Possible D Staff

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
So do we get a turnover beehive or something?

pooh-hunny.jpg

Sticky honey for sticky hands.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
With everything else we get caught up in during the offseason, this info right here is the most important! Stansbury seems to get it. Bad news is the rest of our major rivals are three steps ahead of us in this stuff already. But at least we're trying to level the playing field now.
It's better to be one step from hell walking away from it than a 1000 miles from hell walking toward it;)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If this change in philosophy comes about, new guys are needed to implement it QUICKLY and well.Doubtful our present guys can do that.
Then it probably comes down to recruiting capability.Who has ties now in areas and has the skill to close the deal. (unlike those 2 Germans that we lost at end)

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's a very interesting supposition!

You know, if you listen to the call in show, Paul is constantly talking about how the offense missed their assignments. He's constantly saying something like "we had a big play but we left the X unblocked and he blew up the play." Over and over we hear that stuff. If Paul had an OC under him, that guy would be catching hell about not being able to fix that. But I wonder if part of it is that practicing against Roof's conventional defense doesn't prepare our guys for anything unusual. I agree with the original poster. If Woody throws all kinds of stuff at the offense, maybe they'll have a better idea of who to block in a game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You know, if you listen to the call in show, Paul is constantly talking about how the offense missed their assignments. He's constantly saying something like "we had a big play but we left the X unblocked and he blew up the play." Over and over we hear that stuff. If Paul had an OC under him, that guy would be catching hell about not being able to fix that. But I wonder if part of it is that practicing against Roof's conventional defense doesn't prepare our guys for anything unusual. I agree with the original poster. If Woody throws all kinds of stuff at the offense, maybe they'll have a better idea of who to block in a game.

True. Everybody's always talking about how the offense gives the D trouble by forcing it to practice against the 3O.

Maybe the real problem came in the O being forced to practice against a vanilla a**, bend-then-break a** defense all year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think we keep Pelton & Speed and just add one extra App State coach with woody (I think it is Brown??) and it look like this... This takes the tenth spot.... IF Woody brings two you could just replace Ivey for Pelton...

Defensive Coordinator/OLB: Woody
ILB:Mac (Stays Recruiting Coordinator)
DL: Pelton
CB: Brown
Safeties: Speed

Offensive Coaches:
QBs/B-Backs: Candet0
A-Backs/Special Teams: Owens
WRs: Preston
Offensive Line: Sewak
Co-Offensive Line: West

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think we keep Pelton & Speed and just add one extra App State coach with woody (I think it is Brown??) and it look like this... This takes the tenth spot.... IF Woody brings two you could just replace Ivey for Pelton...

Offensive Coaches:
Hopefully Coach Woody will App State DL coach Mark Ivey with him to GT

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Offensive Coaches:
Please no..... I would much rather have it like this.

DC and OLB coach: Woody
DL: Ivey
Mac can be ILB or safeties and the 10th coach can take which ever spot MAC isn’t.

Plus Woody will be able to pick his own staff.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
As said Woody is a done deal. As for his potential staff I’ve heard 2 names from his App St staff that may be coming. Ivey the D-Line coach and Brown the Corner coach. I’ve also heard we will have a spot for Andy Mac and he may get a title change and raise. I like these 2 guys from App. Brown recruits GA and is very well respected in the state. I love the Woody hire. This is the type of D Johnson has wanted and a perfect match with our O.
This has likely been covered, I am not as active here as I used to be.

But, can anyone explain how CPJ has gone through 4 d coordinators (If I count Kelly) and none have implemented what he has eventually asked for? Coach has even repeatedly taken to flat out telling the media what he wants to see from the defense. I don't think he would do that unless he wasn't getting the changes he wanted by the direct route. It has been bizarre to me that these D Coordinators have seemed to let themselves lose their jobs by NOT listening to CPJ. How often has he had to say, "If you can't get pressure with 3, you bring 4," 5, 6, etc. Are all these guys egos so massive that they prefer to fail on their own terms then let CPJ see you fail doing what he wants?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

On the first part, not likely. The problems that CPJ identified typically have to do with missed assignments not getting beat. That suggests mental errors, lack of focus (injury, hurt, fatigue etc)

When we practice during the season, the scout D runs what we expect to see not Roof's D.

GTFLETCH

Banned

But, can anyone explain how CPJ has gone through 4 d coordinators (If I count Kelly) and none have implemented what he has eventually asked for? Coach has even repeatedly taken to flat out telling the media what he wants to see from the defense. I don't think he would do that unless he wasn't getting the changes he wanted by the direct route. It has been bizarre to me that these D Coordinators have seemed to let themselves lose their jobs by NOT listening to CPJ. How often has he had to say, "If you can't get pressure with 3, you bring 4," 5, 6, etc. Are all these guys egos so massive that they prefer to fail on their own terms then let CPJ see you fail doing what he wants?

