Postgame BC

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Maybe still too early. Indications suggest he is not much better. I wasnt on the hype train this off season so that would taint my view. Personally. My dl is the following:

Simmons, gamble, cerge, chungong. If freeman grades out then its simmons, cerge, gamble, freeman

Notice nowhere is kallon.

But for once i will say lets see vs vandy. Then pull the plug.... But yes. I woulda pulled it pre season. He coulda had a bad game. Lord knows alot of us did

My thoughts also. Hopefully he can gain some confidence vs. Mercer and let that carry over to Vandy who lined and smacked USCe in the mouth 3 and 1/2 qtrs

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a lot of chatter about BC's defense. Yes they have great overall stats

Let's do a reality check

BC gave up in 2015
Clemson 532 yards
Louisville 365 yards
NCState. 351 yards
ND. 447 yards

We gained 238 yards. VT had 275 yards against them last year and their offense was their worst in 15 years.

We won and that's great but there is ton of work to be done if this season is truly going to be different than last year.
I think we will have a good indicator of the this season against Vandy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Bad.
CPJ should trust his passing game more.
OLine was getting abused on the run.
Too many pitches to nowhere.
Bend don't break on D with the exception of one play.
No pressure on the QB.

Good.
JT took the game over. The Real MVP
Antonio Simmons has his own party in the backfield all by himself.
Mills redemption.
Marshall looked good.
Passing game saved the game.

A Good Win against a Tough Team.
This pretty much covers it I think. Really need to work on both sides of the ball. Again, little pressure on the quarterback which does not bode well. Nonetheless it was the kind of game we lost last year. BC probably outplayed us but let it get away from them in the end. Giving up a fourth and 16 first down pass is inexcusable. They were, as advertised, every bit as tough against the run as any team we played last year. Personally, I think Addaizzio (spelling?) should have gone for it on 4th and a little more than a yard. They tried to kick the field goal and it was wide. Great job by the team and love the character, toughness, and determination they displayed. Now it will be time to go bear hunting.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Passing game
Blocking up middle = solid.
We played a good defense game one and scratched out win.
At end Coach made good calls and team made the plays.

16 is a definite maybe good year
I'm struggling with your grading "blocking up the middle." We got almost nothing up the middle, save for one Mills run I think it was. the rest of the day was spent clogged up, gang tackling, no-gain type stuff that resulted in never getting the option game untracked. I don't know whether their athletes were that good -- and they were good, no kidding -- or our blocking that bad, or Thomas's decisions that bad. I'll let the x and o guys figure that one out. I was hoping and even expecting we would come out after half time adjustments and crank up the running game. Ah, well. We have another game next week. I hope nobody got hurt is the main thing.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Let's do a reality check

BC gave up in 2015
Clemson 532 yards
Louisville 365 yards
NCState. 351 yards
ND. 447 yards

We gained 238 yards. VT had 275 yards against them last year and their offense was their worst in 15 years.

We won and that's great but there is ton of work to be done if this season is truly going to be different than last year.

Yikes
What a blower.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Let's do a reality check

BC gave up
Clemson 532 yards
Louisville 365 yards
NCState. 351 yards
ND. 447 yards

Lost 34-17
Saturday
Oct. 24 at Louisville Cardinals
Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Louisville, KY Lost 17-14
Saturday
Nov. 7 NC State Wolfpack
Alumni Stadium, Chestnut Hill, MA Lost 24-8
Saturday
Nov. 14 Open Date
Saturday
Nov. 21 at Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Fenway Park, Boston, MA Lost 19-16
Saturday
Nov. 28 at Syracuse Orange
Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY Lost 20-17

Other than Clemson those scores you are very impressive and gives your Offense a chance to compete. Too bad for them they didnt an offense last season

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The defense did not put on an encouraging performance. That is my biggest takeaway and concern.
Even given BC's offensive problems, I really thought the defense played pretty well. Even that interference penalty early i applauded since it indicated the guys came to hit people.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
From what I could see on TV, it appeared we had protection scheme issues in passing game. Interior blocking looked pretty good in drop back, but didn't account for everyone in rollouts/play action type plays. It seems this should be resolvable.

