#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
i will say it is a bit unfair to compare the team from duke and pitt vs tonight. gibson is frankly the worst qb we’ve seen at tech in decades and was a massive drop down from sims. any other position and it’s not THAT big of a talking point but a qb injury is a different ball of wax
To me, Gibson looked like a square peg that we were desperately trying to force into a round hole. And the hole was way too big. He doesn't look suited to the plays that were called. Our OL sucks, which makes any play called look bad. Losing Sims just amplifies this. I hope everyone can appreciate Sims even more now...

That said, it's hard to understand some of the play calling. This is especially true on third and short. I understand that the poor blocking really limits what you can do, but wow. Running so much play action wasn't fooling anyone and simply gave the D more time to pressure the QB. I dunno...Long clearly isn't the answer.

Hats off to the D. They played well again today and deserved a W.

slugboy

Staff member
Sims was our most effective runner. Dontae was second, but not by much
Rush attemptsYPPEPA/PEPASRWPA
Jeff Sims2 carries, 6 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)3.000.501.0050%3.0%
Malik Rutherford1 carry, 4 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)4.00-0.06-0.060%0.0%
Dontae Smith9 carries, 33 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)3.67-0.07-0.6433%2.0%
Zach Gibson5 carries, 20 yds, 0 TD, 1 Fum (1 lost)4.00-0.27-1.3360%-6.0%
Hassan Hall12 carries, 47 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)3.92-0.32-3.8025%1.0%

In the passing game, it was a question of who did less damage:
Stat lineYards/playEPA/playEPASRWPA
Dropbacks
Jeff Sims6/11, 47 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Sck, 43.3 xQBR, 0.06 DETMER3.92-0.77-9.2333%-16.0%
Zach Gibson10/25, 99 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 7 Scks, 37.1 xQBR, 0.00 DETMER3.09-0.60-19.0828%-67.0%

For UVA, Wicks was the only player who seemed to make a positive contribution to the game. Armstrong was better on the ground than through the air.

We were bailed out multiple times by UVA dropping catchable passes (and vice versa).

Here are all the scoring plays. One of the UVA TD’s was Armstrong running for it, and the other was Wicks running for 44 yards. Ironically, UVA won this game the way some of us wanted to win the game—with the QB running the ball.

TimeOffensePlay DescriptionEPAWP%WPA
Q1 6:51UVA (GT Score)(2nd & 7 at UVA 23) Brennan Armstrong pass intercepted for a TD LaMiles Brooks return for 37 yds for a TD, (Gavin Stewart PAT MISSED) - UVA 0, GT 6-6.3043.3%-16.6%
Q1 2:01UVA(3rd & Goal at GT 1) Brennan Armstrong run for 1 yd for a TD, (Will Bettridge KICK) - UVA 7, GT 61.0944.7%8.8%
Q2 7:24UVA(1st & 10 at GT 44) Brennan Armstrong pass complete to Dontayvion Wicks for 44 yds for a TD, (Will Bettridge PAT MISSED) - UVA 13, GT 63.0857.1%6.8%
Q2 0:24GT(4th & 1 at UVA 8) Gavin Stewart 25 yd FG GOOD - UVA 13, GT 9-0.1640.9%9.1%
Q3 6:21UVA(4th & Goal at GT 11) Will Bettridge 28 yd FG GOOD - UVA 16, GT 90.3768.1%6.7%

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
im not sure that would have made one iota of a difference other than showing us that gibson didn’t have anything a few weeks earlier. his issues are not things game time would improve
How do you know that? Most of his issues are things Sims was allowed to work through, though admittedly with more potential upside. You forget how awful Sims looked in the past.

JacketFan137

Banned
How do you know that? Most of his issues are things Sims was allowed to work through, though admittedly with more potential upside. You forget how awful Sims looked in the past.
gibson isn’t going to be more mobile just because he’s on the field more. he has no speed, no wiggle and no size to run people over. in college the qb has to be able to run

all posters that wanted him to play raved about his accuracy at akron and he missed plenty of the same gimme passes sims misses regularly

also the kid is a quitter and admitted it in the post game presser. he’s just not the guy

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
also the kid is a quitter and admitted it in the post game presser. he’s just not the guy
Agree Gibson isn't going to become more mobile, but I'm not sure this mentality wasn't installed under Collins. We've seen Jeff give up on plays and run out of bounds to end a drive multiple times in the past.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
GT football was unwatchable again tonight
I hope this game hasn't killed any enthusiasm from people that came to this game and had quit coming due to GC. I am afraid it has. That game was ugly by two bad teams. I thought the difference was they at least have a capable QB who is struggling in a new O. Our D played well last night even though they were on the field way too long. Our O was just plain bad with an injured QB who couldn't run and a backup that is not at FBS level.
This is not Key's chosen staff and he inherited the players from GC mid season. However this game probably killed any chance he had to be retained.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
After sleeping on it. I have a few thoughts.

1. I hope Sims heals quickly. He showed passion on the sideline after the injury and I hate to see a kid forcibly sidelined by injury.

2. The energy level in the stadium was lower last night than at any point since Ole Miss. Even when heckling refs, the crowd didn't feel into it.

3. Long is not the answer for this team as constituted. His play calling and personnel management are baffling. The OL is good enough to make a quick passing/power run game work, yet we call deep passes and slow developing run plays where players dance in the hole for 2 yds. Also, if blocking is bad, put in two rbs to chip, or go jumbo and stop playing with 4 and 5 wide.

4. Does anyone know what the student section added to the "fight, win, drink, get naked" chant?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
206. Total. Yards.

Maybe we need a new OC...oh, wait.
Maybe we need a new HC...oh, wait.
Maybe we need a bye week...oh, wait.
Maybe we need a change at QB...oh, wait.

206. Total. Yards.

ADJB must be wondering what he got himself into.