Possible D Staff

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I've been so on and off the board lately and try not to get dragged into these offseason debates that repeat themselves every year, but I'll bite today.

Paul Johnson's GT record is 76-54. You don't get to cherry pick 8 of his 10 years, or only count FBS games, or whatever ridiculous criteria you want to choose to make your point. His four best years are 11 wins, 11 wins, 9 wins, and 9 wins. He has led GT to three ACC championship appearances, won an ACC title, beaten UGAg three times in an era when they are far better than they were under Donnan, and has wins against 4 (off the top of my head) top-5 teams.

George O'Leary's GT record was 52-32. His four best years were 10 wins, 9 wins, 8 wins, and 7 wins. He did not win an ACC title game. He beat UGAg three times, as well. He had one top-5 win.

I loved O'Leary. He was great for GT at the time. Some of his best players could not get into GT today.

I cannot convince you to love Paul Johnson. You won't, no matter what results GT football experiences. But your arguments are illogical, biased, not supported by facts, and not shared by most on this board who understand Georgia Tech football, football in general, and the landscape of college football in 2017.

Happy New Year!
Thank you!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ gets the edge over O'Leary, but you also have to consider:

O'Leary took over a dumpster fire at GT after Lewis, and had a winning record in his 2nd year. He did win an ACC title, GT was Co-Champion in 1998. GT also came in tied for 2nd in the ACC twice in an era before conference championship games...so there's a very good chance GT would have played for the ACC Championships in 1999 and/or 2000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference_football_champions

CPJ walked into a team with a LOT of future NFL draft picks, and a team that already had a long bowl streak going. I'm not taking anything away from 2008 and 2009, and CPJ deserves every bit of credit for coaching those guys to 9 and 11 wins, but the circumstances were totally different for CPJ and OLeary.

That's fair. Although it's tough to claim that co-championship when we got smoked by FSU. We very well may have played FSU again in the title game in 98 and 99, but I doubt the result would have been different.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been so on and off the board lately and try not to get dragged into these offseason debates that repeat themselves every year, but I'll bite today.

Paul Johnson's GT record is 76-54. You don't get to cherry pick 8 of his 10 years, or only count FBS games, or whatever ridiculous criteria you want to choose to make your point. His four best years are 11 wins, 11 wins, 9 wins, and 9 wins. He has led GT to three ACC championship appearances, won an ACC title, beaten UGAg three times in an era when they are far better than they were under Donnan, and has wins against 4 (off the top of my head) top-5 teams.

George O'Leary's GT record was 52-32. His four best years were 10 wins, 9 wins, 8 wins, and 7 wins. He did not win an ACC title game. He beat UGAg three times, as well. He had one top-5 win.

I loved O'Leary. He was great for GT at the time. Some of his best players could not get into GT today.

I cannot convince you to love Paul Johnson. You won't, no matter what results GT football experiences. But your arguments are illogical, biased, not supported by facts, and not shared by most on this board who understand Georgia Tech football, football in general, and the landscape of college football in 2017.

Happy New Year!

O’Leary had a better winning percentage. He inherited a program on par with Rice and turned them into a top 25 team. He beat three top 25 Ugag teams. He did better with his own recruits than his predecessors.

Johnson took over an average program, got some immediate results, recruited slaw, and has the program in worse shape then how he found it. He lost to multiple historically crappy Ugag teams and blew a chance to end their bowl streak. He let Duke pass us by!!! He lost to the worst Tennessee team in their entire history!

It’s night and day. CPJ can’t carry George’s jock as a HC or Friedgen’s as an OC.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
O’Leary had a better winning percentage. He inherited a program on par with Rice and turned them into a top 25 team. He beat three top 25 Ugag teams. He did better with his own recruits than his predecessors.

Johnson took over an average program, got some immediate results, recruited slaw, and has the program in worse shape then how he found it. He lost to multiple historically crappy Ugag teams and blew a chance to end their bowl streak. He let Duke pass us by!!! He lost to the worst Tennessee team in their entire history!

It’s night and day. CPJ can’t carry George’s jock as a HC or Friedgen’s as an OC.

Lol. If you think the UGAg teams O'Leary beat were better than than the ones CPJ beat, and that CPJ has the program in worse shape than it was under CCG, I don't know what to tell you.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m not discrediting cutcliffe, I was just saying he hasn’t done as well as CPJ.

Cutcliffe has beaten GT 3 out of the last 4. Some of us older guys never thought we would live to see GT lose 3 out of 4 to Duke. Some of you will respond that Duke has majors in which to hide athletes. Well, guess what? They always have. Even when we would beat them 10 out of 11 or so with players required to take calculus. Somehow Cutcliffe has changed the paradigm at his school. Some guys overcome obstacles. Others can't.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol. If you think the UGAg teams O'Leary beat were better than than the ones CPJ beat, and that CPJ has the program in worse shape than it was under CCG, I don't know what to tell you.

