Postgame BC

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Can't we all agree that BC was very good on D and probably between the 3rd and 5th best we'll see? After all this is September 4th.

I think they are the best we will see this year. They have really talented players, and were the most disciplined defense (as a whole) that I have seen in a while. Clemson might have as much talent, but BC is more disciplined.

I didn't think they were that great coming into the game, but several of those guys will play on Sunday.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
you will survive. I was at a game one time, in a galaxy far, far away and saw GT get beat by Furman. (I have never admitted this to anyone before now but wanted to reach out. I have been in your valley of despair, brother.) I cannot say that I am a better man for it although others say "that which does not kill us, makes us stronger'. In another 30 years or so, you will be able to laugh at yesterday's result.

I seem to recall three years later we had to have a late turnover to salvage a tie with Furman, also.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Oh no, no offense taken at all. We suck monkey balls. I have DEEEEEEEEEP concerns about Bronco Mendenhall (admittedly, part of it is just how badly he rubs me the wrong way).

Maybe he's our football Tony Bennett, but I'd bet against it. (he also dicked with our helmet, which is a top 5 helmet in college football...unforgivable)
Is Bronco a robot? I listened to his ESPN "car wash" interview and I was pretty sure that was not a human voice coming through the radio. I have a hard time believing he's going to have much luck recruiting southern boys with his personality, but I guess that's part of the reason he brought in Ruffin McNeal as assistant head coach.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Is Bronco a robot? I listened to his ESPN "car wash" interview and I was pretty sure that was not a human voice coming through the radio. I have a hard time believing he's going to have much luck recruiting southern boys with his personality, but I guess that's part of the reason he brought in Ruffin McNeal as assistant head coach.
Hes got an odd demeanor, but thats not what bugs me.

He insists on these cornball, 8th grade things/methods/stunts. Things like rigorously enforcing how the team runs on the field, or not letting the team wear numbers until theyve "earned it", or making kids reapond to the s/c like theyre in the army "roger that".

He insists on playing the guy who tries the hardest instead of the guy who is best.

He insists on fanatical conditioning instead of skill development.

He told the players that he doesn't want them drinking alcohol and their free time, regardless of whether they are of age.

Its like hes trying to star in his own cheesy 80s high school football movie where the underdog plucky team full of little white boys overcomes the odds and wins it all.

He's recruiting like that, too.

That was fine in the summer. Bronco had won at his last stop and so the kids bought in. He told them "this is what leads to wins" and because he had a record, they believed him. You will run till you puke every day if you believe the payoff is worth it.

The problem is when, after all that BS, you get bent over by an fcs school. Then maybe you look at it with a critical eye and think "maybe instead of my 10000th situp and pep talk, maybe Id like to spend my limited practice time preping for gt".

And " I know Jimmy tries his butt off, but Kenny is way way better and would help us win the game".

If you lose the trust of your team, all of your talk about trust the system and do things the right way or do them again starts to sound like some chucklehead who's more mouth than fists

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Fwiw, you had the good recruiter who related well to the kids for the last several years.

point being, it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, if you lose games. the corollary to this is: it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, if you win games. All coaches have their critics. Those who remain employed win. It doesn't silence the critics but it keeps you cashing (large) checks.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
point being, it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, if you lose games. the corollary to this is: it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, if you win games. All coaches have their critics. Those who remain employed win. It doesn't silence the critics but it keeps you cashing (large) checks.
Exactly, put up or shut up. Lots of people talked all kinds of smack about Dabo his first couple years, but I don't think anyone would say jack today.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really hope UVa beats VT. I pull for UVa in most sports. Since we live in Virginia, my kids looked at both and my daughter would have gone to UVa if not GT. My son ..... well neither was in the cards.

After our win, I made the quick-ish trip to Charlottesville to see UVA begin the Mendenhall era. TWO dominant thoughts as the game played out:
1) UVA is a bad football team in every phase.
2) I wish we were playing UVA next.

We'll see if Mendenhall can salvage some bright spots as season goes on.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, put up or shut up. Lots of people talked all kinds of smack about Dabo his first couple years, but I don't think anyone would say jack today.

I wouldn't go that far. Did you see the way that Clemson Auburn game ended? That was a major bonehead move.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
JT I don't think will ever feel comfortable in a pocket unless it's an extremely well protected one. He's not focused to be a pocket passer due to his height and his confidence in his running/scrambling skills. His comfort level seems to be highest outside the pocket.
You may be right. My point is there was no reason for him to run out of the pocket a couple of times yesterday sinçe everyone was blocked. I can't blame him for being gun-shy, jumpy and throwing off the back foot etc because he had to run for his life last year. For him to get better though whether it's drop back or a moving pocket scheme he'll have to learn to trust it. He can help himself by getting it out on time. The first long pass to Searcy for example was a moving pocket buy he was late getting it out. Had he thrown it on time he probably scores. He's jumpy and has extra movement that he didn't need yesterday. I'm not trying to be critical I'm just saying he has room to improve. Hopefully the pass pro will continue to improve also.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think they are the best we will see this year. They have really talented players, and were the most disciplined defense (as a whole) that I have seen in a while. Clemson might have as much talent, but BC is more disciplined.

I didn't think they were that great coming into the game, but several of those guys will play on Sunday.
BC will be the best D we face this year. At least it will be the best who was best prepared for us too.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You may be right. My point is there was no reason for him to run out of the pocket a couple of times yesterday sinçe everyone was blocked. I can't blame him for being gun-shy, jumpy and throwing off the back foot etc because he had to run for his life last year. For him to get better though whether it's drop back or a moving pocket scheme he'll have to learn to trust it. He can help himself by getting it out on time. The first long pass to Searcy for example was a moving pocket buy he was late getting it out. Had he thrown it on time he probably scores. He's jumpy and has extra movement that he didn't need yesterday. I'm not trying to be critical I'm just saying he has room to improve. Hopefully the pass pro will continue to improve also.
It's too bad people like to believe that honest evaluations are being critical. JT is not a typical QB if passing skills are considered part of the typical package. It's true that he can throw darts if given the time and a window to throw them through but he's adequate for this offense since passing is mostly an afterthought in it. I hope that this "improved" pass protection is not an illusion and that passing becomes a significant part of this year's offense.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yeah, probably not the best "talent" but will be the best talent/coached-up combo.
I heard this AM that BC lost three of it's O coaches from last year including its coordinator. If they end up being the best O we'll face this year, they must have some awesome talent. But it's only the first week of the season so who really knows?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I heard this AM that BC lost three of it's O coaches from last year including its coordinator. If they end up being the best O we'll face this year, they must have some awesome talent. But it's only the first week of the season so who really knows?

You mean D, right?

Fwiw, though they lost D coaches, they kept the same terminology. New DC learned the system of last DC.