Possible D Staff

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I go by Wikipedia. Record is what counts. Wins vs losses. I don't care how individual units rank vs other teams and how many times they had the ball vs our time of possession against p5 teams that play at 12 noon on every other weekend. How many wins did we have vs how many losses. So far he is mediocre and he's going on his 4th DC in 10 yrs. I'm rooting for woody, like I did roof, grogh, and Womack to be ultasuccessful. Lost trust in the captain.
I debunked your comments about our offense and now you say you don’t care about anything but wins and losses? The conversation between you and I was strictly about offense. The point still stands, the offense isn’t the issue as you were making it out to be. But if you want to talk about him as a head coach, we can do that too.

Can you show me another coach that has guys in the 40’s in recruiting and has done what he has with championship games, and orange bowls? Actually he’s probably been more successful that about 80 percent of other coaches, I’d say being in the top 20 percent is pretty good. The issue is, we as fans can have unrealistic expectations at times, and Hays not saying we should settle for mediocre (which GT has not been under CPJ). We have a very very good coach, I’ll even say great and yet we want to complain. Any coach that can coach kids up to the point of ACCCG’s and orange bowls and not even brake the top 30 in recruiting is a heck of a coach, and idk if there is another coach in the country that gets more out of his guys than he does. Can you name any?

If you’ve lost trust it should be above CPJ imo, he hasn’t been able to hire guys he wanted to, only has 8 support staff members (2nd smallest of acc) , bottom half of funding in all of power 5 schools, out dated locker room ect. This is all stuff that affects GT athletics. Sometimes you have to look beyond the surface.

I debunked your comments about our offense and now you say you don’t care about anything but wins and losses? The conversation between you and I was strictly about offense. The point still stands, the offense isn’t the issue as you were making it out to be. But if you want to talk about him as a head coach, we can do that too.

Can you show me another coach that has guys in the 40’s in recruiting and has done what he has with championship games, and orange bowls? Actually he’s probably been more successful that about 80 percent of other coaches, I’d say being in the top 20 percent is pretty good. The issue is, we as fans can have unrealistic expectations at times, and Hays not saying we should settle for mediocre (which GT has not been under CPJ). We have a very very good coach, I’ll even say great and yet we want to complain. Any coach that can coach kids up to the point of ACCCG’s and orange bowls and not even brake the top 30 in recruiting is a heck of a coach, and idk if there is another coach in the country that gets more out of his guys than he does. Can you name any?
Not really, I never referred to our offensive ranking. I showed you how the Team ranked in the top 25 3 years out of ten. You are pulling some ranking system about how tech's offense ranked and that is great if that is all that counts, but it is a team game not just offense. No one is arguing that while at Tech we have decent offensive rushing ranking. That is only a quarter of the story. We have had as many losing seasons as we have been ranked in recognized team polls in the last ten years.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not really, I never referred to our offensive ranking. I showed you how the Team ranked in the top 25 3 years out of ten. You are pulling some ranking system about how tech's offense ranked and that is great if that is all that counts, but it is a team game not just offense. No one is arguing that while at Tech we have decent offensive rushing ranking. That is only a quarter of the story. We have had as many losing seasons as we have been ranked in recognized team polls in the last ten years.
Our comments originally were about offense though. Maybe not yours with other posters but ours was. You said the offense won’t change, blocking and passing will still be an issue, and I followed it up with how good our offense actually has been.

So can you name me another coach with success of CPJ with recruiting classes in the 40’s? That in itself should tell you he’s a good coach. Do you think 2nd smaller acc staff, bottom half funding in power 5 football, being with Russell, having about half the majors your competitors have, and a super out dated locker room affects recruiting, which would ultimately affect on field performance? If so that goes way beyond CPJ. He normally gets more out of his players for what their recruiting rankings would indicate, idk how we can blame him when we see things like this. JMO I respect yours though.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

If you’ve lost trust it should be above CPJ imo, he hasn’t been able to hire guys he wanted to, only has 8 support staff members (2nd smallest of acc) , bottom half of funding in all of power 5 schools, out dated locker room ect. This is all stuff that affects GT athletics. Sometimes you have to look beyond the surface.

Coaching is not the issue. Recruiting and institutional support of the program is the issue. Bear Bryant in his prime could not win consistently with the kind of restraints and handicaps placed on our coaches.

slugboy

Staff member
How did this become about the offense again?

I don’t know. I’d like to hear an announcement in the next couple of days. Do we have bios on some of the people that Woody has worked with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Johnson lovers are praying this guy works out. The offense isn't changing. Blocking will still be a issue, passing will still be an issue. They can't say if only we can get a couple stops a game we will roll. That happened this year continually. Pray Johnson lovers because this is his last DC hire. We will not get another chance to hire a 6th.

So does that mean we can hire a 5th first? Cause Woody will only be the 4th hire.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
3 times we've finished in the top 25 since Paul has arrived. 22, 13, 7. So you're kind of right. 22 was with fingers Gomers kids. So, really only two times with his own players. So you mean two as in multiple times?

I don't get this. We don't credit CPJ for finishing in the top 25 in 2009 because he was using Gaileys players? It seems like we would give him MORE credit for finishing in the top 25 with guys NOT RECRUITED for the system...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Cutcliffe
Dantonio
Ferentz
Taggart
Heupel
Patterson

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Cutcliffe
Dantonio
Ferentz
Taggart
Heupel
Patterson

Other than Cutcliffe, that's a good list. Duke plays a really weak SoS to get most of their wins. I'd add Bill Snyder at Kansas State to the list though. The OPs point still stands, though. There are only a handful of coaches out there capable of getting this kind of success out of their mid level recruiting classes.