we can’t run the ball. The reason that works is because the defense mostly thinks you will run. We do not have that element of surprise.

Hats off to the defense. Our offense had negative yardage until the last drive for the second half. The fact it ended one score down INCLUDING a D score on our side is ridiculous, and a testament to the game they played. Uva isn’t good on offense but to face that many short fields and give up 3 points is amazing. I wish coach Thack luck at his next stop. Stay away from GC young man, I think youre ready to go your own way.

The focus should be on getting better for next week for the team, and getting Gibson game ready or finding out if Pyron or Taisun want to play. Hopefully short term for Jeff, but you have to plan for it to be longer.

J Batt and Co. can now focus on external candidates and find us the best coach we can get.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How did we look competent tonight? Hell, even last week we didn't look impressive when you don't overlook the fact that Duke is not a good team either.

Also, why are we pretending like a great many of the coaches you are defending were on the same staff that looked incompetent the last 3 years? Key didn't just start coaching against Pitt, or if he did then it's an even bigger black eye for him.

People really need to stop deluding themselves into thinking Collins was the only problem and was just holding back an otherwise good staff.

I can't tell you why getting rid of Collins has lifted the program, but it obviously has. The team appears competent now, unlike the last 3.4 years. Maybe, just maybe, Collins' schtick was that big of a detriment.

The product on the field now is infinitely better than it was a month ago. The only maddening thing tonight was the QB play. A month ago, we were incompetent at almost everything. Punt blocks. Missed kicks. Bizarre decisions from the sidelines. Heck, we got our butts kicked in our own press conferences because the Coach couldn't provide a cogent answer to any question beyond "What's your name?"

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah it wasn’t just the final play for the QB. Kid went down like Halloween came early and some spooky night time wind blew him over for sacks with everyone else around him going untouched.

Then on top of all of this it’s like he was scared ishlist and just wanted to get back to his dorm on the final play. So he just ran out the few seconds left and walked off the field.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not as down on the coaches including Key as some of you seem to be, At some point your players on offense have to make plays. #6 #1 #20 #7 all played great and some others - #32 #8 also played well. #6 run defense and even covering the wheel route as a DL was outstanding -great game

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I am done with Chip Long. I know we had Gibbs but if anyone thinks he is an improvement over P-node, you are just wrong. We at least moved the ball with our back up then. Also, why did we abandon the run? I know it was not really working all that well but you gotta take some pressure off of Gibson. I felt like every play was either: 1. Ball in dirt 2. Noodle arm air ball on deep pass or 3. self sack. just embarassing. Long didn't even try to call plays to help him until late in the 4th. No screens, no runs, no options, nothing.

Also, Long is supposed to incorporate tight ends more with the offense. Watching our tight ends play gives me a tight end.... it is horrible!

Great showing by the D. I just wish that the offense helped them some.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Long did nothing to help the offense win. Should have run short passes and let Dontae run the ball more.

I saw much of it differently. I thought we got largely stuffed in the running game and needed to throw the ball. The dropped (?) screen that was wide open was a brilliant setup. The dropped 4th down ball was well executed right until the drop. There was a well thrown ball 30-40 yards downfield that was well called and well executed, but the DB interfered with our WR badly. I thought Long did well, but between the field position, the leaky OL, and a jinxed QB (pressure, missed throws, dropped throws) we just couldn't move it for much of the 2nd half.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What gets me here is that when you have a backup QB who hasn't played much, the solution is easy: you put in a heap of plays where he can run the ball. Ok, Gibson isn't all that quick. But you could see that he's tough. I would have QB swept and double optioned them to death tonight or at least tried to. The other plus is that you don't lose yards by sacks. I kept thinking of Oliver taking over at VT; why mystify your no.2 with a complex offensive role?

I'm pretty sure this might have worked. Gibson isn't quick, by any means. He is tough, again, and all that we would ask is 3 - 4 yards a pop. It would also have slowed down the rush.