Thank goodness JT came to play.
Anybody notice that Thomas played two years at 185 but seems to have dropped four pounds this season? I am guessing that one of the stat guys looked at last year's weights wrong and just guessed. But they are all guesses anyway. All of them enthusiastically so.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
From what I could see on TV, it appeared we had protection scheme issues in passing game. Interior blocking looked pretty good in drop back, but didn't account for everyone in rollouts/play action type plays. It seems this should be resolvable.

Thank goodness JT came to play.
Compared to last year, our pass blocking looked a lot better. Sure there was a bust or 2 but overall I'm encouraged by that aspect of the offense.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Lost 34-17
Saturday
Oct. 24 at Louisville Cardinals
Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Louisville, KY Lost 17-14
Saturday
Nov. 7 NC State Wolfpack
Alumni Stadium, Chestnut Hill, MA Lost 24-8
Saturday
Nov. 14 Open Date
Saturday
Nov. 21 at Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Fenway Park, Boston, MA Lost 19-16
Saturday
Nov. 28 at Syracuse Orange
Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY Lost 20-17

Other than Clemson those scores you are very impressive and gives your Offense a chance to compete. Too bad for them they didnt an offense last season

Also, don't forget that their offense was so putrid that their D was on the field all game, every game. I don't have it in front of me, but I would assume that even in the games in which they gave up the most yards their D was on the field for a significant number of plays and you will still see a lower avg yd/play than other teams Clemson, Louisville, etc played

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Really, what's he going to say ? It's all just "player speak ", preseason fluff. Until our current receiver corp is able to get some separation , with some sense of urgency, on a consistent basis, it puts an awful lot of pressure on our young offensive line. Every completed pass cannot be a " jump ball " into tight coverage. That turns us into a one dimensional team where the running game better be hot. No mistakes, no penalties, no fumbles. This is not last year where we started the season playing cupcakes. BC is not Clemson, but they know how to play defense , especially against the run. They return lots of size and experience in their front 7 and their LBs are stout. Upset alert tomorrow morning ......I hope I'm wrong.
This is what I thought on Friday. Missed opportunities by both teams were typical of a first game. As CPJ said after the game, the BC defense will probably be one of the best we will face all year....they literally had 2 months to prepare for us......and we found a way to win. Like all first games , there were good and bad things we did. But it's a conference win and we will build on it. THWG and GOOOOOO BADGERS !!

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We didn't play well most of the game and won. As I said in chat, I think the cleats we had weren't as good as BCs. But did what we had to. It is a lot easier to build on a win than a loss.

JT's escape and the 4th and 19 were plays of the game.

Such solid ST outside of Rodwell that I'm really encouraged with that phase. Blocked FG, all TBs, made all FGs (1) and EPs. And Stewart looked good on punt returns. We don't have the good ST play and we lose.

I respond to your post, but have heard it & read it several places

If, after all this time to plan, we did not have the "right cleats" then somebody should be fired.

This is one of GT's all time, often used, great EXCUSES. HOW COULD WE ALWAYS BE THE DAMN TEAM WITH THE WRONG CLEATS? HOW FREAKING STUPID ARE GT PEOPLE?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly right. I typed in chat that the lb have to carry the load if the dl is being asked to do this. They are not. I hate to say it when pj went down, of course not for the injury reason, but i wanted to see what vic could do
On BC's 3rd down qb scramble td, PJ couldn't get off a block to have a chance to make a play. It actually looked like he didn't want to. He may have been banged up and gassed and seeing a huge load of qb barreling down on the goal line, but the effort or will or both, wasn't there.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow

Let's do a reality check

BC gave up in 2015
Clemson 532 yards
Louisville 365 yards
NCState. 351 yards
ND. 447 yards

You can't just cherry pick games. Here's the rest of their 2015 season:
Main 91 yards
Howard 11 (sic) yards
FSU 217 yards
N Illinois 153 yards
Duke 228 yards
Wake 142 yards
Cuse 241 yards

As a further point, here's a reality check cherry picking games for another team. This team gave up

Ole Miss 433 yards
Tex A&M 316 yards
Miss St 393 yards
Clemson 550 yards (40 points)

Not a very good defense by those standards. Of course Nick Saban was never known for defense.

BC's defense passed the stats test last year and initially pass the eyeball test this year with 8 of their starters. We could have played much better, but this might be the best defense we face all year.