Playing Time for Jordan Yates

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
It is an endless cycle. When TO was playing the best thing was to use LJ or JG according to the forums. When LJ was playing the best thing was to use JG according to the forums. While JG is playing the best thing is to put in Yates. When Yates gets in everyone will be looking forward to Gleason. When Gleason gets in everyone will be looking forward to the next guy.

It doesn't even take a lot. One missed throw, one missed read, or one missed cut on a run is enough for the crowd to believe that the backup is much better than the current QB. It has been happening at GT for a long time. It has been happening at most schools for a long time also.

Not really for some you have to see how things go ultimately and adjust with common sense. I for one been ringing Yates name from High School reminds me so much of Russell Wilson in skillset and is a winner but before season started I was like most and felt LJ fit more into what the new offense was looking for and let Yates redshirt in this down year but when live bullets started flying it was obvious who was more ready to go try and make plays and had talent to do so in Graham. I'm routing for Graham as a fan but it ain't like he's slammed the door on any other option and mostly by his own doing by being so up and down on passing. We might as well get Yates some snaps not burning his redshirt and let's see how he goes thru progressions and reads... I know he can deliever a accruate pass, mechanics are solid, his ability to evade and create downfield is legit as well so let's get him some reps

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not really for some you have to see how things go ultimately and adjust with common sense.

Washington isn't getting it done. Lee is the answer. If the coaches would just put him in everything will be perfect, GT will win the MNC. The next year: Lee isn't getting it done, if the coaches would just put in Thomas, GT will win the MNC. There were even some people who said that we should have replaced Thomas when he had a bad game or made some bad plays. Then, Marshall isn't getting it done, we should put in Jordan, or Oliver, or Johnson. Then this year, Oliver isn't getting it done we should put in... Johnson isn't getting it done we should put in.... Graham isn't getting it done we should put in....​

As I said, it is an endless cycle. One bad series or game and the next guy is the answer to everything, until he has a bad series or game, then it is the next guy.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Washington isn't getting it done. Lee is the answer. If the coaches would just put him in everything will be perfect, GT will win the MNC. The next year: Lee isn't getting it done, if the coaches would just put in Thomas, GT will win the MNC. There were even some people who said that we should have replaced Thomas when he had a bad game or made some bad plays. Then, Marshall isn't getting it done, we should put in Jordan, or Oliver, or Johnson. Then this year, Oliver isn't getting it done we should put in... Johnson isn't getting it done we should put in.... Graham isn't getting it done we should put in....​

As I said, it is an endless cycle. One bad series or game and the next guy is the answer to everything, until he has a bad series or game, then it is the next guy.

I agree normally. There have been posters on these boards that are always huge fans of the backup QB.

This situation, however, is different. So far, you really can't point to any of our QBs having played at a more than baseline competent level in a game this season. None have cemented the job, or even really laid a framework for the cement. Therefore, the fans desiring to see the possible future QB get some snaps during his freshman year is understandable. If you note my post early on, I even said I wouldn't play him if the game was close and winning with JG/LJ was possible.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was told that the plan for Yates all along was to redshirt him unless he clearly won out in the summer, which he didn't, and being a brand new freshman on campus, that's not shocking. Apparently he's been developing quite wel,l and there was consideration to play him, but the season is shot so the staff made the decision to redshirt him for sure.

That's the point I was making. Yates clearly is NOT on "another level" from Graham at the moment. If we was, he'd be the starter or at least playing a lot of minutes. This staff is very image conscious, and I have ZERO doubt they would burn Yates's redshirt if they thought he could help the team and help them in recruiting.

Redshirting for the future is great, but getting a seasoned QB for the future is more important. There's something to be said for letting a high level talent develop and get experience even when the team is struggling. If their plan is to redshirt Gleason, than it makes more sense to let Yates play if hes "on another level" as it would give Gleason and Yates two years of separation as opposed to just one.

I think at this point in the season, since the season is clearly a wash, and there's no point losing an entire year of eligibility, they will keep Yates's redshirt. I definitely think Yates will get snaps because they want to see what they have and they have 3 games to do due to new redshirt rule.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
None of the coaches have expressed another level with Yates. CDP stated Graham is the starter and needs his reps. I hope Yates and Gleason are all world and if so then they’ll beat out Graham.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree normally. There have been posters on these boards that are always huge fans of the backup QB.

This situation, however, is different. So far, you really can't point to any of our QBs having played at a more than baseline competent level in a game this season. None have cemented the job, or even really laid a framework for the cement. Therefore, the fans desiring to see the possible future QB get some snaps during his freshman year is understandable. If you note my post early on, I even said I wouldn't play him if the game was close and winning with JG/LJ was possible.

I don't disagree that no one has taken control of the position this year. My observation is in anointing the backup as the "answer" at the position. This year it was LJ is "the answer" since TO hasn't been lighting it up. Then JG is "the answer" and the future of the position since LJ hasn't been lighting it up. Now it is JY is "the answer" and the guy who will be the future of the position. And I predict, as soon as people see JY play, Gleason will be "the answer". Then as soon as people see Gleason play, someone else will be "the answer".

All of the guys who have played QB this year have outstanding abilities, and all of them have limitations. In my opinion: The team could have probably won more games with TO at QB, but he doesn't match what the new coaches want. With at least a minimum level of protection, LJ could have done amazing things this year. Just look at him in the second half of the Pitt game until he was injured. The offense was moving the ball pretty well. JG has plenty of talent and can do amazing things. It appears to me that the game at this level is still moving to fast for him.

