Postgame BC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people are mentioning the good pass blocking today, at least with the straight drop back. I have a theory - Shamire Devine.

The other day, I had a lot of free time, so I watched every offensive play from 2014 on youtube. I began to pick-up on a trend that when Devine was in the game, JT had a pocket. And when JT has a pocket, he's a lot better throwing the ball.

Devine is a very good pass blocker. . . maybe even an elite pass blocker. There was 1 bad play in the 4th quarter that stuck out. Looks like Devine was late pulling out to the right side or Klock blocked the wrong guy. Either way, JT got blind-sided. If that guy was blocked, looked like JeT had a lot of open field. Klock looked like he missed a few blocks today on reaches. Maybe it was the turf/cleats. Maybe I just saw his only bad plays. Not jumping to conclusions, just something that stood out.

Other than that, I like what I saw from the offense. JeT is an elite playmaker who will always give us a chance. Stewart, Jeune, and Qua came up with huge catches. I love Mills and Marshall at BB.

Simmons had a great day of D.

In any other offense, Devine is a franchise left tackle. He's by far our best pass blocker, but he's also our most physically gifted OL overall. In terms of equivalence, RG is probably our offense's LT. Our best OL has usually played RG for CPJ.

I thought Devine played a really good game, and he's developed a little nasty streak as well. Outside of a few instances, he pretty much erased his man from the play. The only problem I saw was when the defense sent in an extra defender to that side, but that could be a blocking design flaw and not a player assignment flaw.

Shamire easily graded out the highest against BC. That's a really good D though, and the rest of the OL minus Burden is young, so hopefully they get better every game once they watch film and iron out the wrinkles. Lots of talent on our OL.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Haven't seen any replays but agree the pass pocket looked a good bit better. BC was crashing down to stop the run with backers and safeties. When we threw it I thought we managed to hurt em. We will have to do it more to get Ds to play us more honestly again.
The OL stepped up and created a great pocket on 4th and 19. When we really needed to have a play, our guys stepped up and that goes for the whole team.

Let's not forget how Matt Jordan scored on a busted play in the first qtr. Mills completely brainfarted. I looked at the play and it looked like he was supposed to take the toss to the left. Instead, he ran right into MJ who was turning to make the pitch. That could have been disasterous, but MJ has the presence of mind to know where the blocking was. The lead Aback, Isiah Willis, made a textbook block which gave Matthew all the room he needed.

That said, on that final td, if JJ Green had not whiffed on his lead cut block, Mills would have walked in.

Let's hope we can clean up the mental stuff that is so correctable.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The OL stepped up and created a great pocket on 4th and 19. When we really needed to have a play, our guys stepped up and that goes for the whole team.

Let's not forget how Matt Jordan scored on a busted play in the first qtr. Mills completely brainfarted. I looked at the play and it looked like he was supposed to take the toss to the left. Instead, he run right into MJ who was turning to make the pitch. That could have been a huge disaster, but MJ has the presence of mind to know where the blocking was. The playside AB on that play made a textbook block which gave Matthew all the room he needed.

That said, on that final td, if JJ Green had not whiffed on his lead cut block, Mills would have walked in.

Luckily we were able to pull out a W even with all the mistakes. This is a good D we played against, and they had all camp to prepare for us.

Hopefully our guys clean up the mistakes of over the next couple of games before we start playing conference schedule. The talent is there, it's young, but this could be a good team if they can correct the mental errors.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Let's not forget how Matt Jordan scored on a busted play in the first qtr. Mills completely brainfarted. I looked at the play and it looked like he was supposed to take the toss to the left. Instead, he ran right into MJ who was turning to make the pitch. That could have been disasterous, but MJ has the presence of mind to know where the blocking was. The lead Aback, Isiah Willis, made a textbook block which gave Matthew all the room he needed.

Don't think JJ whiffed he just knocked his guy back too early

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Replay is up on WatchESPN currently. I'll wait for GTBob's to break it down.
Luckily we were able to pull out a W even with all the mistakes. This is a good D we played against, and they had all camp to prepare for us.

Hopefully our guys clean up the mistakes of over the next couple of games before we start playing conference schedule. The talent is there, it's young, but this could be a good team if they can correct the mental errors.
Agree and that includes our sr qb. CPJ mentioned he missed about every read on option.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The job of the defense is to hold the other team to less points that what our offense scores. They did their job. They gave a one big play to a pretty good running back. For the first game, they did pretty good. The offense is what concerns me. They are experienced at all the key positions and they still look like crap for the majority of the game. Is it the OL still sh***y or is Justin not reading the game correctly? Not discounting BC's defense, but damn our offense hasn't looked worth a crap for a while now. This was still BC the team that didn't win an conf game last year. I mean Justin hasn't looked right since the OB, yes he made a couple of incredible plays at the end of the game, but for the majority of the contest him and the rest of the offense looked slow and overmatched. Is it play calling? Something is a miss.

