#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
OK. Let's say he's the worst OL coach in the history of the game. He's not trying out for that job. He's trying out for the HC job. Based on what I see, he's definitely in the running after 3 games.
No. But, you have every right to your opinion. We are not improving. So, you think a guy who is not a good position coach should be HC? So, a bad middle manager should be made CEO?

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't understand this. We are talent shy on offense, particularly without Sims.

But the players play hard. People are in the right place. The play calls make sense. The strategy makes sense. The sideline decisions are solid. The ST have been cleaned up.

What I'm saying is the coaches are doing a good job with what they have. We look competent for 3 games in a row, which was at least a season's worth for the prior HC.

Tonight's game reminded me of a couple of the early games in O'Leary's regime. We lost, but you could see the coaches were coaching well but we were missing key pieces. That's what I see here. There's nothing that says Key and Co. aren't doing a good job of pulling this thing as far out of the ditch as humanly possible.
*Some of the players play hard.

Our back QB literally noped the hell out on the final play on national tv and all of the cfb world is making fun of us.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If Sims is hurt what do we do for a QB going fwd, obviously Gibson is not the answer. Thought the defense played well again, thought the OL did a better job pass blocking until Jeff got hurt but did not do a very good job with their run blocking.
Do we try the FR QB who seems to have a little play making ability possibilities. He may not yet be far enough along. If the kid from Clemson was ready think they would have played him instead of Gibson possibly.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No. But, you have every right to your opinion. We are not improving. So, you think a guy who is not a good position coach should be HC? So, a bad middle manager should be made CEO?

Horses for courses, baybee. If he continues to lift the program as interim, why not? We need a solid football guy and he might be the one.

And I'll mostly ignore the strawman you put together.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't understand this. We are talent shy on offense, particularly without Sims.

But the players play hard. People are in the right place. The play calls make sense. The strategy makes sense. The sideline decisions are solid. The ST have been cleaned up.

What I'm saying is the coaches are doing a good job with what they have. We look competent for 3 games in a row, which was at least a season's worth for the prior HC.

Tonight's game reminded me of a couple of the early games in O'Leary's regime. We lost, but you could see the coaches were coaching well but we were missing key pieces. That's what I see here. There's nothing that says Key and Co. aren't doing a good job of pulling this thing as far out of the ditch as humanly possible.
I agree. We go from getting our tails handed to us, punts being blocked, not being able to kick field goals, playing like sissies, and no identity to playing hard as hell and forcing turnovers, making field goals, blocking punts, and being in every game. There has clearly been coaching going on these past few weeks that has produced a change in results on the field. No we didn't win tonight but we fought like hell to the last moments of the game and it wasn't enough because we just had nothing with the arsenal we had offensively tonight. Our next guy up at qb was lost out there tonight and unfortunately our depth cost us the game, not coaching.

But as for Gibson hopefully he was just rattled by being thrown into a game and can perform better. I hope Sims didn't sustain a bad injury for the sake of well being and for the sake of our offense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

How did we look competent tonight? Hell, even last week we didn't look impressive when you don't overlook the fact that Duke is not a good team either.

Also, why are we pretending like a great many of the coaches you are defending were on the same staff that looked incompetent the last 3 years? Key didn't just start coaching against Pitt, or if he did then it's an even bigger black eye for him.

People really need to stop deluding themselves into thinking Collins was the only problem and was just holding back an otherwise good staff.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Hard to recruit a good QB if you have someone who's an established starter coming back for a couple or three more years.
I'm not sure how 'established' our starter is. A top prospect might come in and compete for that position. We need a lift on offense. That starts with the QB.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
That was a brutal game to watch. UVA is a terrible team. Our D played well, but a lot of the low production was due to UVA's insanely inept offense and comical kicker. The offense with Sims was pedestrian, but with Gibson it was painful. 3 of his first 16 passes. Seriously?

The next five games could be tough. VPI is one we could legitimately win. The other four would be upsets of moderate to massive scale.