I think what happens is that CPJ gives his DC a little more autonomy then the offense and that usually sets up for tension when things do not go the way the HC thinks it out to.. I think being DC for CPJ would be a great as you are the "Head Coach" for the D. However this has never worked and it seems that the relationship gets sour.

As far as CTR goes, I think TStan agreed with the change or it would not happen as CTR and TStan and Pat Swilling all have history. Also the way in which it was done tells me they tried to make the change as amiable as possible.

I am only guessing but I think why CTR is gone is his anability to make adjustments with his defense. I am sure CPJ, TStan and Pat Swilling all said WTF, get the best players on the field (3-4) or change up your 4-2-5... CTR didn't think he could or should...

My only concern with this change is recruiting as I think CTR really has helped Tech improve its recruiting, while I think Nate Woody will bring scheme change I am all about keeping as many Position Coaches to keep the positive trend in recruiting.... But I am sure CPJ has a handle on this!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

I think part of it is getting an earful from each side. Be aggressive, bring pressure if you can't get there with 4, but also don't give up big plays, don't leave holes in the secondary, but don't also let guys run past you, etc. Bosses typically want it all without making trade-offs. But aside from that, he has given a lot of autonomy, and regardless of which trade-offs have been made, none has managed to do better than OK.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I think what happens is that CPJ gives his DC a little more autonomy then the offense and that usually sets up for tension when things do not go the way the HC thinks it out to.. I think being DC for CPJ would be a great as you are the "Head Coach" for the D. However this has never worked and it seems that the relationship gets sour.

As far as CTR goes, I think TStan agreed with the change or it would not happen as CTR and TStan and Pat Swilling all have history. Also the way in which it was done tells me they tried to make the change as amiable as possible.

I am only guessing but I think why CTR is gone is his anability to make adjustments with his defense. I am sure CPJ, TStan and Pat Swilling all said WTF, get the best players on the field (3-4) or change up your 4-2-5... CTR didn't think he could or should...

My only concern with this change is recruiting as I think CTR really has helped Tech improve its recruiting, while I think Nate Woody will bring scheme change I am all about keeping as many Position Coaches to keep the positive trend in recruiting.... But I am sure CPJ has a handle on this!
Basically what I heard from an"insider". Swilling was not a happy camper at the end of the season. If we're gonna suck, at least let the more athletic young guys play to get experience.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

I’m not disagreeing that the relationship never worked but the DC still reports to the HC and when your boss tells you to do something you better listen. Ultimately CPJ is the one responsible for the whole football program. While he gives the DC a good amount of autonomy he still needs to listen when he’s asked to bring more pressure. Personally, watching us play live as well as the breakdowns our fundamental reads seemed off or often slow. I think we have obliviously way better players than App state. We face tougher competition. But with a new coaching regime and a defense that won’t just sit back and let the offense dictate brings me a lot of hope. I do think if we are more disruptive and get the other offense behind the chains we will be way more competitive. We were dead last in sacks and had 1 player on the TFL list in the ACC. We were letting the offense take it to us.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I’m not disagreeing that the relationship never worked but the DC still reports to the HC and when your boss tells you to do something you better listen. Ultimately CPJ is the one responsible for the whole football program. While he gives the DC a good amount of autonomy he still needs to listen when he’s asked to bring more pressure. Personally, watching us play live as well as the breakdowns our fundamental reads seemed off or often slow. I think we have obliviously way better players than App state. We face tougher competition. But with a new coaching regime and a defense that won’t just sit back and let the offense dictate brings me a lot of hope. I do think if we are more disruptive and get the other offense behind the chains we will be way more competitive. We were dead last in sacks and had 1 player on the TFL list in the ACC. We were letting the offense take it to us.
The Duke game was strange. Roof seemed to go back to his old failing pattern of 1st half vanilla/2nd half telegraphed pressure. It's almost as if CPJ left him alone and let him put the final nail in his coffin. I know that sounds Machiavellian, and hard to believe CPJ would sabotage his own team for the Duke game, though.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Not only has it not worked... We are on our 5th DC (If you count Kelly)!!! I hope Woody will be different, but history tells us after three years with CPJ, the DC relationship often sours.. It is what it is!! However we may be able to make a run in the ACC within the next two years with all the talent we have brought in!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's hope that history repeats itself. When Roof left before to go to Duke and O'Leary brought in Edsall, the defense saw improvement right away. Maybe it's just my gold colored glasses, but I thought all year that we had pretty good talent on defense. They just never put it together for an entire game unless the other team really stunk offensively. For several years now, it seemed like we either got a three and out or the other team scored. The reduced number of turnovers since 2014 has been a back breaker.

The only reason I can see that Roof would not change his style of defense even after CPJ told him to was that he is like CPJ. He's going to win or die with his scheme. He must have had that much faith in his methods. Glad to see the change.