Possible D Staff

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1. psu- lost 4 in first year after paterno. NAVY scored 7. The psu team only lost to ranked teams and their opener. .
2. Auburn - 10 losses in 3 years.
3. Some say he had little to do with record at 1 and 2.
4. In 2012 Coach said he had enough success at 1 2 so I hired him.
5. After a long run at gt, Coach let him find a job.

Looking above:5 says that 4 may have been wrong which means you sir are "now " proven to be very likely correct.

My point is with the last 3 seasons being rated as terrible, good, bad; the offense better be all in if the defense has a dip during the transition. Folks will be adjusted if we have a 18 at all like 17.

I already ike this Woody guy as he is willfully taking a risk by getting he can do well. Coach is at a point that will be remembered in his legacy at gt. He went with safe with Groh and what appeared to be safe with Groh. Now with coach W he is also willfully taking a risk on a guy who never has been at a power 5 team.
I think it is great,. I think we will do well in 18 and if o line is some what good.
If the ol is crisp, we should finish very good.
He coaches at PSU 1 year and inherited a already very good D. At Auburn he had a TON of talent and still didn’t brake a top 30 D. That’s not success to me, idc what the records where. Football is more than just D, so a record shouldnt be used to reflect how good a D is. Also he wasn’t CPJ’s first choice. I do agree we will do good in 18, and I’m super excited about Woody coming to GT.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He coaches at PSU 1 year and inherited a already very good D. At Auburn he had a TON of talent and still didn’t brake a top 30 D. That’s not success to me, idc what the records where. Football is more than just D, so a record shouldnt be used to reflect how good a D is. Also he wasn’t CPJ’s first choice. I do agree we will do good in 18, and I’m super excited about Woody coming to GT.
Has there been any kind of announcement that this guy has been hired, or is the board ahead of itself? Or do we even know? It has gone from rumor, to conviction, to fact. But how do we know? I mean, I pick at guys for already deciding his lineup, but do we really know? And since I am a sucker, too, a question: does Woody coach from the field, or the pressbox? Doggone it, a coach coaches and yelling at an assistant on the phone to yell at a player isn't coaching. I want them on the field with the players.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Has there been any kind of announcement that this guy has been hired, or is the board ahead of itself? Or do we even know? It has gone from rumor, to conviction, to fact. But how do we know? I mean, I pick at guys for already deciding his lineup, but do we really know? And since I am a sucker, too, a question: does Woody coach from the field, or the pressbox? Doggone it, a coach coaches and yelling at an assistant on the phone to yell at a player isn't coaching. I want them on the field with the players.
Kelly Q and Ken S have both said it’s pretty much a done deal. And he coaches from the field if I’m not mistaken:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would say right now defense or ST. Candeto and Johnson both work with the QBs so you may run into a "too many cooks" situation. I also think we should give Candeto another season and see what happens. TaQuan made huge strides from third stringer QB to starter. Jay Jones, Lucas Johnson, and KirVonte also made big jumps imo. If Johnson or Marshall stagnate and passing does not improve then I think we should start tinkering, but you've got to give the guy more than one year.
I know it can be learned -- guys make a living as a quarterback guru who never played beyond HS -- but if Marshall is to improve as a passer I don't think Candeto is the guy. It was not his strength before Johnson or playing for him. It is asking too much of him in that regard. Seems to me we will be the same in '18 offensively as in '17 with Marshall, and decent passing has to come from somebody else. Just decent. It's all I ask. Decent. Maybe a bit less than decent. Maybe ...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is what you want right?

11B8D925-B4BB-4B72-99D0-64B4EE31D717.jpeg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Kelly Q and Ken S have both said it’s pretty much a done deal. And he coaches from the field if I’m not mistaken:
Okay. If I could figure out that idiotic AJC web page -- every newspaper in the country has sworn they are going digital but only the Washington Post and NYT have a clue about how to do it -- I can read Ken's stuff. I can never find it. Just one blog after another blog and 17 crime and puff piece pictures on the opening screen. Thanks.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is what you want right?

View attachment 3229
I don't know how you guys find that stuff, particularly so quickly, but yes. Hire the guy. (I once read a piece about Bobby Knight, a guy I personally abhor for a lot of reasons, honesty being one of them, but he once called all his first half timeouts in the first four or five minutes. Because when he saw a problem he wanted it fixed, now, and not wait for a TV timeout. Now. So yes.) Unless, of course, they are all in the pressbox.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how you guys find that stuff, particularly so quickly, but yes. Hire the guy. (I once read a piece about Bobby Knight, a guy I personally abhor for a lot of reasons, honesty being one of them, but he once called all his first half timeouts in the first four or five minutes. Because when he saw a problem he wanted it fixed, now, and not wait for a TV timeout. Now. So yes.) Unless, of course, they are all in the pressbox.
I just googled his name and went to photos lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.myaj...e-coordinator/SgoeWhNRSvKDliFRH6qLTO/amp.html

See if you can read this.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
FWIW, which isn't very much, CJT was a press box guy, so that's not a necessary condition for a good defense at GT. I don't care one way or another if the DC is on the field. Most probably aren't; most OC's either. Venables and Foster are on the field though, so there you go.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'll believe Paul Johnson is serious about something other than calling plays on Saturdays in the Fall when he gets rid of even one of his Navy guys. 5 of the 9 assistants are ex-Navy coaches or players. Until, then he is just running a Good Ol' Boys Club.

He would not let Groh hire even one assistant, and he only let Roof hire one. Gotta protect the Good Ol' Boys Club. Johnson was hired by the old farts on the athletic board because he was a throw back to what the old farts thought a coach should be. They got their wish. Johnson wasn't who Radakovich wanted, and I knew Radakovich was gone when he was stabbed in the back by Clough and overruled by the old fart board.