I don't see that kind of discussion. I see people ditching and dismissing current guys for a projected savior in whoever the next guy is. It almost sounds like fast weight loss diet fads. ... Oh the grapefruit diet doesn't actually work, but this new chew as much bubble gum as you want diet is the real deal and leads to long term weight loss....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
None of the coaches have expressed another level with Yates. CDP stated Graham is the starter and needs his reps. I hope Yates and Gleason are all world and if so then they’ll beat out Graham.

None of the coaches have said that about Yates. It was a poster who made that statement...some of us are saying that if it was the case Yates would be the starter.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
None of the coaches have said that about Yates. It was a poster who made that statement...some of us are saying that if it was the case Yates would be the starter.

Exactly. Yates would be playing if he’s was so strongly above the other qb’s.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't disagree that no one has taken control of the position this year. My observation is in anointing the backup as the "answer" at the position. This year it was LJ is "the answer" since TO hasn't been lighting it up. Then JG is "the answer" and the future of the position since LJ hasn't been lighting it up. Now it is JY is "the answer" and the guy who will be the future of the position. And I predict, as soon as people see JY play, Gleason will be "the answer". Then as soon as people see Gleason play, someone else will be "the answer".

All of the guys who have played QB this year have outstanding abilities, and all of them have limitations. In my opinion: The team could have probably won more games with TO at QB, but he doesn't match what the new coaches want. With at least a minimum level of protection, LJ could have done amazing things this year. Just look at him in the second half of the Pitt game until he was injured. The offense was moving the ball pretty well. JG has plenty of talent and can do amazing things. It appears to me that the game at this level is still moving to fast for him.

I don't see that kind of discussion. I see people ditching and dismissing current guys for a projected savior in whoever the next guy is. It almost sounds like fast weight loss diet fads. ... Oh the grapefruit diet doesn't actually work, but this new chew as much bubble gum as you want diet is the real deal and leads to long term weight loss....

I agree with all you are saying but I think you are projecting a lot in this thread. There is actually little call in this thread for JY to be the starting QB. Throughout the season, the fan base has gone between TO, LJ, and JG, and very little has been said about JY. This thread was not created to imply that JY should be starting, and as the OP on this thread, I was simply sharing a news article and agreeing with the decision to get him some snaps in live action. The assumption that the fans are calling fr him to start is one you've largely made with little evidence on this thread. Other than a few posters, myself included, who are high on the upside of JY, I haven't seen this thread devolve into a start JY now petition at all. If anything, most here have been ambivalent about the possibility.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
What Augusta said I haven't seen any real calls to say Yates should been startinf from day one and things would've been much different. Some of us are high on Yates but doesn't mean he should start rest of year or anything just that he should get some quality PT

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think we should line them all up and give it a rip. Put QB #1 in & he runs plays until he fails to get 4 yds or more, then yank him. In goes QB #2 & repeat the process. Then QB #3, then QB #4, then back to 1. Somebody scores a TD & he can play the whole next series. If they fumble or throw an INT, they’re out the rest of the half or game. Eventually one of these guys will want to play bad enough they’ll start having satisfactory plays every down. At that point you can bench the others.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think we should line them all up and give it a rip. Put QB #1 in & he runs plays until he fails to get 4 yds or more, then yank him. In goes QB #2 & repeat the process. Then QB #3, then QB #4, then back to 1. Somebody scores a TD & he can play the whole next series. If they fumble or throw an INT, they’re out the rest of the half or game. Eventually one of these guys will want to play bad enough they’ll start having satisfactory plays every down. At that point you can bench the others.
P'nut is that you?

Sorry couldn't pass that up :)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all you are saying but I think you are projecting a lot in this thread. There is actually little call in this thread for JY to be the starting QB. Throughout the season, the fan base has gone between TO, LJ, and JG, and very little has been said about JY. This thread was not created to imply that JY should be starting, and as the OP on this thread, I was simply sharing a news article and agreeing with the decision to get him some snaps in live action. The assumption that the fans are calling fr him to start is one you've largely made with little evidence on this thread. Other than a few posters, myself included, who are high on the upside of JY, I haven't seen this thread devolve into a start JY now petition at all. If anything, most here have been ambivalent about the possibility.

I probably am projecting some, but there have been posts that have said he should get playing time because either he or Gleason are the future of the program.

I will be happy to see him get some playing time to see what he can do. However, I think that unless he lights it up and takes over the team, the fans expectations for him are going to be unfair. If he doesn't make good plays, some fans will decide he should never play the position again. If he makes some very good plays against the other teams backups, some fans will expect that he is going to play that way every down of every game against the other teams' starters, and be disappointed when he can't.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Is LJ hurt? I think he went to the locker room after his fumble against Pitt.
I believe if Yates gets any real PT it will/should be because LJ is hurt. Apparently he has an "upper body injury," likely from that hit he took.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
[emoji23]

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
LOL. What data do we have that says at the Collegiate Lvl, Gleason or Yates will be better? Please tell me, you're reaching with that statement and you know it.
Gleason has the upper hand on everyone because he’s the staffs guy, we got him early and turned away lots of QBs including one from Atlanta. I’m not saying they are better, but they are more of a fit in the staffs eyes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I probably am projecting some, but there have been posts that have said he should get playing time because either he or Gleason are the future of the program.

I will be happy to see him get some playing time to see what he can do. However, I think that unless he lights it up and takes over the team, the fans expectations for him are going to be unfair. If he doesn't make good plays, some fans will decide he should never play the position again. If he makes some very good plays against the other teams backups, some fans will expect that he is going to play that way every down of every game against the other teams' starters, and be disappointed when he can't.

This would be true of any QB in any program. I guess my question is should we never play the backups because they might set themselves up for unfair expectations?