BC was that great D last year... We have a higher points per drive than anyone they played in 2015 except Clemson (see earlier post for exact numbers). BC will win more this year as there O is improved (Dumpster fire last year)

Our O does have a lot to correct. This game is no different than the VT game in 2014. JT is still a good QB and was good last year. He is not good enough to carry the whole team as shown last year, but he is good none the less. The 3 3 1 defense did give JT read issues as we have not encountered this setup much.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't think JJ whiffed he just knocked his guy back too early
He failed to get him on the ground which is his job. The defender did a textbook cut avoidance with his hands and just stepped around the cut. Granted, that's one of the hardest blocks to make, one-on-one against an athletic defender in space, but that's something that is key to the offense and is repped ad nauseum in practice.

Mills made a helluva play to get that ball in the endzone, but he should have been able to walk in with the numbers advantage we had.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He failed to get him on the ground which is his job. The defender did a textbook cut avoidance with his hands and just stepped around the cut. Granted, that's one of the hardest blocks to make, one-on-one against an athletic defender in space, but that's something that is key to the offense and is repped ad nauseum in practice.

Mills made a helluva play to get that ball in the endzone, but he should have been able to walk in with the numbers advantage we had.

I disagree. Down by the goal line the cut blocks aren't just to get the guy on the ground. They are to force the defender to make a tough choice. Either they can be aggressive and try to stop the play for no gain, in which case he had to run straight into the cut block or they can try and give ground to avoid the cutblock in which case he's giving the offense 3 yards at least with 2 more downs to pick up one. The former option is probably a walk in TD unless the defender completely beats the block. The latter, in addition to the problem above, leads to him having to try and make a stonewall type stop while being offbalance.

The way the defender played it means he wasn't going to be put on the ground. But our aback still put him offbalance in addition to the lost ground, and created a situation where our bback should be able to finish the run.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Down by the goal line the cut blocks aren't just to get the guy on the ground. They are to force the defender to make a tough choice. Either they can be aggressive and try to stop the play for no gain, in which case he had to run straight into the cut block or they can try and give ground to avoid the cutblock in which case he's giving the offense 3 yards at least with 2 more downs to pick up one. The former option is probably a walk in TD unless the defender completely beats the block. The latter, in addition to the problem above, leads to him having to try and make a stonewall type stop while being offbalance.

The way the defender played it means he wasn't going to be put on the ground. But our aback still put him offbalance in addition to the lost ground, and created a situation where our bback should be able to finish the run.
If it wasn't for a good play by mills and the guy being under mills on the tackle to help keep mills body up he would have stopped mills short of the TD is the point @dressedcheeseside is making.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Completely agree. The way I saw it the block started at the 4 yard line causing the defender to give ground to the 1 1/2 yard line (where he was off balance and not in a tackling position). Green continued to roll after the defender continuing to be a nuisance. At this point Mills saw the opportunity to blast for the last 1 1/2 yards over the sprawling defender. Good run. Good block!

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
The last TD was performed at a good level not great. Green knocked his defender back and occupied him for just long enough. You aren't making a tackle with someone running full steam at you and you moving laterally down the goal line. Having watched it several dozen times it looks like Mills got a little head start. Great win for the team. We looked tired from the flight. I was at the Boston college Clemson game last year. That defense played Clemson really tough. The BC offense was so bad that their defense got worn down by the third quarter from clemsons tempo.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
. I know I keep harping on this but we have to have a WR who draws double coverage so we can win the numbers game. We looked better at times today but for the most part they still were able to cover us one on one. If they don't respect the deep ball the safeties play the run.

One thing that stood out to me is that when JT got the ball close to the WRs, they always caught it (as I remember). That is a good deal better than some other years.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Why don't we play Simmons on Rods side of the ball so we can have KeShun and Simmons In at the same time. Yesterday those two were our best pass rushers why not start them both?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What play was it down the stretch that Searcy de-cleated the guy? I'm brainfarting here.

I remember the hit but can't recall what play it was. Pretty sure that defender can't recall the play either. :sleep:

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Glad we won...isn't the option supposed to give us a numbers advantage? I'm trying to figure out why we were out numbered basically every option? Bad blocking? Missed assignments?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What play was it down the stretch that Searcy de-cleated the guy? I'm brainfarting here.

I remember the hit but can't recall what play it was. Pretty sure that defender can't recall the play either. :sleep:
I think it was a toss to the left.