Poll: Who is Our Starter Opening Night?

Who is Our Starter Opening Night vs Tennessee?

• Matthew Jordan

Votes: 88 25.8%
  • TaQuon Marshall

Votes: 201 58.9%
  • Lucas Johnson

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Jay Jones

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Chase Martenson

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I went with TM since he's got the most work and done the best in scrimmages.

If it's MJ, I'll be calling for TM after 2 series :sneaky: ..... starting MJ and coaching TM up on the nuances of the D for the first two series isn't a bad idea (IMHO since it's mine).

Regardless of who it is if he screws up and can't handle the stage, bring in the next man and screw the ballerina ego concerns.

I would be very surprised if UT doesn't have a way to get video of our practices from a window or drone (repeat comment). They will know who is getting the most snaps and that should be the starter.
Of all the guys on here, you should be in heaven. A true platoon scenario is forced upon CPJ.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Lets say that happens, then what?
We put in #2, he stalls.
put in #3, he stalls.
Do we go back to #1? go to #4? Forfeit? Kneel it?
You are very literal, aren't you.

No. I think CPJ will let his quarterback with proven experience start. If the offense is stalling, due to the quarterback, rather than the line or other people missing assignments, then he will put in a more explosive quarterback. Just my opinion.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't see CPJ starting a freshman in game 1 if he has a capable upper classman. He has the balls to do it but history says no. Tevin over Days - Lee over Thomas. I don't think MJ is ready - still hurting and not enough reps. I believe it will be TM. But I'm with others, I don't care who starts - just play well. I do believe though that if one of the freshmen continue to learn, they will get a chance sometime this year if there is any hiccup at all. CPJ usually wants to see if he can win with his OL/ABs etc with the safe bet QB early in the year. TM is the safe bet assuming MJ just hasn't had enough reps and possibly still hurting.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would love to be surprised and, like others, will respect whoever the coach chooses because they have earned it. But what I expect is that MJ starts. CPJ is usually loyal to guys who have earned the job in the past. He may, however, let him play one series or so and if the offense does not execute well put in the guy that he really likes, which could be Jones or Johnson.
I don't think CPJ has been loyal to those who have won the job in the past. If they played that wasn't the reason, it was because they were the best. Mills over Marshall is an example.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't get the whole thing of he will not play a freshman, or he will play the most experienced because of the big stage, but then he can change QB's after the big stage game. If you've played football you know the best player at that position should be on the field, it doesn't matter what grade he is in. If it's a freshman who's the best with reads, pitches, throwing ect then so be it, and if not then ok. I want the best QB on the field no matter who it is. Experience should not outweigh playing ability. That's basically saying let's put the less talented guy on the field and hopefully we win, because we are scared of fumbles, int's ect. We are scared of possibilitys at that point, and scared of something that can happen to any QB. That's just playing it safe, and it's hard to win a game that way, especially when you are playing a talented team in UT. You need the guy on the field who is the best and let him do his thing. I can all but guarantee CPJ will put the best guy in without being scared of what MIGHT happen. Don't forget there has been plenty of unproven, no experience guys play for teams and ball out. BTW I don't think a freshman will start, but it if one does that means he was the best.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't get the whole thing of he will not play a freshman, or he will play the most experienced because of the big stage, but then he can change QB's after the big stage game. If you've played football you know the best player at that position should be on the field, it doesn't matter what grade he is in. If it's a freshman who's the best with reads, pitches, throwing ect then so be it, and if not then ok. I want the best QB on the field no matter who it is. Experience should not outweigh playing ability. That's basically saying let's put the less talented guy on the field and hopefully we win, because we are scared of fumbles, int's ect. We are scared of possibilitys at that point, and scared of something that can happen to any QB. That's just playing it safe, and it's hard to win a game that way, especially when you are playing a talented team in UT. You need the guy on the field who is the best and let him do his thing. I can all but guarantee CPJ will put the best guy in without being scared of what MIGHT happen. Don't forget there has been plenty of unproven, no experience guys play for teams and ball out. BTW I don't think a freshman will start, but it if one does that means he was the best.
Experience has a tremendous effect on execution. It doesn't matter your ability/skill if you can't execute it in games. Unfortunately, we only have real-game-data on one guy. (a tiny bit with TM, too, but it's so small, it's negligible.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I suspect your complaint hinges on an equivocation over the word, "best." When others suggest that a more experienced guy will start over a less experienced guy who may have more talent, they are saying that they expect that the more experienced guy would be best for the big stage, even if not the best in the abstract.

