#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

JacketBacker

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe I’m wrong - regarding Gibson and the last play of the game, surely he thought he could get out of bounds before the clock expired, yes?? There’s no way he simply gives up in that situation, right? I have to believe he thought he would get one more play.

JacketFan137

Banned
Maybe I’m wrong - regarding Gibson and the last play of the game, surely he thought he could get out of bounds before the clock expired, yes?? There’s no way he simply gives up in that situation, right? I have to believe he thought he would get one more play.
yeah it was not a question of effort or being scared. more just a lack of awareness for the clock. stupid, not cowardly

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t think Sims was great in his quarter and a half but I do think he strings together enough momentum on a few drives to win this game if healthy. And then this board is going gaga over our interim head coach going 3-0.

Speaking of momentum, Gibson gets us to 3rd and 2 in UVA territory late and we run a 3 step dropback rather than 1 or 2 run plays to move the chains. Bizarre call, don’t know if we get the TD and nail the 2 pt conversion but that sack took whatever little wind was still in our sails.

The injury to Sims really sucks. I do think this team has a solid shot at the Coastal title with this absolutely swarming defense we’ve seen since the UCF game paired with a healthy Sims. Do they beat Clemson in Charlotte? I’m not sure but I wouldn’t have minded the 60 minute stab at it.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
We sure know how to kill momentum. We finally get some positive movement in the program, win some games, get talked about on the radio, national writers taking about us, then lay the fattest possible egg in the world.

I feel for Key, but I'm afraid that seals his chances at the job. It's back to reading head coaching rumors for now

JacketFan137

Banned
I can't tell you why getting rid of Collins has lifted the program, but it obviously has. The team appears competent now, unlike the last 3.4 years. Maybe, just maybe, Collins' schtick was that big of a detriment.

The product on the field now is infinitely better than it was a month ago. The only maddening thing tonight was the QB play. A month ago, we were incompetent at almost everything. Punt blocks. Missed kicks. Bizarre decisions from the sidelines. Heck, we got our butts kicked in our own press conferences because the Coach couldn't provide a cogent answer to any question beyond "What's your name?"
tonight the product was not better and anyone who believes that is kidding themselves and just holding over resentment for collins. the defense looked competent but a lot of the same issues showed themselves.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
1. This should end the silliness of Brent Key being the next head coach. Next to CGC, Key and his OL are the big reason GT is where it is.
2. If Jeff Sims were to be out the rest of the year, GT will not score another offensive TD.
3. GT must get a coach who brings in a “unique” offense which does not repulse high school recruits.
4. The ACC refs are complete and utter a**clowns. The ACC would be much better off firing every one of them and letting the guys in the broadcast booth call the games.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Just going to share what I know and have been told.
Sims situation: Sims played hurt, was thought to be able to play through it but would have some limitations such as running the ball. Sims tried to come back into the game on his own, trainer walked up to him and told him he was done for the night, sims slammed his helmet when he was told he was done. Sims tried coming back in again after that but the staff took his helmet and pads away.
Gibson: He can’t run this offense, he’s a passing QB that’s a negative runner which in result gives you what you saw tonight. He can not run the spread option at all. Gibson was another bad evaluation by Collins, you could clearly see he wasn’t a spread offense QB.
Taisun Phommachanh: He sucks. He was once again another bad evaluation by Collins. I’ve seen him in practice (pre Collins firing) and he’s just straight up bad. He was the 2nd horrible evaluation at QB by Collins in 1 recruiting class which you can’t afford at all. I do know he had a pretty serious injury while at Clemson and hasn’t played for a while.
Zach Pyron: Staff wants to maintain his redshirt and knows he can’t be thrown into the fire with our OL situation. He is now QB3.
QB depth chart from what I’ve been told:
Sims
Gibson
Pyron
Phommachanh
There’s so many things I could say about the QB room and how it’s gone down over the years.