I don't want to hear Johnson's whining about needing money when over $4 million/year is going out the door to Johnson and his buddies for mediocre results. Show consistently good results and the money will come.

On a related subject, Sewak makes more than McCollum. It pays to be in the Club.

slugboy

Staff member
I'll believe Paul Johnson is serious about something other than calling plays on Saturdays in the Fall when he gets rid of even one of his Navy guys. 5 of the 9 assistants are ex-Navy coaches or players. Until, then he is just running a Good Ol' Boys Club.

He would not let Groh hire even one assistant, and he only let Roof hire one. Gotta protect the Good Ol' Boys Club. Johnson was hired by the old farts on the athletic board because he was a throw back to what the old farts thought a coach should be. They got their wish. Johnson wasn't who Radakovich wanted, and I knew Radakovich was gone when he was stabbed in the back by Clough and overruled by the old fart board.

I don't want to hear Johnson's whining about needing money when over $4 million/year is going out the door to Johnson and his buddies for mediocre results. Show consistently good results and the money will come.

On a related subject, Sewak makes more than McCollum. It pays to be in the Club.

I thought with Groh that all his previous staff was still at UVA or otherwise employed when he was hired.

A lot of CPJs old Navy buddies are doing well now.

I think DRad was gone as soon as Clemson said “Hi! You busy right now?”

I guess the new D staff talk is probably settling down for a few days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

If it makes you feel better, Sewak wasn't with PJ at Navy when he came here. The guys who were however who have left have been extremely successful. Also, wasn't Speed the only defensive guy who came from Navy? The rest were hired along the way or already at Tech and retained by PJ. Not sure what your point is actually. The QB coach that we just had for 3 years prior to the one we have now wasn't from Navy. Two of our Navy assistants have left to become extremely successful head coaches and one of our OL coaches isn't from Navy. Doesn't sound as much like the good ol boys club when you look at the whole picture.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think what happens is that CPJ gives his DC a little more autonomy then the offense and that usually sets up for tension when things do not go the way the HC thinks it out to.. I think being DC for CPJ would be a great as you are the "Head Coach" for the D. However this has never worked and it seems that the relationship gets sour.

As far as CTR goes, I think TStan agreed with the change or it would not happen as CTR and TStan and Pat Swilling all have history. Also the way in which it was done tells me they tried to make the change as amiable as possible.

I am only guessing but I think why CTR is gone is his anability to make adjustments with his defense. I am sure CPJ, TStan and Pat Swilling all said WTF, get the best players on the field (3-4) or change up your 4-2-5... CTR didn't think he could or should...

My only concern with this change is recruiting as I think CTR really has helped Tech improve its recruiting, while I think Nate Woody will bring scheme change I am all about keeping as many Position Coaches to keep the positive trend in recruiting.... But I am sure CPJ has a handle on this!
What role does Pat Swilling have in the program?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

Everybody knows Naval Academy graduates are lazy bums and that the only way they ever get jobs is knowing somebody.
Also, everybody knows DRad must have just known somebody at Clemson, because that's how Clemson rolls too. It couldn't have been because Clemson was so impressed by the extremely successful new head coach hire he just made who just beat them 3 times in a row (twice in one season to win the ACC).
Everybody knows CPJ and staff are working with the exact same resources as the Clemsons, UGA's, and Bama's of the world and should be producing results on par with them. And, if he does think there's a way to compete with them better, he just needs to keep his mouth shut and suck it up rather than trying to actually make our program better and more competitive.
Come on, it's common sense people. Simple logic.
o_O:cautious:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I just wish for once you would tell us how you really feel about PJ. Wow, think what our record could have been (probably 100 and 0 if PJ had not brought any of his Navy staff with him) with all of your preferred assistants. And to think, I was giving DRad all the credit for PJ being here and your inside information has bursted that bubble. Now I also gave him 100% credit for our probation! It is also a little funny to me that the two people that should have been upset with not having the ability to bring in their people should have been Groh and TR. Funny it wasn't their complaint but yours. I know it may seem that I am picking on you this morning but I have discovered I am dangerous with a key pad after a long night and too much caffeine the next morning. We probable can only agree on one thing (THWG)! Thank goodness for gtswarm and the freedom to speak our minds (ever how small they are). Happy New Year to all!

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
I think most hc's will sour with their dc when the defense is as bad as wommacks last year or allows records to be set against us (groh). Roof was here the longest of cpj's dc's, and I think its because it was the best of tbr group. But when you have persistent fundamental errors (poor tackling) and consistently give up points in 2 min situations, you're not going to earn praise from your boss.

Cpj isn't running off top performing dc's because of a personality clash

GTFLETCH

Banned

To be fair....
Bryan Cook was never at Navy
Mike Sewak was never at Navy
Ron West was never at Navy
Andy McCollum was never at Navy
Wommack, Groh, Roof, Woody were never at Navy
Al Preston was never at Navy
Mike Pelton was never at Navy

Lamar Owens & Craig Candeto played at Navy for CPJ but never coached at Navy

So that brings us to Joe Speed and B. Bohannan:

B. Bohannan was at Georgia Southern with CPJ starting n 1997 and was with CPJ at Navy... Head Coach at KSU
Joe Speed played of CPJ at Navy in Mid 90s... Started Coaching at Navy 2 years before CPJ took HC job, and has been with the coach ever since...

So I guess Joe Speed and CPJ have a tight Good Ole Boy system.. add in Owens and the recent hire of Candeto (since Cook left for Southern) and wow... I guess we have a serious problem..SMH