While CPJ has not said much about LJ, one thing that he repeated some since the spring is the need to improve his confidence--which is the exact opposite of what we've heard about MJ over the last few years.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Experience has a tremendous effect on execution. It doesn't matter your ability/skill if you can't execute it in games. Unfortunately, we only have real-game-data on one guy. (a tiny bit with TM, too, but it's so small, it's negligible.)
100% experience has a huge affect of execution, but the best guy will obviously be the one with the best execution. My point is, experience doesn't outweigh the best player.The best player is going to be the best at execution.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I suspect your complaint hinges on an equivocation over the word, "best." When others suggest that a more experienced guy will start over a less experienced guy who may have more talent, they are saying that they expect that the more experienced guy would be best for the big stage, even if not the best in the abstract.

While CPJ has not said much about LJ, one thing that he repeated some since the spring is the need to improve his confidence--which is the exact opposite of what we've heard about MJ over the last few years.
I don't think LJ will be starting. And I don't think we can use the big stage as a determining factor for who the best is, experience or not. Yea, it's a big stage but it's still just another game we all want GT to win. I want whoever the best would be on another stage, that's who the best player is. I think we are putting to much into this "big stage" thing. Plenty of guys have balled out with little to no experience on the big stage. I do get it matters some, but not to the extent some are making it out to be.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think LJ will be starting. And I don't think we can use the big stage as a determining factor for who the best is, experience or not. Yea, it's a big stage but it's still just another game we all want GT to win. I want whoever the best would be on another stage, that's who the best player is. I think we are putting to much into this "big stage" thing. Plenty of guys have balled out with little to no experience on the big stage. I do get it matters some, but not to the extent some are making it out to be.

So, you're saying that even if you know that someone else would give us the better chance of winning in a particular game, that you would play the guy you think is better overall?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
100% experience has a huge affect of execution, but the best guy will obviously be the one with the best execution. My point is, experience doesn't outweigh the best player.The best player is going to be the best at execution.
I say start the experienced guy, then play the newb later on in the game when there's less pressure, assuming that happens, or if the starter falls flat. Then, if he "balls out", you go from there.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So, you're saying that even if you know that someone else would give us the better chance of winning in a particular game, that you would play the guy you think is better overall?
No, I don't think a guy that's not the best would give us a better chance to win over the better player. I want the best QB on the field. And I don't think we can say, we know a lesser player would give us a better chance to win over the better player just because of experience. That's just making assumptions. Also, I'm not saying the most experienced guy won't start. Idk who it will be, I just want the best guy out there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No, I don't think a guy that's not the best would give us a better chance to win over the better player. I want the best QB on the field. And I don't think we can say, we know a lesser player would give us a better chance to win over the better player just because of experience. That's just making assumptions. Also, I'm not saying the most experienced guy won't start. Idk who it will be, I just want the best guy out there.

OK, I appreciate you. By the way, I agree with you that WE can't say one way or the other.

However, I'm not as persuaded as you that coaches can't say. Why would coach say that LJ needs to be more confident while saying that MJ doesn't lack any confidence if he didn't have a sense that this could be determined?

Don't you allow that it is a legitimate use of the word "better" or "best" on the one hand to speak simply of ability and on the other hand to speak of ability when the pressure is on?

Anyway, I was just saying that I thought yall were talking past each other. If you think your way of looking at it is the only possible way, then that's fine.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we get two TD's down and need to pass late we are likely going to see a change.
If the QB misses his checks a few times we will likely see a change.
If the QB turns it over a couple of times we will likely see a change.
If we have a big lead in the 4th quarter we will likely see a change.
I hope it is the later.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
OK, I appreciate you. By the way, I agree with you that WE can't say one way or the other.

However, I'm not as persuaded as you that coaches can't say. Why would coach say that LJ needs to be more confident while saying that MJ doesn't lack any confidence if he didn't have a sense that this could be determined?

Don't you allow that it is a legitimate use of the word "better" or "best" on the one hand to speak simply of ability and on the other hand to speak of ability when the pressure is on?

