Possible D Staff

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I'll believe Paul Johnson is serious about something other than calling plays on Saturdays in the Fall when he gets rid of even one of his Navy guys. 5 of the 9 assistants are ex-Navy coaches or players. Until, then he is just running a Good Ol' Boys Club.

He would not let Groh hire even one assistant, and he only let Roof hire one. Gotta protect the Good Ol' Boys Club. Johnson was hired by the old farts on the athletic board because he was a throw back to what the old farts thought a coach should be. They got their wish. Johnson wasn't who Radakovich wanted, and I knew Radakovich was gone when he was stabbed in the back by Clough and overruled by the old fart board.

I don't want to hear Johnson's whining about needing money when over $4 million/year is going out the door to Johnson and his buddies for mediocre results. Show consistently good results and the money will come.

On a related subject, Sewak makes more than McCollum. It pays to be in the Club.

What a load of made up horse dung. Just twist stuff around to fit your view. Everyone knows you don't like CPJ. I cant remember the last time you posted something normal without your typical stab at the coaching staff. Your posts never add anything of value to the conversation You are the first person I have put on ignore.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think most hc's will sour with their dc when the defense is as bad as wommacks last year or allows records to be set against us (groh). Roof was here the longest of cpj's dc's, and I think its because it was the best of tbr group. But when you have persistent fundamental errors (poor tackling) and consistently give up points in 2 min situations, you're not going to earn praise from your boss.

Cpj isn't running off top performing dc's because of a personality clash
I agree that CTR has been the best DC that we have had under CPJ.

Johnson lovers are praying this guy works out. The offense isn't changing. Blocking will still be a issue, passing will still be an issue. They can't say if only we can get a couple stops a game we will roll. That happened this year continually. Pray Johnson lovers because this is his last DC hire. We will not get another chance to hire a 6th.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Johnson lovers are praying this guy works out. The offense isn't changing. Blocking will still be a issue, passing will still be an issue. They can't say if only we can get a couple stops a game we will roll. That happened this year continually. Pray Johnson lovers because this is his last DC hire. We will not get another chance to hire a 6th.
You are aware he has had two top 5 finishes and multiple top 25 finishes on offense while at GT right?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'll believe Paul Johnson is serious about something other than calling plays on Saturdays in the Fall when he gets rid of even one of his Navy guys. 5 of the 9 assistants are ex-Navy coaches or players. Until, then he is just running a Good Ol' Boys Club.

He would not let Groh hire even one assistant, and he only let Roof hire one. Gotta protect the Good Ol' Boys Club. Johnson was hired by the old farts on the athletic board because he was a throw back to what the old farts thought a coach should be. They got their wish. Johnson wasn't who Radakovich wanted, and I knew Radakovich was gone when he was stabbed in the back by Clough and overruled by the old fart board.

I don't want to hear Johnson's whining about needing money when over $4 million/year is going out the door to Johnson and his buddies for mediocre results. Show consistently good results and the money will come.

On a related subject, Sewak makes more than McCollum. It pays to be in the Club.
Upset, are you?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I thought with Groh that all his previous staff was still at UVA or otherwise employed when he was hired.

A lot of CPJs old Navy buddies are doing well now.

I think DRad was gone as soon as Clemson said “Hi! You busy right now?”

I guess the new D staff talk is probably settling down for a few days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If memory serves DRad actually contacted Clemson after a visit there -- maybe a game? -- and told whomever that if they ever made a change he would like to be considered. And then the guy who made the in hindsight brilliant hire of Swinney retired. Bingo.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Everybody knows Naval Academy graduates are lazy bums and that the only way they ever get jobs is knowing somebody.
Also, everybody knows DRad must have just known somebody at Clemson, because that's how Clemson rolls too. It couldn't have been because Clemson was so impressed by the extremely successful new head coach hire he just made who just beat them 3 times in a row (twice in one season to win the ACC).
Everybody knows CPJ and staff are working with the exact same resources as the Clemsons, UGA's, and Bama's of the world and should be producing results on par with them. And, if he does think there's a way to compete with them better, he just needs to keep his mouth shut and suck it up rather than trying to actually make our program better and more competitive.
Come on, it's common sense people. Simple logic.
o_O:cautious:
DRad has a tiger by the tail -- literally. He has arguably one of the top three coaches in the country, maybe the best football program in the country, a rabid fan base, and a coach very popular with that base. He knows he can't lose him and the culture he has instilled, and so he will gulp and give him what he wants. Swinney has all the leverage and DRad is just fortunate that his coach extends his "all in" culture to his relationship with the administration. If he decided to hold him up, then what would be the limit since the school president already is on the record as saying they won't lose a money battle for him. So the AD is both sitting pretty and on a balance beam.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Very true since CPJ is focusing on retirement when his current contract is up! He will be 64! Could he be talked into another one or two years, maybe.... But he is going to retire after his time at Tech and if he has a great season in 2019 or 2020 (ACC title or OB) I would put money on he retires on top! So when he does go, we need to hope that DC Woody(is a hit)so he can take the reigns!!

