Possible D Staff

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I know it can be learned -- guys make a living as a quarterback guru who never played beyond HS -- but if Marshall is to improve as a passer I don't think Candeto is the guy. It was not his strength before Johnson or playing for him. It is asking too much of him in that regard. Seems to me we will be the same in '18 offensively as in '17 with Marshall, and decent passing has to come from somebody else. Just decent. It's all I ask. Decent. Maybe a bit less than decent. Maybe ...

Other than being a “skeptic”...on what do you base your evaluation of Candeto???

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'll believe Paul Johnson is serious about something other than calling plays on Saturdays in the Fall when he gets rid of even one of his Navy guys. 5 of the 9 assistants are ex-Navy coaches or players. Until, then he is just running a Good Ol' Boys Club.

He would not let Groh hire even one assistant, and he only let Roof hire one. Gotta protect the Good Ol' Boys Club. Johnson was hired by the old farts on the athletic board because he was a throw back to what the old farts thought a coach should be. They got their wish. Johnson wasn't who Radakovich wanted, and I knew Radakovich was gone when he was stabbed in the back by Clough and overruled by the old fart board.

I don't want to hear Johnson's whining about needing money when over $4 million/year is going out the door to Johnson and his buddies for mediocre results. Show consistently good results and the money will come.

On a related subject, Sewak makes more than McCollum. It pays to be in the Club.

Yeah. The rules and fundamentals of football are completely different at Tech than they were at Navy. None of those Navy bastards have a clue how to coach at Tech....(y):rolleyes:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with your statement as a whole but would add that others that have the fruits of the factory schools ( that could out perform their recruiting) would never come here with one hand tied behind their back. Atl produced a legit list as most people on here act like Paul is the only answer. I defend PJ because he wants to be here and question how many that could do it here would do it here. Everyone in the sports media love Saban and Meyer. Those two would only consider around 5 or less programs and I suggest that many many others would never consider Tech . In addition to not considering coming here, they would consider it as career suicide. I dont have any answers to the problems that we face but trust that our new coordinator will be an improvement over Ted and that PJ will stay restless. PJ can be called many things but passive is not one of them. This message was a response to Augusta Jacket.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So.. I clearly came to the wrong place. Clicked this thread and saw there were 7 new pages of comments. I was convinced I’d be reading breakdowns of our (still hopefully) new DC and his assistants he’ll be bringing, but instead read through a bunch of whining about our offense and HC?

I know that some of our posters can not handle their disdain for our HC (which baffles me) but can’t you all keep that garbage in your own threads? The rest of us are excited to discuss the possibilities of a new DC not rehash old and stale arguments about your misalignment with the philosophy of CPJ. He has won some big games while here, kept our players clean and graduating and done nothing to bring discredit to the Institute in recruiting/player development/actions off the field. All things HC should and are measured against.

I believe we have been missing (for a variety of reasons) the type of aggressive, assertive defense that it seems Woody will bring. I’m interested to hear more from the fonts here about what they project Woody will install, and who he’ll bring/hire as assistants to help TEACH the changes he seems likely to bring. Which is why I clicked on the “Possible D Staff” thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Can't GT just go ahead and make it official by announcing Woody already? Perhaps the announcement has been delayed because there is a ongoing and heated debate about which neck tie has the right shade of gold or what decibel is vocal chords should hit when screaming THWG!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree with your statement as a whole but would add that others that have the fruits of the factory schools ( that could out perform their recruiting) would never come here with one hand tied behind their back. Atl produced a legit list as most people on here act like Paul is the only answer. I defend PJ because he wants to be here and question how many that could do it here would do it here. Everyone in the sports media love Saban and Meyer. Those two would only consider around 5 or less programs and I suggest that many many others would never consider Tech . In addition to not considering coming here, they would consider it as career suicide. I dont have any answers to the problems that we face but trust that our new coordinator will be an improvement over Ted and that PJ will stay restless. PJ can be called many things but passive is not one of them. This message was a response to Augusta Jacket.

Spot on. I've never said CPJ is the only answer for GT, just that I believe he is one of the best answers for GT. I also hope our new DC will be an improvement over CTR. I just hope that as a fanbase we give him time to make his changes and get his system implemented. I am on record saying that I think that we were going to see more improvement on D even when it looked like CTR might be coming back, and I still believe that to be true. Woody might drastically escalate that improvement, or we might suffer a slight dip as we transition. I think we will be somewhere towards the drastic escalation end of the spectrum, but I'll be patient if the latter occurs. And yes, even if we threw $10 million at Saban, I doubt he'd come to GT.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Can't GT just go ahead and make it official by announcing Woody already? Perhaps the announcement has been delayed because there is a ongoing and heated debate about which neck tie has the right shade of gold or what decibel is vocal chords should hit when screaming THWG!

Yeah. I wish they'd go ahead and announce as well, but hopefully it won't be much longer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Spot on. I've never said CPJ is the only answer for GT, just that I believe he is one of the best answers for GT. I also hope our new DC will be an improvement over CTR. I just hope that as a fanbase we give him time to make his changes and get his system implemented. I am on record saying that I think that we were going to see more improvement on D even when it looked like CTR might be coming back, and I still believe that to be true. Woody might drastically escalate that improvement, or we might suffer a slight dip as we transition. I think we will be somewhere towards the drastic escalation end of the spectrum, but I'll be patient if the latter occurs. And yes, even if we threw $10 million at Saban, I doubt he'd come to GT.

