Playing Time for Jordan Yates

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
LOL. What data do we have that says at the Collegiate Lvl, Gleason or Yates will be better? Please tell me, you're reaching with that statement and you know it.

Yates and Gleason were projected and rated as collegiate QB's whereas Graham wasn't, except by an option team. Doesn't mean Graham won't grow into it and become something like Nick Marshall, but the jury is out. Let them compete and see who emerges.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Yates has 3 games left to play in. I say we play him against UVA, NC State, and Georgia. And we play Tobias Oliver against VT to give them a double dose of what we did to them last year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If coaches think he is ready, play Yates as much as we want this year.

To heck with red shirt.

If he is the one then he will have 3 more years left.

Most likely, in 2 years, there will be 2 much better QBs on the roster than him.

Unnecessary gnashing of teeth.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This would be true of any QB in any program. I guess my question is should we never play the backups because they might set themselves up for unfair expectations?

What really should happen is that fans should be more realistic. Just because any QB (starter, backup, ...) has a bad series doesn't mean that he should never play football again. Similarly, just because a backup QB makes some good plays when the starter is hurt or in trash time doesn't mean that he will perform at that level every time. I'm not saying that bad decisions/plays shouldn't be called out, or that incredible individual plays shouldn't be highlighted. However, fans shouldn't look at such good/bad plays in a vacuum and trounce or praise a player in general based on them.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates and Gleason were projected and rated as collegiate QB's whereas Graham wasn't, except by an option team. Doesn't mean Graham won't grow into it and become something like Nick Marshall, but the jury is out. Let them compete and see who emerges.

Yates was listed as a qb but it wasn’t like he has a ton of offers.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yates was listed as a qb but it wasn’t like he has a ton of offers.

He didn't, and I've wondered about that. But I really believe he would have gotten more if he :

A. was two inches taller
B. didn't commit to running the triple option early

Supposedly, teams were sniffing around after the coaching change. It is very possible that he got additional offers, but never reported them.

I will admit to a bias here, though. I am a big Yates fan. I appreciate that he committed to Tech despite the people in his ear about the offense and I also appreciate that he kept his commitment with the coaching change. Absolutely loved watching him at Milton and he had me watching more high school football last year than I had watched in years. So, for a lot of reasons, I want to see what he can do and hope he is successful.

By the same token, I appreciate the work Graham has put in, too, and the fact he stuck with us when the going got tough in the classroom. I can't be mad, regardless of who wins out. Gleason seems like a great kid, too.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
It is an endless cycle. When TO was playing the best thing was to use LJ or JG according to the forums. When LJ was playing the best thing was to use JG according to the forums. While JG is playing the best thing is to put in Yates. When Yates gets in everyone will be looking forward to Gleason. When Gleason gets in everyone will be looking forward to the next guy.

It doesn't even take a lot. One missed throw, one missed read, or one missed cut on a run is enough for the crowd to believe that the backup is much better than the current QB. It has been happening at GT for a long time. It has been happening at most schools for a long time also.
Best analysis I have read in a while. Just like the one that expects VAST improvement from average players after another year of experience and "hard work" in the weight room. Hope springs eternal , but the bottom line is, we have to have many more really good players than we have now, and that is going to take a couple of years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What really should happen is that fans should be more realistic. Just because any QB (starter, backup, ...) has a bad series doesn't mean that he should never play football again. Similarly, just because a backup QB makes some good plays when the starter is hurt or in trash time doesn't mean that he will perform at that level every time. I'm not saying that bad decisions/plays shouldn't be called out, or that incredible individual plays shouldn't be highlighted. However, fans shouldn't look at such good/bad plays in a vacuum and trounce or praise a player in general based on them.

So again, where is talking about his playing some snaps as a backup wrong? The coaches can't control the fans reactions, but that's not their job. Their job is to develop players to win football games. Getting Yates some snaps is part of his development.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody questioning Graham's talent: check out his offer list. 4 star with offers from Bama, ugag, WVU, VT, Miami, Michigan, etc. The guy we don't get very often. Time will tell whether or not he's our QB though.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So again, where is talking about his playing some snaps as a backup wrong? The coaches can't control the fans reactions, but that's not their job. Their job is to develop players to win football games. Getting Yates some snaps is part of his development.

yep, it is concerning that Yates doesn't show enough in practice to even get a SNIFF of time on a team that avg 10 pts a game on offense.(pathetic).Either he hasn't got it or they can't see it.Either is NOT good.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure why everyone is assuming Graham is not going to be a solid QB with some experience. I am also a UF fan and Trask had played like a Heisman candidate until the UGA game. While Trask had some pressure , he just had a bad game - it happens on all levels. Lets see if Graham can get back on track and continue to progress before we write him off.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I haven't said it is wrong for him to get snaps. I haven't singled out your posts about him. I am simply saying that fans shouldn't be so down on Graham(or Johnson or Oliver) and that they shouldn't put too much expectations on Yates. I don't think you have been saying anything like that.(some QBs aren't good enough or some are sure to be superstars). In this thread there are examples of other people saying such things. There are even examples of people saying Yates is no good in this thread even though they have only seen him play one down in college. You are not doing the things I am complaining about, but others are.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Gleason has the upper hand on everyone because he’s the staffs guy, we got him early and turned away lots of QBs including one from Atlanta. I’m not saying they are better, but they are more of a fit in the staffs eyes.
That’s not a smart move if that’s what they did. Having more than 1 option is highly preferable.