Anyway, I was just saying that I thought yall were talking past each other. If you think your way of looking at it is the only possible way, then that's fine.
I ageee 100% with your comments about LJ and MJ. Personally, I think TM will be the starter. But thats just speculation on my end.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For me to start a guy at QB who had less experience (or none), he would have to be performing CLEARLY better in practice and scrimmages and I can't emphasize the word "clearly" enough. If there are marginal differences, then I think you have to go with maturity and experience every single time. The reasons for this are many. First of all, every single player out there is putting in a ton of work. There is a lot of sacrifice in this sport. Those of them who have waited their turn, or maybe even have been starting, deserve to be rewarded for their time and efforts if there is negligible difference between competitors. The younger guys will get their turn. There is an eligibility limit. You will lose a team faster than anything if you push young guys ahead without having made them clearly prove it. Having said that, everybody wants to win, first and foremost. If a younger kid is killing it, everyone will know. Players aren't stupid. They know who is making plays, who is hard to tackle, who they can't catch, who puts the ball on the money, who makes the best reads, who hangs on to the ball, who jukes them out of their shoes, who hits the hardest, who they can't keep out of the EZ on short and goal practice. My experience tells me that teams will rally around the younger kid when these things are self evident. My message to any young player would be "if you want to play, then it is your job to make it impossible to keep you off the field, otherwise take a seat and watch and learn."

TECH fans don't have to look too far in the past to see a case where this was handled poorly. Donnie Davis was a QB who had talent and had been in the system a little while and was developing. The coach never to be named started a brand new kid, who, by all accounts, wasn't killing it in comparison and the rest is history. That was a fractured team because of it.

If we are in the situation where a young gun has separated himself, then great for us. Nobody will be happier than me. 4 years of consistency is a beautiful thing for any program. I just have no clue as to what is actually happening right now. It is no secret that I have mentioned a current QB that I think will rise to the top eventually and make it impossible to keep him off the field. However, you won't hear me calling for him to start right now, nor predicting such, because I can't see how he is progressing. Every kid is different. The truth is, I have no idea how the whole competition is going at all between any of them. It is a little unsettling but exciting at the same time.

Who should start? Imagine you are in enemy territory, moving through the jungle, leading a recon mission in a small unit. Everybody's life is on the line and mission is critically important. Who are you going to put on "point"in your formation, the guy who shot 10 points better on the range last week, or the guy who has done it before successfully? Just saying. Football isn't life and death, but you may not want to suggest that to a CFB fan from the south.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
For me to start a guy at QB who had less experience (or none), he would have to be performing CLEARLY better in practice and scrimmages and I can't emphasize the word "clearly" enough. If there are marginal differences, then I think you have to go with maturity and experience every single time. The reasons for this are many. First of all, every single player out there is putting in a ton of work. There is a lot of sacrifice in this sport. Those of them who have waited their turn, or maybe even have been starting, deserve to be rewarded for their time and efforts if there is negligible difference between competitors. The younger guys will get their turn. There is an eligibility limit. You will lose a team faster than anything if you push young guys ahead without having made them clearly prove it. Having said that, everybody wants to win, first and foremost. If a younger kid is killing it, everyone will know. Players aren't stupid. They know who is making plays, who is hard to tackle, who they can't catch, who puts the ball on the money, who makes the best reads, who hangs on to the ball, who jukes them out of their shoes, who hits the hardest, who they can't keep out of the EZ on short and goal practice. My experience tells me that teams will rally around the younger kid when these things are self evident. My message to any young player would be "if you want to play, then it is your job to make it impossible to keep you off the field, otherwise take a seat and watch and learn."

TECH fans don't have to look too far in the past to see a case where this was handled poorly. Donnie Davis was a QB who had talent and had been in the system a little while and was developing. The coach never to be named started a brand new kid, who, by all accounts, wasn't killing it in comparison and the rest is history. That was a fractured team because of it.

If we are in the situation where a young gun has separated himself, then great for us. Nobody will be happier than me. 4 years of consistency is a beautiful thing for any program. I just have no clue as to what is actually happening right now. It is no secret that I have mentioned a current QB that I think will rise to the top eventually and make it impossible to keep him off the field. However, you won't hear me calling for him to start right now, nor predicting such, because I can't see how he is progressing. Every kid is different. The truth is, I have no idea how the whole competition is going at all between any of them. It is a little unsettling but exciting at the same time.

Who should start? Imagine you are in enemy territory, moving through the jungle, leading a recon mission in a small unit. Everybody's life is on the line and mission is critically important. Who are you going to put on "point"in your formation, the guy who shot 10 points better on the range last week, or the guy who has done it before successfully? Just saying. Football isn't life and death, but you may not want to suggest that to a CFB fan from the south.
Great post, and I did get knowledge of the split team over the QB situation! Players actually were in complete turmoil over who should start. One of the Qb's had players on the other side come to his house to scare him off! I think that coach ruined his career by a play that he had set up to use that Qb's speed! It was a play that was set up by putting the other QB in a play that completely ruined that kids future football career!!!