I too hope our new DC is the answer. Unfortunately, Woody's fate will be tied to CPJ's fate. Even if Woody improves our defense, and for the sake of discussion, improves it to the 30's or 40's, but GT finishes with a losing record again it could spell the end of CPJ's time here. That would be 3 losing seasons in 4 years. Overall, 10 years is a LONG time in coaching these days, and after that much time the message gets lost with players and recruits.

With the investments being made by TStan into improving football from all angles, and CPJ's buyout decreasing at the end of 2018, I'm not so sure T Stan wouldn't like to just start over with "his" guy...whoever that guy is.

Personally, I'd like to see us have another 2014 type bounceback season where our offense is humming at elite levels, but this time we'll have a top 30ish defense to go with it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I too hope our new DC is the answer. Unfortunately, Woody's fate will be tied to CPJ's fate. Even if Woody improves our defense, and for the sake of discussion, improves it to the 30's or 40's, but GT finishes with a losing record again it could spell the end of CPJ's time here. That would be 3 losing seasons in 4 years. Overall, 10 years is a LONG time in coaching these days, and after that much time the message gets lost with players and recruits.

With the investments being made by TStan into improving football from all angles, and CPJ's buyout decreasing at the end of 2018, I'm not so sure T Stan wouldn't like to just start over with "his" guy...whoever that guy is.

Personally, I'd like to see us have another 2014 type bounceback season where our offense is humming at elite levels, but this time we'll have a top 30ish defense to go with it.

Agree on all points. I have more confidence in CPJ correcting the O than ANYONE correcting the D at this point, though. (Don't take this as a swipe against Woody, as I think he has the ability to be very successful here long term.) If Woody can just get the D in the top 50, and CPJ can get the O humming again, I think we win 8-9 games next year.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree on all points. I have more confidence in CPJ correcting the O than ANYONE correcting the D at this point, though. (Don't take this as a swipe against Woody, as I think he has the ability to be very successful here long term.) If Woody can just get the D in the top 50, and CPJ can get the O humming again, I think we win 8-9 games next year.
To me this is the biggest reason why we have missed bowl games as of recent. We are not a stable program. CPJ seems to be trying his best to get it there but he may not. our highs have been great but our lows are extremely disappointing. I would like to be more consistent around the 9 game mark. I know that leaves us a low margin of error because we have Clemson and UGA every year but hey I'd rather play them then play weak teams year in and year out. Had we beaten Tenn and Miami good chance gameday would have considered the Clemson game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Cutcliffe
Dantonio
Ferentz
Taggart
Heupel
Patterson

Cutcliffe has not even came close to the success. He’s had 1 ACCCG, no orange bowls, and under .500 wining percentage.

Ferentz has coached 9 years longer at Iowa than CPJ at GT and still has 1 less conference championship game played. (I’d say they are pretty close though)

Taggart had 1 good season at south Florida and doesn’t even come close to playing the same competition GT plays. And Oregon has way better recruiting than the 40’s.

Heupel has never been a head coach and 2018 will be his first year as one.

Patterson has had 4 classes in the 20’s since CPJ has been at GT and is currently 20 in recruiting this year so he will more than likely have 5 since CPJ has been at GT after this year.

There is only one guy in the group you mentioned that you can argue has had the success of CPJ and that’s Ferentz. And even then you could argue CPJ has had more success. But my point is CPJ is one of the best in the business. There’s a reason he’s doing something at GT that most other coaches haven’t even done at other schools.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There is only one guy in the group you mentioned that you can argue has had the success of CPJ and that’s Ferentz. And even then you could argue CPJ has had more success. But my point is CPJ is one of the best in the business. There’s a reason he’s doing something at GT that most other coaches haven’t even done at other schools.

Bill Snyder at KSU is the closest comparison, IMO.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

He was asked when an announcement would be made about the hire of Woody

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Cutcliffe has not even came close to the success. He’s had 1 ACCCG, no orange bowls, and under .500 wining percentage.

Ferentz has coached 9 years longer at Iowa than CPJ at GT and still has 1 less conference championship game played. (I’d say they are pretty close though)

Taggart had 1 good season at south Florida and doesn’t even come close to playing the same competition GT plays. And Oregon has way better recruiting than the 40’s.

Heupel has never been a head coach and 2018 will be his first year as one.

Patterson has had 4 classes in the 20’s since CPJ has been at GT and is currently 20 in recruiting this year so he will more than likely have 5 since CPJ has been at GT after this year.

I wouldn't discount Cutcliffe's accomplishments at Duke. Duke was a disaster zone when Cutcliffe took over, and now he's gotten them to a point they're making Bowl games regularly, and they're recruiting well. Duke was nowhere near the situation CPJ walked into.

David Shaw is in his 7th season at Stanford taking over for Jim Harbaugh. He's doing a really good job there.

Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern has a done a REALLY good job there. He hasn't won a B1G championship, but he's also not playing with a full deck of cards just like GT.

Just running names off the top of my head without really digging into it...