JacketFan137

Banned
Just going to share what I know and have been told.
Sims situation: Sims played hurt, was thought to be able to play through it but would have some limitations such as running the ball. Sims tried to come back into the game on his own, trainer walked up to him and told him he was done for the night, sims slammed his helmet when he was told he was done. Sims tried coming back in again after that but the staff took his helmet and pads away.
Gibson: He can’t run this offense, he’s a passing QB that’s a negative runner which in result gives you what you saw tonight. He can not run the spread option at all. Gibson was another bad evaluation by Collins, you could clearly see he wasn’t a spread offense QB.
Taisun Phommachanh: He sucks. He was once again another bad evaluation by Collins. I’ve seen him in practice (pre Collins firing) and he’s just straight up bad. He was the 2nd horrible evaluation at QB by Collins in 1 recruiting class which you can’t afford at all. I do know he had a pretty serious injury while at Clemson and hasn’t played for a while.
Zach Pyron: Staff wants to maintain his redshirt and knows he can’t be thrown into the fire with our OL situation. He is now QB3.
QB depth chart from what I’ve been told:
Sims
Gibson
Pyron
Phommachanh
There’s so many things I could say about the QB room and how it’s gone down over the years.
this doesn’t surprise me and lines up with everything i’ve heard from practice. sims was far and away the qb1 and the comments here asking for someone else or asking for sims to sit a series or 2 were very wishful thinking from people that had issues with sims/felt like collins was playing him because he was “his guy”

gibson and taisun just never looked like starting qbs in practice and it is what it is.

pyron red shirt makes sense and frankly idk what we get out of just throwing him out there when he’s probably not ready either.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The team was running on high after Collins was let go. That led to a win at Pitt. Then they carried energy into Duke that faltered in the fourth quarter. It was complete gone today. Never as good or as bad as it seems (I guess?). Basically we aren’t that much different than we thought. Sucks, but IIWIII

JacketFan137

Banned
The team was running on high after Collins was let go. That led to a win at Pitt. Then they carried energy into Duke that faltered in the fourth quarter. It was complete gone today. Never as good or as bad as it seems (I guess?). Basically we aren’t that much different than we thought. Sucks, but IIWIII
i will say it is a bit unfair to compare the team from duke and pitt vs tonight. gibson is frankly the worst qb we’ve seen at tech in decades and was a massive drop down from sims. any other position and it’s not THAT big of a talking point but a qb injury is a different ball of wax

we aren’t as good as some may have thought. i think a large portion of key’s hype was basically built on “at least he isn’t collins”. if sims is hurt long term and key can pull together something the rest of the season i’ll be ok with him but that seems like a tall task

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Outside of the first scripted drive, our offense had no clue. Did we ever attempt to run a stretch play? A bye week, and we have no offensive game plan. Our route trees are mostly one big longshot. Then the receivers never come back for the ball. What is number 5 doing on the punt team? It was so bad, I am not upset at all? For whatever it is worth that officiating crew is just flat incompetent. After every call, they just looked at each other wandering what to do? They never signaled anything. Whoever from the ACC that grades the officials ought to be fired if they let this bunch call another game.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Outside of the first scripted drive, our offense had no clue. Did we ever attempt to run a stretch play? A bye week, and we have no offensive game plan. Our route trees are mostly one big longshot. Then the receivers never come back for the ball. What is number 5 doing on the punt team? It was so bad, I am not upset at all? For whatever it is worth that officiating crew is just flat incompetent. After every call, they just looked at each other wandering what to do? They never signaled anything. Whoever from the ACC that grades the officials ought to be fired if they let this bunch call another game.
Wasn’t this the same group from the Duke game.???? The R definitely was

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Just drop a story a day.

I think his WR recruits other than McCollum have been suspect.
The receivers are finally taking that next step under Del Alexander. Dixon was absolutely horrible at his job and it’s showing. Dixon botched everything to do with the receivers.