CPJ is 1-4 against unranked UGA teams. He’s the only coach since Dodd to have the luxury of playing that many crap UGA teams and he crapped the bed against them.

O’Leary would’ve whipped all of those teams.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is 1-4 against unranked UGA teams. He’s the only coach since Dodd to have the luxury of playing that many crap UGA teams and he crapped the bed against them.

O’Leary would’ve whipped all of those teams.

Hahahahaha!

CPJ is 2-3 against ranked UGAg teams. See how I just made up some useless statistic to prove my point, too?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Cutcliffe has beaten GT 3 out of the last 4. Some of us older guys never thought we would live to see GT lose 3 out of 4 to Duke. Some of you will respond that Duke has majors in which to hide athletes. Well, guess what? They always have. Even when we would beat them 10 out of 11 or so with players required to take calculus. Somehow Cutcliffe has changed the paradigm at his school. Some guys overcome obstacles. Others can't.
What obstacles does Cutcliffe have?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
And I really don't want to keep comparing O'Leary and Johnson. I loved O'Leary when he was here, and I love CPJ now. Both had faults, and both have to be accountable. Both faced obstacles, and both had successes. I believe CPJ's accomplishments at GT are greater than O'Leary's were.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
And I really don't want to keep comparing O'Leary and Johnson. I loved O'Leary when he was here, and I love CPJ now. Both had faults, and both have to be accountable. Both faced obstacles, and both had successes. I believe CPJ's accomplishments at GT are greater than O'Leary's were.
Just think what Bobby Ross may have accomplished if he would have stayed at the Flats instead of going to San Diego;)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Yep, and they play in an equally hard conference lol. You mention Duke passing us, but can I ask you a question? Did Duke ever make an ACCCG while O’Leary coached at GT? Was Clemson the powerhouse they are now? Did O’Leary ever face a top 5 or so SOS? Come on, O’Leary played 5 really really really really bad teams every year. Duke, NC state, Maryland, wake forest and Clemson. Those teams are way worse than any power 5 team GT plays now. In 7 years O’Leary played 22 teams that ended the season below .500 (acc teams). That happened less times under CPJ with an extra 3 years of coaching, so let’s not kid ourselves that it’s even close to being the same type of competition. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just think what Bobby Ross may have accomplished if he would have stayed at the Flats instead of going to San Diego;)

And that's part of the reason I think CPJ will be, and should be on GT's Mount Rushmore. I don't blame Ross for trying the NFL. I don't blame O'Leary for wanting to go to ND. But CPJ is going to stay here until he's done, or until he wins big. And I love that. He knows the challenge he's facing, and wants to prove it can be done at GT. I don't believe most coaches would have stayed this long, fought uphill while being hamstrung so much, and taken as much crap from a fan base as CPJ has.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He may have beat us 3 out of 4 years but he hasn’t had overall better success. I’m not talking about head to head.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Cutcliffe has beaten GT 3 out of the last 4. Some of us older guys never thought we would live to see GT lose 3 out of 4 to Duke.
Hmmmmmm. Apparently, you aren't old enough. I can remember Tech playing Duke when they had Mike Curtis (yes, that Mike Curtis) on their team and when beating Duke was a highlight of our season. Then they went into a long dry spell (except for Spurrier) until recently. I always thought the right coach would win at Duke and that the rivalry would get back to what it was in the late 50s and early 60s.

Mind, I was hoping that would never happen and that we'd cream them every year; I hate Duke almost as much as I hate Ugag or Tennessee. But it's back on and we have to adjust.

Oh, and Coach's record against Duke at Tech is … wait for it … 7 - 2. Well, perhaps we shouldn't get so upset about that, nicht wahr?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmmm. Apparently, you aren't old enough. I can remember Tech playing Duke when they had Mike Curtis (yes, that Mike Curtis) on their team and when beating Duke was a highlight of our season. Then they went into a long dry spell (except for Spurrier) until recently. I always thought the right coach would win at Duke and that the rivalry would get back to what it was in the late 50s and early 60s.

Mind, I was hoping that would never happen and that we'd cream them every year; I hate Duke almost as much as I hate Ugag or Tennessee. But it's back on and we have to adjust.

Oh, and Coach's record against Duke at Tech is … wait for it … 7 - 2. Well, perhaps we shouldn't get so upset about that, nicht wahr?
And GT in 1957 beat a Duke team 13-0 that went to the Orange Bowl to play Oklahoma and had NFL hall of famer Sonny Jurgensen at Quarterback.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Nothing before APR counts, bro. :)