Postgame BC

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Simmons and Henderson should start on DL in place of Freeman and Kallon. Linebackers were very active in the 1st half but really struggled getting off blocks in 2nd half. I don't think people realize how difficult the field conditions were on our offense. Too many misreads on option and missed blocks. I think Mills will be very good and I love our receiving weapons in Qua, Ricky, and Brad. Special teams look way better except for punter.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
On BC's 3rd down qb scramble td, PJ couldn't get off a block to have a chance to make a play. It actually looked like he didn't want to. He may have been banged up and gassed and seeing a huge load of qb barreling down on the goal line, but the effort or will or both, wasn't there.

Something aint right. No clue if there is a reason or he was simply overwhelmed.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
Simmons and Henderson should start on DL in place of Freeman and Kallon. Linebackers were very active in the 1st half but really struggled getting off blocks in 2nd half. I don't think people realize how difficult the field conditions were on our offense. Too many misreads on option and missed blocks. I think Mills will be very good and I love our receiving weapons in Qua, Ricky, and Brad. Special teams look way better except for punter.
that's my second biggest takeaway. JJ Green and Our Lord and Savior Brad Stewart did an excellent job returning punts. I was also pretty impressed by the pass blocking; whatever we're paying Ron West isn't enough

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I hope you meant Simmons for Chungong. Simmons was first to the party, followed by Freeman, and nobody else.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
You can't just cherry pick games. Here's the rest of their 2015 season:
Main 91 yards
Howard 11 (sic) yards
FSU 217 yards
N Illinois 153 yards
Duke 228 yards
Wake 142 yards
Cuse 241 yards

As a further point, here's a reality check cherry picking games for another team. This team gave up

Ole Miss 433 yards
Tex A&M 316 yards
Miss St 393 yards
Clemson 550 yards (40 points)

Not a very good defense by those standards. Of course Nick Saban was never known for defense.

BC's defense passed the stats test last year and initially pass the eyeball test this year with 8 of their starters. We could have played much better, but this might be the best defense we face all year.

Look at who is on the list.
With exception of FSU, those teams aren't in the same league as us offensively. Our offense except last year is a top 10 offense. Duke's QB was hurt that game and did not play. Maine and Howard should not even be considered. Wake and Syracuse's offenses were at the bottom of the ACC along with BC.

Truthfully the team that I think is a good comparison to us was NC State and they just beat BC last year. Was not close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I at least want to see a heavy rotation including Simmons/Henderson. Freeman was really close to making some plays. Maybe better footing leads to some sacks? Kallon is a body out there at least.

Agree on our playmakers. We actually look dangerous on the return for the first time in a loooong while.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
With exception of FSU, those teams aren't in the same league as us offensively. Our offense except last year is a top 10 offense. Duke's QB was hurt that game and did not play. Maine and Howard should not even be considered. Wake and Syracuse's offenses were at the bottom of the ACC along with BC.

Truthfully the team that I think is a good comparison to us was NC State and they just beat BC last year. Was not close.

Holding any team to 11 yards or under 100 is crazy good! Also, not that football works this way, but they allowed about the same yards and less points than Bama did against the number 2 team and top 4 offense in the nation. You can't count Clemson against them. They were that good. You can call out bad offenses and missing a QB but I bet if you looked at those stats compared to their average, they would generally be far below.

Anyway, I remain convinced today that BC has a damn good defense and we got a lot we can improve on offense. IMO we look much better than we did against Tulane in 2014 when I was absolutely sure we were in for another 7-8 season at best. So I feel cautiously optimistic that we can improve a lot until Mercer and Vandy. We'll see.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The yds/game stat is next to nonsense. CU, lolzvil and nd ran over 70 plays last year, and we ran 59.

That being said, we were still below their ave in yds/play allowed from last year.

We buckled down, didn't give up, and made enuf plays to win. Beyond that, there's not much from stats to hang optimism on, on either side.of the ball.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

Ultimately time will tell about what this performance means but there was a lot of X factors in this game.

First game of the season
Long travel in a totally different setting and stadium
Early start time
BC had extra time to prepare and I'm sure they used most of the preseason

Just enjoy the victory and leave the over analyzing for tomorrow.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Today was a gut check drive after getting stuffed for an entire game when there were no more chances left on the table. I have some concerns, but this team showed me they are here to FINISH games in 2016.

I give our defense a B for the game. Any time you have given up only 14, by the middle of the 4th Q, when you have only gotten 6 first downs on offense, is a pretty good day, regardless of how prolific the offense is that your are facing.

Our ABs disappeared today.

Our OL couldn't get their DL blocked.

Their boundary DBs had no respect for our WRs.

We had some serious execution errors on offense not related to the strength of their defense.

JT had several senior moments and willed this team to victory.

A great analysis as usual, Boomer. Above are some quotes from your post that fairly sum up the game I saw as well. Overall, I was very pleased that we could walk away with a win and was doubly pleased we found a way to win in the clutch.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Except for not making changes on the punting team, I like our new ST coach...!

Kidding, of course.

I thought the punter was ok at best, but coverage
I thought punter was ok at best, but coverage sucked worse than him

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I owe all GT fans a big apology. Because Hermine was coming to visit Savannah I took down our Georgia Tech banner so it would not fly away. I forgot to put it back up until after half-time. I'm glad I looked out the front window & realized it was missing. Whew - I could have been in BIG TROUBLE.

I promise not to take it down until January 31, 2017!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First game. Lots of positives and lots of negatives. I wouldn't read too much into this game other than we're 1-0...and more importantly, 1-0 in conference play.

Still don't know what kind of team BC is nor what we have in our own team.

That said:

Simmons played like the guy we thought he could be since he signed. Was consistently in the backfield, and played well against the run.

Mills ran TOUGH. Showed flashes of Dwyer on a couple of drives. Tough running and ability to cut from defenders. He's gonna be a good one.

Jeune is becoming a nice security blanket for JeT. Made some great catches.

Our OL needs to figure out how to pick up the slicing DBs. #28 and #10 were consistently making plays behind the LOS at the snap. We couldn't pick them up.

Griffin needs to be fundamentally better. He's in position to make plays, and that's good, but he has to cut down on the mental errors.

We'll see an improvement with our guys over the next few games. Not a great showing from ourboys, but not a Loss so we got a positive result.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I pay a lot attention to the LBs for obvious reasons. Its clear why Brant was battling with Chase Alford. Very pedestrian performance and hope he gets a fire lit under him. Quite a few times he found himself outta position, blitzed the wrong gap, and wasn't disengaging blockers. If we are going to have our DL stalemate at the LOS he has to be a force. Same goes for PJ. A lot high risk, high reward with him. As a Senior, he has to be consistent. Terrell had a decent game. Like the others, he needs to finish plays and push ballcarriers back

I agree on Mitchell, he let a 255lb QB sidestep him on blitz ,he didn't even touch him ,the announcer said we knew the QB could run /move ,apparently Freeman and BM didn't hear that as both got burned