It is too bad that such a great D effort should go to waste. Let's hope we can get Sims back before our next contest.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What gets me here is that when you have a backup QB who hasn't played much, the solution is easy: you put in a heap of plays where he can run the ball. Ok, Gibson isn't all that quick. But you could see that he's tough. I would have QB swept and double optioned them to death tonight or at least tried to. The other plus is that you don't lose yards by sacks. I kept thinking of Oliver taking over at VT; why mystify your no.2 with a complex offensive role?

I'm pretty sure this would have worked. Gibson isn't quick, by any means. He is tough, again, and all that we would ask is 3 - 4 yards a pop. It would also have slowed down the rush.

It is too bad that such a great D effort should go to waste. Let's hope we can get Sims back before our next contest.
If you wanted to run the ball, the 3rd string QB is probably the guy. But I think it is tough to run or throw when your OL is as leaky as a busted condom.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Posted on another board and I stand by this:

Honestly...

I enrolled at Tech in the summer of 1977 after living in Saudi Arabia due to my Dad's job. I was a massive college sports fan. We were transferred out of central Ohio/Ohio State country to Dhahran Saudi Arabia when I was 16 and me finishing high school in Bahrain and Austria. I had my choice nationwide and chose Tech over UCLA, Ohio State, Purdue, and several other really good schools. Returning to the states for college, I was fully bought in to my new chosen college. I excelled in the classroom and passionately supported all our sports teams at all home games in person at AMC and Grant Field, and as many baseball and lacrosse and women's sports as I had time to spare from studying. I lived through the 1-9-1 and 1-10 years later but still had a blast rooting for the Ramblin' Wreck with my Techwood Dorm brothers when our expectations were hopefully winning a few games.

But even considering those years, tonight is one of the worst exhibitions of college football from both sides I have ever seen.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I can't tell you why getting rid of Collins has lifted the program, but it obviously has. The team appears competent now, unlike the last 3.4 years. Maybe, just maybe, Collins' schtick was that big of a detriment.

The product on the field now is infinitely better than it was a month ago. The only maddening thing tonight was the QB play. A month ago, we were incompetent at almost everything. Punt blocks. Missed kicks. Bizarre decisions from the sidelines. Heck, we got our butts kicked in our own press conferences because the Coach couldn't provide a cogent answer to any question beyond "What's your name?"

What have you been watching?

Against Duke we had the worst game of the season in terms of penalties. We allowed two big punt returns and had key penalties extending opponents drives nearly costing us the game. We had issues converting in the redzone. We were super conservative offensively at the end of the half, and then again in the fourth trying to limp to a victory. It's not that the product was better. It's that our opponent was worse. Duke went 0-8 in conference last year, and were/are paper tigers this year beating up on a terrible UVA team then 3 complete cupcakes.

Tonight was a complete mess. The OL was terrible. Key penalties again. A missed extra point. A punt blocked, although it took a lucky bounce for us. UVA did everything to hand us the game and we just refused to take it against what might have been considered the worst team in the conference before tonight. This was the worst performance of the year. The idea that the only thing maddening tonight was QB play is a joke.

The Pitt game was great but it was a fluke. Just like UNC was last year. Otherwise we've looked like the same team before and after firing Collins which makes sense. Coaching isn't a single person thing. Mostly the same staff so mostly the same play.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I'm pretty sure this might have worked. Gibson isn't quick, by any means. He is tough, again, and all that we would ask is 3 - 4 yards a pop. It would also have slowed down the rush.

I for one am shocked your solution is to run the QB and run option.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
If you wanted to run the ball, the 3rd string QB is probably the guy. But I think it is tough to run or throw when your OL is as leaky as a busted condom.
This right here...when Gibson sacked himself for the fifty billionth time, why not put Taisun in and at least have a running quarterback threat? How bad does Taisun have to be to not see the field in that **** show tonight? Dude was a 4 star that earned a scholarship to Clemson and you're telling me he is worse than what I saw tonight?!?!?!