Postgame BC

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Where does Boston College grow their defense and where do we get some?

I don't normally care about things like this but I asked myself the very same question.That D looked like the Hurricanes D that has given us fits over the years with their speed.Esp. their linebackers. According to their roster, most of their kids are local (NE) talent with some kids sprinkled in from Ohio and Fla. That area gets a bad rap for FB but there IS a lot of population there and little to no recruiting competition (outside of the 'Cuse?) Ross and O'leary used to recruit up there successfully. Even their interior Dline was stout and we could not move them. I was impressed with them. Relieved with a win.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
HUGE 4th and 19 conversion to Qua Searcy. I think the biggest take away from today is - our team made big plays when the game was on the line. BC deserved the win prior to the last couple drives. But JT, QS and DM played their hearts out, and refused to lose. If we can win the close games this year, look out!
O-line did fairly well, especially considering how could BCs D has been. Granted we have the rest of the season to see how good their defense really is.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Passing game actually good when Justin went to a straight drop back. When he play faked or did anything extra is when the passing game look awful. Run blocking looked terrible. BC has a good defense, but they have an undersized DL. Running game looked good when we gave the ball to the B back on designed runs where the OL drove block. A win is a win.

From what I could see on TV, it appeared we had protection scheme issues in passing game. Interior blocking looked pretty good in drop back, but didn't account for everyone in rollouts/play action type plays. It seems this should be resolvable.

Thank goodness JT came to play.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
On D we were not as disciplned as we needed to be. We over pursued, and failed to wrap up when we were in position to make plays.

We did play hard though. We will learn and move on. I am glad we didn't blitz more. I think our lack of discipline would have given them some home runs.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
On D we were not as disciplned as we needed to be. We over pursued, and failed to wrap up when we were in position to make plays.

We did play hard though. We will learn and move on. I am glad we didn't blitz more. I think our lack of discipline would have given them some home runs.
I think we had traction issues. Wonder if we did not prepare well enough for the grass; bring several pair of cleats.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Jt was jfn worthy

Tough d we faced

Tough trip in the rain

O gad wtf moments. D had wtf moments

Discipline team. Very little to no penalties. Hallmark of good coaching

Good pass pro. New stuff is working.

We won

Best thing is. We played so bad, and won, teaching this week will be easy.
Defense played well.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have to be honest. I am a bit relieved, as I debated whether to even look at the swarm today. I was expecting to see a bunch of negative chatter about how terrible this season is going to be etc etc. Evidently, most see this game the same way I do, as a HUGE character win. Ladies and Gentlemen, we pulled a game out of the fire today. That hasn't happened in a long time for this program. I guess you could say FSU 2015, but we all know the actual ending was a bit of a fluke. Our final offensive FG drive was clutch, but the "miracle" was just that. Today was a gut check drive after getting stuffed for an entire game when there were no more chances left on the table. I have some concerns, but this team showed me they are here to FINISH games in 2016. My initial takeaways on a live viewing:

BC defense is really good. I didn't see them play last year, just read the stats. They handled us on the center of both LOSs and they had some great athletes and speed out in space. I doubt we face a better defense. I don't think we played well against them, but they were really really good.

I give our defense a B for the game. Any time you have given up only 14, by the middle of the 4th Q, when you have only gotten 6 first downs on offense, is a pretty good day, regardless of how prolific the offense is that your are facing. I remain concerned about the DL mostly. We got some activity on the edge, but the middle was weak. We need Keshun to heal up and get his quickness back. Pass rush is still a question mark.

Our ABs disappeared today. We had a couple catches by Qua and a nice run by Clinton, but after that? There were a lot of red shirts and no white shirts around GT ball carriers toward the boundary. Cut blocks? Hello?

Our OL couldn't get their DL blocked.

Their boundary DBs had no respect for our WRs.

We had some serious execution errors on offense not related to the strength of their defense.

JT had several senior moments and willed this team to victory. He did not stuff the stat sheet, BUUUT.......he put this team on his back and made HUUUUUUGE plays when it mattered, just to keep our pulse going. It was CPR out there. Let's be honest.

When their defense contacted our guys in space, we went down with no added yards. When our defensive players contacted their offensive carriers in space, they always wiggled and fell for a few more yards. This is not a good sign.

The sloppy footing favored them, the more physical team.

As always, I will have a film (TV slomo) review tomorrow. As of right now, I am elated, exhausted, proud, and curious all at the same time. We have a win in the pocket that could have gone the other way. For those of you who have played sports, there are certain wins that stand out. Those are the ones where you faced a worthy adversary in an epic battle and still managed to come out on top. This is one of those. Getting a W is huge. End of story. They aren't always going to be easy or pretty. If this were an SEC game, the story would be about how amazing the defenses are in this conference and nobody from the outside would stand a chance.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Can Marshall please start at LT from now on!!!!! On the 4th and 19 he delivered and pancake block to the DE and then dove on top of him to finish him off!! We need him on the line. Great first game..playing and winning in that weather the first game will pay dividends IMO.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am happy with a win. Especially in weird conditions and new faces in key roles.

That said, I've shifted a lot more towards @33jacket 's dark side. I still love TR's recruiting and personality, but I have very little confidence in a marked improvement on D.

Big time plays on that last drive. Pass pro was definitely better but not great.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket is it time to pull the plug on Kallon like they did in the 2nd half?

Maybe still too early. Indications suggest he is not much better. I wasnt on the hype train this off season so that would taint my view. Personally. My dl is the following:

Simmons, gamble, cerge, chungong. If freeman grades out then its simmons, cerge, gamble, freeman

Notice nowhere is kallon.

But for once i will say lets see vs vandy. Then pull the plug.... But yes. I woulda pulled it pre season. He coulda had a bad game. Lord knows alot of us did

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I pay a lot attention to the LBs for obvious reasons. Its clear why Brant was battling with Chase Alford. Very pedestrian performance and hope he gets a fire lit under him. Quite a few times he found himself outta position, blitzed the wrong gap, and wasn't disengaging blockers. If we are going to have our DL stalemate at the LOS he has to be a force. Same goes for PJ. A lot high risk, high reward with him. As a Senior, he has to be consistent. Terrell had a decent game. Like the others, he needs to finish plays and push ballcarriers back

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Of course, I pay a lot attention to the LBs for obvious reasons. Its clear why Brant was battling with Chase Alford. Very pedestrian performance and hope he gets fire lit under him. Quite a few times he found himself outta position, blitzed the wrong gap, and wasn't disengaging blockers. If we are going to have our DL stalemate at the LOS he has to be a force. Same goes for PJ. A lot high risk, high reward with him. As a Senior, he has to be consistent. Terrell had a decent game. Like the others, he needs to finish plays and push ballcarriers back

This is exactly right. I typed in chat that the lb have to carry the load if the dl is being asked to do this. They are not. I hate to say it when pj went down, of course not for the injury reason, but i wanted to see what vic could do