Poll: Who is Our Starter Opening Night?

Who is Our Starter Opening Night vs Tennessee?

• Matthew Jordan

Votes: 88 25.8%
  • TaQuon Marshall

Votes: 201 58.9%
  • Lucas Johnson

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Jay Jones

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Chase Martenson

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would love to be surprised and, like others, will respect whoever the coach chooses because they have earned it. But what I expect is that MJ starts. CPJ is usually loyal to guys who have earned the job in the past. He may, however, let him play one series or so and if the offense does not execute well put in the guy that he really likes, which could be Jones or Johnson.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have a suspicion that we will see MJ to start and have him play two or three series steady hand at the jump and allows him to see where the D is going.

Then we will really see what's what. I have a feeling, like many posters above, that if MJ isn't moving with ease we will see one of TM or LJ depending on what the D is giving us. I also suspect we will be running up the gut with the BBacks for some old school integrity plays. CPJ is going to want to use our OL and I think we will stay away from a lot of pitches or rocket toss plays if a young gun is under center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
I would love to be surprised and, like others, will respect whoever the coach chooses because they have earned it. But what I expect is that MJ starts. CPJ is usually loyal to guys who have earned the job in the past. He may, however, let him play one series or so and if the offense does not execute well put in the guy that he really likes, which could be Jones or Johnson.

So you think ANY coach will let a starter play 1 series and then pull him in the first and one of the biggest games of the year?
Wow. Some of you are football dumb.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
Lets say that happens, then what?
We put in #2, he stalls.
put in #3, he stalls.
Do we go back to #1? go to #4? Forfeit? Kneel it?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's why we got that fancy indoor facility.. right? Hah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, you have a good point. I agree if it is the only place we practice. Would make sense to practice the starter at Grant Field or indoors. Easier security. And the backup outside for the world to see.

So you think ANY coach will let a starter play 1 series and then pull him in the first and one of the biggest games of the year?
Wow. Some of you are football dumb.

I said two series so I'm only half football dumb. (tic) But my gripe with the orthodoxy of football is that QBs aren't changed like pitchers who aren't doing well. I guess it's because baseball players have tougher egos.

Lets say that happens, then what?
We put in #2, he stalls.
put in #3, he stalls.
Do we go back to #1? go to #4? Forfeit? Kneel it?

Actually, I'd only go from 1 to 2 and then back to 1 again. It's too hard to get 3 QBs ready for the game with the limited practice snaps and reps with other players. (I know you know that but did I make it to 1/4 stupid? Just kidding, it's raining here and I'm bored.)

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
Yup, you have a good point. I agree if it is the only place we practice. Would make sense to practice the starter at Grant Field or indoors. Easier security. And the backup outside for the world to see.

I said two series so I'm only half football dumb. (tic) But my gripe with the orthodoxy of football is that QBs aren't changed like pitchers who aren't doing well. I guess it's because baseball players have tougher egos.

Actually, I'd only go from 1 to 2 and then back to 1 again. It's too hard to get 3 QBs ready for the game with the limited practice snaps and reps with other players. (I know you know that but did I make it to 1/4 stupid? Just kidding, it's raining here and I'm bored.)

I was talking to Northeast Stinger
IMO, pitchers are easily rattled and cant throw strikes, its all on them. QB's can hand it off or screen passes etc.. to help.
I'm at work and bored.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
Honest question: are you another relative or close friend of MJ?

Welcome to the board btw

Thanks and No.

Just don't get why he was good enough to recruit, touted for his passing and play making ability, did his job last year and now he is 3rd string or even switching positions in some eyes.
I understand the missed reps, but even CPJ has said "Matthew is Matthew. I know what he can do".
He has played this competition to a T. If you are really honest, do you think TM is a better passer? Not from what I have seen.
CPJ will not start a FR. That leaves 2.

Milwaukee

Banned
Thanks and No.

Just don't get why he was good enough to recruit, touted for his passing and play making ability, did his job last year and now he is 3rd string or even switching positions in some eyes.
I understand the missed reps, but even CPJ has said "Matthew is Matthew. I know what he can do".
He has played this competition to a T. If you are really honest, do you think TM is a better passer? Not from what I have seen.
CPJ will not start a FR. That leaves 2.

Agree about the freshman part, I'm not actually expecting JJ to start. I think deep down PJ trusts MJ to not shoot us in the foot.

I don't care who starts, honestly.
Let's not kid yourself and think CPJ will pull any QB after a series or 2.
Gotta stick with your guy.

Same here.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I voted for Martenson......because I can. Truth is, I could care less. I just want to win. It could be any of the six and it really doesn't matter. This is not an episode of the Batchelor. Unlike many, I recognize that I have not been there to watch practice and scrimmages etc etc and we are breaking in a new guy. Any speculation by me is less than worthless. Bottom line, if our number is at least one more than theirs come midnight Labor Day, I'm happy.

I don't care who starts, honestly.
Let's not kid yourself and think CPJ will pull any QB after a series or 2.
Gotta stick with your guy.
CPJ watches each and every play. When he came to Tech, a guy from Annapolis said get ready for some anxious first halves. CPJ is trying this, trying that, figuring out how the opponent is defending what we do. He has an extensive playbook. When he sees what doesn't work, he comes up with something that does. This is going to be the most significant opener of his tenure. Lights, camera, action.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
M J was hurt in spring and in camp. Dont we have to have more than one game ready to go spare qb until the durability of m j is proven. Coach has practiced like the two back ups better be ready.

Imo m j has an injury that can not be really tested in increments and if reinjured would likely be season ending. Coach values m j for the season and will get him on the field as soon as he feels confident.
My j has been here long enough that when he is on the sideline watching the game and the play calls , he will be highly effective when he goes in.

My guess was LJ start and then bring in m j while the q b coaches help him review issues. Half time Coach can keep um guessing.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is was "MJ's job to lose". Now it is, we are not telling. I think that speaks volumes. If it was MJ, I think CPJ would name him. CPJ was even saying things like " MJ is better in pad". Even that went away. So far MJ has not scrimmaged except the first series in the first scrimmage.

I hope MJ does well and root for him. I do think it will be someone else... not that I am rooting for anyone... I love the sleuthing and the possibilities.