Postgame BC

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Just finished watching the replay. Mills is going to be a good one, but he looked a step slower than MM to me. He (Mills) took several major licks though, and still managed to get the job done into the 4th. The future looks bright.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ talked about the missed assignments on offense. Do you guys think this will be a trend again this year or did BC just do a good job of confusing us with their alignments on D? CPJ seemed to think they fixed it in fall camp

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ talked about the missed assignments on offense. Do you guys think this will be a trend again this year or did BC just do a good job of confusing us with their alignments on D? CPJ seemed to think they fixed it in fall camp

I think this is a learning experience and mostly an anamoly. Bad footing played a role in it.

Milwaukee

Banned

Combination of the 2. We got completely dominated/whipped, but we also missed a TON of blocks.
What's worse was watching their offensive line pushing our front 7 five yards down field. Not sure if that or our lack of passing game is the biggest problem we have.

That was an *** whooping all around but we clawed and got the W.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Hermine is coming through (not what she was) but I put up the flag this morning and here it is at high tide. So I hope we don't hear about people complain about rain in Ireland, we have bigger badder American rain (tic).

After reflecting on the game. I think we stole one.

kj7hcdpjpn83ljh6g.jpg
I think we did, on a second viewing. And in that viewing, I have to walk back part of my criticism of Thomas's quickness. he absolutely froze some Dbacks on that 10-yard run down to the 12 or so. (And maybe made the best play of the game on the first play of that drive when he somehow got out of the trap, rolled back, broke a tackle long enough to fling the ball out of bounds but past the line of scrimmage. A very nice play that shows on the charts as an incomplete pass. Well done. And that is how we got to be 1-0.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There were missed assignments and bad reads (3TO give to the BB and a midline give to the BB in the 1st half for sure).

I think GT definitely had worse footing than BC for whatever reason. They were not sliding around like our guys. The team slowed down due to the unsure footing.

GT does not play as well in rain... I think there is enough data to confirm this statement (except that one UNC win)

Still a young team, but I think/hope they can grow up/old fast. They may have been dazzled a little by the experience.

One last thing... it seems to take the team 4 games to warm up to fire on all cylinders (ala 2014).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There were missed assignments and bad reads (3TO give to the BB and a midline give to the BB in the 1st half for sure).

I think GT definitely had worse footing than BC for whatever reason. They were not sliding around like our guys. The team slowed down due to the unsure footing.

GT does not play as well in rain... I think there is enough data to confirm this statement (except that one UNC win)

Still a young team, but I think/hope they can grow up/old fast. They may have been dazzled a little by the experience.

One last thing... it seems to take the team 4 games to warm up to fire on all cylinders (ala 2014).

Looking forward to your breakdown. All I know is that a close win beats a close loss. I didn't think we were that young..... mid age, maybe. And we have gotten better in past seasons as the season goes on; removing the cupcake wins early on. Last year we just got more banged up and worse.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

This is a consistent problem with GT. Remember the Emerald bowl against the other FSU? From the jump, it seemed that the GT players played tentative and slow due to lack of footing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our yds/play was pretty average compared to what last year's BC Def gave up.
However, our pts/drive weren't bad. Here's last year's BC Def pts/drive:
upload_2016-9-3_17-42-16.png

We got our 17 pts in 9 drives, 1.89 pts/drive. Which isn't bad against this context.

slugboy

Staff member
I can not stand our bend but don't break defense.
Per Sports Source Analytics: Bend but don't break is an atrocious strategy on def. Avg FBS tm scores points 71% of time & TDs 45% of time on drives averaging 10+ plays.

I can't say I loved the rush 3 strategy when BC was out of time outs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cam

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly, Ted Roof said he runs bend but don't break because he doesn't have the necessary personnel to do otherwise. But I admittedly don't know what he ran at Auburn and Penn State before us.