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Very true since CPJ is focusing on retirement when his current contract is up! He will be 64! Could he be talked into another one or two years, maybe.... But he is going to retire after his time at Tech and if he has a great season in 2019 or 2020 (ACC title or OB) I would put money on he retires on top! So when he does go, we need to hope that DC Woody(is a hit)so he can take the reigns!!
If CPJ retires from GT after another highly successful season, we won't be giving the reigns to Woody. GT's success will reaffirm CPJ's offensive system and I would think we would reach out to Ken N. (Navy), Todd M. (Army), or Brian B. (KSU).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As long as Woody hired CPJ as his offensive coordinator lol

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ retires from GT after another highly successful season, we won't be giving the reigns to Woody. GT's success will reaffirm CPJ's offensive system and I would think we would reach out to Ken N. (Navy), Todd M. (Army), or Brian B. (KSU).

I think GT would also reach out to App State head coach Scott Satterfield and James Madison head coach Mike Houston(n)

You are aware he has had two top 5 finishes and multiple top 25 finishes on offense while at GT right?
3 times we've finished in the top 25 since Paul has arrived. 22, 13, 7. So you're kind of right. 22 was with fingers Gomers kids. So, really only two times with his own players. So you mean two as in multiple times?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
3 times we've finished in the top 25 since Paul has arrived. 22, 13, 7. So you're kind of right. 22 was with fingers Gomers kids. So, really only two times with his own players. So you mean two as in multiple times?
I go by FEI because it’s an equalizer when every team doesn’t have the same amount of possessions. It’s how efficient your offense was. So our offense has been pretty efficient.

2008:24th idc if it’s not his players. This whole “wasn’t his players” thing is nonsense.
2009:2
2011:16
2012:11
2014:3
2016:21
2017:23 (before UGA)
That’s 6 Times (not counting this year) that our offense has been in the top 25 efficiency in the country. Please show me another team with this success that’s not a factory school. You can twist it all you want but these are facts, you literally have no proof that our offense isn’t good. A matter of fact the evidence goes against your beliefs, so you have came up with an opinion and making it fact. Instead you should be looking at the facts and making an opinion from that. Now, if you don’t like CPJ that’s fine, but let’s not act as if his offense is the issue just because we don’t like him.

GTFLETCH

Banned

Yea you are correct, their is no way if Woody comes in and coaches up the defense to a level not seen yet in the CPJ era would ever get a look. No way Woody could hire an OC to run an Option based system and Tech have Woody as Coach..

Problem with this is that while you are correct in that Ken N. (Navy), Todd M. (Army), or Brian B. (KSU) will be considered if Woody produces a Defense desired by CPJ that 4 other guys could not, TStan will give him a look also! I would agree with you that GT will want the next Coach to stick with an option based system. But I to say Woody would not get considered is pretty far fetched!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yea you are correct, their is no way if Woody comes in and coaches up the defense to a level not seen yet in the CPJ era would ever get a look. No way Woody could hire an OC to run an Option based system and Tech have Woody as Coach..

Problem with this is that while you are correct in that Ken N. (Navy), Todd M. (Army), or Brian B. (KSU) will be considered if Woody produces a Defense desired by CPJ that 4 other guys could not, TStan will give him a look also! I would agree with you that GT will want the next Coach to stick with an option based system. But I to say Woody would not get considered is pretty far fetched!
GT should also interview Jacksonville State head football coach John Grass or Troy head football coach Neal Brown when they have to look for the next head football coach

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Going a bit off topic, but while we are talking about staff I've always wondered about Sewak. Sometimes, like a lot of fans, I feel like he isn't pulling his weight. He's paid a good amount and doesn't seem to justify it in coaching or recruiting. The lines have a history of "missed assignments" that seem to be more of a result of coaching, which resulted in the hiring of Coach West.

All this being said, he's been around the offense longer than any other OL coach in the country. In theory, he's the best one for the job. Maybe he just has difficulty communicating his concepts? Is there a way to retain him as a consultant with less responsibilities and hire someone who is a potentially better coach and recruiter? Lastly, to touch again on recruiting, he's listed as lead recruiter on 247 for 8 total commits over the years. For comparison, 247 credits McCollum with 42 people.

I go by FEI because it’s an equalizer when every team doesn’t have the same amount of possessions. It’s how efficient your offense was. So our offense has been pretty efficient.

2008:24th idc if it’s not his players. This whole “wasn’t his players” thing is nonsense.
2009:2
2011:16
2012:11
2014:3
2016:21
2017:23 (before UGA)
That’s 6 Times (not counting this year) that our offense has been in the top 25 efficiency in the country. Please show me another team with this success that’s not a factory school. You can twist it all you want but these are facts, you literally have no proof that our offense isn’t good. A matter of fact the evidence goes against your beliefs, so you have came up with an opinion and making it fact. Instead you should be looking at the facts and making an opinion from that. Now, if you don’t like CPJ that’s fine, but let’s not act as if his offense is the issue just because we don’t like him.
I go by Wikipedia. Record is what counts. Wins vs losses. I don't care how individual units rank vs other teams and how many times they had the ball vs our time of possession against p5 teams that play at 12 noon on every other weekend. How many wins did we have vs how many losses. So far he is mediocre and he's going on his 4th DC in 10 yrs. I'm rooting for woody, like I did roof, grogh, and Womack to be ultasuccessful. Lost trust in the captain.