Poll: Who is Our Starter Opening Night?

Who is Our Starter Opening Night vs Tennessee?

• Matthew Jordan

Votes: 88 25.8%
  • TaQuon Marshall

Votes: 201 58.9%
  • Lucas Johnson

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Jay Jones

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Chase Martenson

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he know 100 % who's going to play. And maybe he wouldn't let his starter get hit in practice, but I guarantee his starter would be getting reps with a no contact jersey. You don't play scared and say I can't play this guy because of what grade he's in. The best player will get to be the starter. Many teams have played a freshman in HUGE games. For the record I don't think one of the freshmen start.

Its apple and oranges but I know for a fact JT didn't wear a non contact jersey in practice last year and didn't get hit, when he practiced that is.
You think these kids are scared? c'mon man. They wouldn't be at this level if that was the case. That is middle school stuff.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMO, experience could be a big factor in this case ... national TV, lots of pre-game hype, Top 25 opponent from rival conference.
That's why starting TM is unsettling, but again IMO, I think TM is going to be more ready to play than MJ.
I get it's a big game, but any coach will tell you, you don't play scared. You don't decide who's the starter based on a fear, you play the best guy. If you don't, you are settling for less with a lower upside.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
I get it's a big game, but any coach will tell you, you don't play scared. You don't decide who's the starter based on a fear, you play the best guy. If you don't, you are settling for less with a lower upside.

who are you referring to as scared?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Its apple and oranges but I know for a fact JT didn't wear a non contact jersey in practice last year and didn't get hit, when he practiced that is.
You think these kids are scared? c'mon man. They wouldn't be at this level if that was the case. That is middle school stuff.
I didn't say anything about the guys play scared lol? Where did you get that from? My point in saying you let him wear a no contact jersey was to say you don't let them get hit. wether he wears a no contact jersey or not is irrelevant, and I was making that statement towards yours saying why would he let his starter get hit. I was saying he will get reps regardless, you don't not practice a guy because you don't want him getting hit.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn't say anything about the guys play scared lol? Where did you get that from? My point in saying you let him wear a no contact jersey was to say you don't let them get hit. wether he wears a no contact jersey or not is irrelevant, and I was making that statement towards yours saying why would he let his starter get hit. I was saying he will get reps regardless, you don't not practice a guy because you don't want him getting hit.

Gotcha. I misread it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think it makes a big difference in their defensive game planning. If they were 100% sure MJ was starting, they would be watching VT film and preparing for a lot of QB follows, midline, etc. If they were sure TM or JJ was starting, they would be watching JeT film. And if they were sure LJ was starting, I think they might dig up some VL film.

Yes, we'll still run a lot of our base plays no matter who's under center. But each of our QBs brings unique skills.

Good point but I think that some of the points you mentioned are more focused on anticipating what plays CPJ may call due the skills set of the QB. CPJ will no doubt try to counter their moves as well through calling plays they don't anticipate. Also calls will be made based on what we are effective running. I agree it can have an impact but it is hard for me to see that it is a big one, but maybe so.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
QB? who cares...
what about the K? We need FG's
I think we win or loss 2-3 games by a missed or made FG.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
...TM... Kid can fly, not pass very well. I think he needs to be AB.

I've said this before, and I can't read CPJ's mind, but I bet he would LOVE to have one of the two redshirt freshmen (JJ or LJ) to at least be QB2. Then he could move the other one to AB or WR and redshirt TO. In a perfect world, MJ would've been QB1 (might still be), with a redshirt freshman at QB2. TM could go to AB, and TO spends the season as QB3 (who still redshirt as one of the other QBs would step in if we needed a third). Or TM be QB1 and MJ go to AB and goal line QB (he's done it before).

So many options!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
TM is a true Junior, who played AB his freshman year. LJ and JJ are RS-Fresh. All three of these guys have spent the same amount of time under center (with the exception of 1 spring). So, the difference between TM and LJ isn't practice experience.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
TM is a true Junior, who played AB his freshman year. LJ and JJ are RS-Fresh. All three of these guys have spent the same amount of time under center (with the exception of 1 spring). So, the difference between TM and LJ isn't practice experience.
But was LJ and JJ getting the same reps as TM last year? TM was the third string so he got reps running our O. JJ and LJ were probably more scout team guys that didn't get a lot of reps running our offense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I went with TM since he's got the most work and done the best in scrimmages.

If it's MJ, I'll be calling for TM after 2 series :sneaky: ..... starting MJ and coaching TM up on the nuances of the D for the first two series isn't a bad idea (IMHO since it's mine).

Regardless of who it is if he screws up and can't handle the stage, bring in the next man and screw the ballerina ego concerns.

I understand your frustration but if fans close to the program are clueless then just imagine what it would be like for Tennessee's defensive coordinator. ........

I would be very surprised if UT doesn't have a way to get video of our practices from a window or drone (repeat comment). They will know who is getting the most snaps and that should be the starter.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I went with TM since he's got the most work and done the best in scrimmages.

If it's MJ, I'll be calling for TM after 2 series :sneaky: ..... starting MJ and coaching TM up on the nuances of the D for the first two series isn't a bad idea (IMHO since it's mine).

Regardless of who it is if he screws up and can't handle the stage, bring in the next man and screw the ballerina ego concerns.

I would be very surprised if UT doesn't have a way to get video of our practices from a window or drone (repeat comment). They will know who is getting the most snaps and that should be the starter.

That's why we got that fancy indoor facility.. right? Hah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk