Possible D Staff

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
CPJ is 1-4 against unranked UGA teams. He’s the only coach since Dodd to have the luxury of playing that many crap UGA teams and he crapped the bed against them.

O’Leary would’ve whipped all of those teams.

BS. And I’m a big fan of O’Leary. And Oleary did what CPJ has done. Beat UGA with less talent than the mutts had multiple times. But he would be the first to admit UGA was the more talented team every year back then and is currently too. He did admit that every year he knew he’d have at least two games he shouldn’t win. He refused to name the teams but you didn’t have to be Einstein to figure it out.

Only exception I will concede is 2009. When I *think* we were more talented but managed to lose anyway. That game and...’97?? (Brooking and Roger’s senior year) were painful,

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
BS. And I’m a big fan of O’Leary. And Oleary did what CPJ has done. Beat UGA with less talent than the mutts had multiple times. But he would be the first to admit UGA was the more talented team every year back then and is currently too. He did admit that every year he knew he’d have at least two games he shouldn’t win. He refused to name the teams but you didn’t have to be Einstein to figure it out.

Only exception I will concede is 2009. When I *think* we were more talented but managed to lose anyway. That game and...’97?? (Brooking and Roger’s senior year) were painful,
1991 was very painful:vomit:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Other than being a “skeptic”...on what do you base your evaluation of Candeto???
I acknowledge a part of it is skepticism that a Johnson QB based on Navy and GT, anyway, actually knows the mechanics and fundamentals of throwing a football well enough to teach them. It is one of those specialized skills that, like FG kicking, looks simple until you try it. (Clemson's Bryant against Alabama, in his 14th game as a starter, still was opening up and stepping into the throw late, and the pass rush had nothing to do with it. He is simply mechanically flawed, they have not been able to iron it out, and Swinney has a difficult decision to make next spring. But he is paid enough and fortunately for him he has a deep if young stable.) His stats with Johnson actually looked about par, throwing 10-12 times a game and as a senior he got better than 1,100 yards and almost 50%. But a total of 230 passes in two seasons doesn't give me confidence. (Not to mention that the run and shoot portion seems predicated on the idea of getting it close to a one-on-one receiver and he must find a way to catch it, and I wonder if he had that trouble of throwing the very deep ball.)

On the other hand I stumbled over this interesting piece that, if you are not a stickler for details, details, is interesting. Has some gaps but among my discoveries was that he scored six TDs against Army in 2003, Johnson's second year, which I did not know. (So those complaining about Marshall hanging on to the ball, take note.)

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082803aaa.html

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Interest in the sport at his school? More fans at high school games? Being the ACC equivalent to Kentucky in terms hoops being 1st, 2nd and 3rd at Duke?

These are good points. I was also thinking of being one of 4 (versus 2) major FB teams in a state that has nowhere near the quantity of D1 talent that Ga. has. And in a state whose educational system is about on par with Ga's. So, Duke has its own issues and challenges. Let me be the first to say that this not an either/or scenario. I recognize that GT has its own. These things are not mutually exclusive.

But I would say (and it will not be well received) the current Duke coach has done a better job "moving the needle" at his program than ours has. Duke FB is at its highest level since Spurrier left.Perhaps he has had more support from his admin than Paul has had until recently? we will see going forward.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
These are good points. I was also thinking of being one of 4 (versus 2) major FB teams in a state that has nowhere near the quantity of D1 talent that Ga. has. And in a state whose educational system is about on par with Ga's. So, Duke has its own issues and challenges. Let me be the first to say that this not an either/or scenario. I recognize that GT has its own. These things are not mutually exclusive.

But I would say (and it will not be well received) the current Duke coach has done a better job "moving the needle" at his program than ours has. Duke FB is at its highest level since Spurrier left.Perhaps he has had more support from his admin than Paul has had until recently? we will see going forward.
The needle has more potential to move when it starts on empty.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The needle has more potential to move when it starts on empty.

as a fan base, we are adept at rationalizing the success of other programs and identifying reasons why they can be successful. But when we look at our own, all we see are reasons why we can't. This imo makes the GT coaching and AD job somewhat easier than it might otherwise be.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
as a fan base, we are adept at rationalizing the success of other programs and identifying reasons why they can be successful. But when we look at our own, all we see are reasons why we can't. This imo makes the GT coaching and AD job somewhat easier than it might otherwise be.
So my statement is false? If it is true is it irrelevant? Is rationalizing the same as supporting a point with facts?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So my statement is false? If it is true is it irrelevant? Is rationalizing the same as supporting a point with facts?

The way to answer your own questions would be to randomly select a college FB that had no emotional ties to either school. Pick a knowledgeable fan of Texas or Ohio State or whomever. Ask that person which school is better positioned to do well in FB and why? I think FB tradition, proximity to talent and not splitting a smaller state with 3 other schools would tilt the scales in Tech's favor.

I think GT has many more advantages vs. Duke and is thus the "better" job for a FB coach But, of course, I, and most of us who read/post here are biased in some way or another. I would like to hear what Coach Roof would have to say on this topic. He would have more insight than anyone else.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the money is there. GT just needs a better way of asking for it, or give donors a better reason to give it. If you don't believe me: Brock Indoor Facility, McCamish Paviillion, Zelnak Basketball Center, etc. GT gets the money when it needs to. In fact, GT got an indoor facility in Atlanta before UGA got one out in the cow paddies.

Posters more tied into the program have alluded to the fact that GT the school works against GT the Athletics Dept in terms of raising funds. If that's the case, GT the school is only hurting itself.
BUD EFFING PETERSEN

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like a bunch of the App State guys that stayed behind are getting promotions, FWIW. The ILB and DB coaches are being named co-DCs.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Looks like a bunch of the App State guys that stayed behind are getting promotions, FWIW. The ILB and DB coaches are being named co-DCs.
I suppose those type positions are only as strong as the weakest link and the two coaches ability to communicate, drive, and compromise with one another. The toughest part maybe if the team isn't playing well on defense and the finger pointing ☝️ starts.